Surge

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Surge

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:45 am

Anyone heard of the surge (Discraft fast driver)?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Surge

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:03 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Anyone heard of the surge (Discraft fast driver)?

If it's the disc I think it is, Mike Randolph had a prototype of it at our Icebowl and he aced a 375-400' hole with it, he just wanted to see what the disc did. he's sponsored by Discraft. He told me it's Discrafts Answer to the Wraith.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: Surge

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Fritz wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote: He told me it's Discrafts Answer to the Wraith.

Yeah, that's what I was hearing. That Discraft had a wraithish disc. Any idea when it will be released?

If it's anything like the wraith, it is gonna be a good disc.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

surge

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm

If this is the disc I think Josh is talking about, it looks EXACTLY like the wraith, same rim/dominess. I saw a few guys throw it and it was super long. Looked like X plastic too. The discs were blank though, so I don't know if this is the one.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: surge

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:36 pm

twmccoy wrote:If this is the disc I think Josh is talking about, it looks EXACTLY like the wraith, same rim/dominess. I saw a few guys throw it and it was super long. Looked like X plastic too. The discs were blank though, so I don't know if this is the one.

Yeah, it's almsot an exact clone in feel and size. When I first held it I actaully thoguht it was an Innova Disc. Definately X Plastic. Not a clue as to the release.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Solty » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:24 pm

supposedly a speed of 12....also noted that it is a modified/retooled flash....with a thicker rim. High speed stable and low speed overstable

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

surge

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Now if discraft is smart, they'll make it in Z plastic, hype the hell out of it and sell a boatload. Thats the only problem I have with innova is that the champion wraith is only available as a CFR. Luckily the pro and star wraith are similar enough to fill this void. The durability of champion is unbeatable though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Solty » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:28 pm

i agree....w/ mccoy....i've smacked my fair share of trees..and have yet broke,gouged, or split a champion disc...i have broken z plastic and some dx.....and i've taken some nice slices outta pro and X plastic
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:42 pm

if you dont hit trees there is nothing to worry about. really i think they should release in both z and x not all ppl like the z plastic (me included).

does anyone actually have an idea of when this might get released?
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:29 pm

Smyith wrote:if you dont hit trees there is nothing to worry about. really i think they should release in both z and x not all ppl like the z plastic (me included).

does anyone actually have an idea of when this might get released?

I'm with you man; I like how x and pro flies better than z. I am yet to throw the cfr wraith (haven't dished out the cash).

I've actually expected discraft to come out with some kind of "star" blend. I was about to order a dozen wraiths or so, but I think I'll wait for this disc.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:30 pm

discraft star equiv = ESP

this is basically the DGA plastic, which is basically star plastic and has been in production for like 2 years.

z + x blend = grip + durability
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

plastic

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 pm

I also think that X flies better than Z, but I have z flashes that are 2 years old and still look pristine. Any X disc would be trashed after 2 years of use. Z is more overstable, but for durability it is right there with innova champion. I hope discraft releases the surge in both plastics. They can skip the pro D plastic though because that stuff is useless.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Mark Brunner » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:44 am

Honestly, gateways E plastic feels a lot like the star plastic to me.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:18 am

I've had opposite experiences also. Seems that my champion plastic beats up quicker than the z I have.

This esp? What discs have been released in this plastic?

So far, it seems like the life span of x plastic is about 6 months for me, unless I keep taking weeks off, then it's closer to 10 or so.

My wraith is holding up better than the starfire I through in the lake in Ingleside, but I'm sure other factors were involved, like me throwing the starfire more to learn it.

My x avengers are a different story....
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:47 am

Ive always found that champ beats up a bit faster than Z. Mabey its just the molds, some beat faster than others?

Grounds for thinking z is more durable, I have 3 champ orcs that are more beat than my one Z flash. The kicker, the orcs were in and out of my bag and the flash never left. It was funny when Id be playing with a new group, and I would throw a bomb with the flash, and then on the next hole I whip a cham orc out and throw a monster anny? Hey it worked, :lol:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Equipment