Surge

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Comparisons to a crush. It's sounding more like an avenger than a wraith.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:24 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Comparisons to a crush. It's sounding more like an avenger than a wraith.

I dont have a wraith to compare it too anymore. I compare it to a Crush because I dont have an avenger and the crush rated stability of 1.8 is the closest disc in my bag to compare it too. I've also thrown an Xs side by side with the surge on te same line and power level to get a idea of it's distance potential. The Xs has been the longest disc in my bag till I got this surge. In fact I broke 330 feet yesterday with it UPWIND. I've never come close to that even downwind. I've made 280 on a good day downwind. This was at least 330 feet against the wind. I threw it low with a slight anhyzer and good spin. She held her line for nearly all that way curving to the right steadily till it started to flatten out as it began to fade the wind pushed it down to a rest about 35 feet away from the 372' basket. I had no idea it went that far till I began looking for it.

I have thrown a wraith both fore and back hand on the same hole with a slower wind from same direction. The wraith did have some carry as I recall but never as well after it began to flatten out and fade. The wraith did seem to do well if you turned it over a bit and let it flatten out and carry. The surge seems to do that as well.

This disc has some serious glide (to use an Innova term). The lip reminds me of my old starfire actually. But a lot more stability at high speed release. At least for the way I throw.

Ok I'll shut up now.
Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:45 pm

I have the Avenger (x and z), wraiths in all plastics, ans Star SL. For me, the Surge is closest to the SL with glide between the avenger and the SL. It is nothing like the Crush for me either in feel or in flight. Seems like a decent disc, but I still can throw my Illusion farther.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Solty » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:28 pm

tried out my surge today. had a few holes i got to use and monster drive...

impressions....just like my semibeat cfr starfire....same line and all..

nothing like the crush at all..nor the wraith. i noticed the disc has a huge glide factor so throwing a lil anhyzer did the trick.

Bag Potential - 4 outta 10
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

surge

Postby twmccoy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:40 pm

If the surge only scores a 4 out of 10 for bag potential, what are your favorite drivers? Just curious.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Solty » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:48 pm

right now..

overstable - pro firebird
stable - cfr wraith & cfr starfire
pinpoint/straight - champ teebird
slightly understable - cfr teebird-l
turnover - champ roadrunner

bag potential...as quoted in my previous post is only because i only had 5 throws with it...the course i played was not too wide open for the big arm throws
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Surge

Postby Dupaloop3611 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:49 am

I played in a tournamentlast week sponsored by discraft and they released the surge to the public. the surge is made of "star" plastic(as innova would say). its pretty much discrafts answer to the wraith and the new star plastic. i bought one of course and threw it in between rounds. it throws just like the wraith. it is a little less stable then the wraith and has trouble with wind. i personaly say if you like Innova stay with the wraith, if you like discraft give the disc a try. after i got home from the tourney i sold the disc to someone else to make room for another wraith. look to see the surge at the bg ams in ky if you want one
-dupaloop-
Dupaloop3611
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:59 am

I still haven't thrown it, will buy one on my next order. Those that have thrown it have compared it to the x avenger but longer. It being less stable than the wraith worries me that it will not fight its way back if turned over.

How does it compare to a flash?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 am

I know it's not a popular suggestion, but you all need to get yourself an S Illusion. You will be pleasantly surprised. Beat in a little bit (or tuned) and you will throw this farther with much more control than the Wraith or Surge. I'm not knocking the others (I own 5 wraiths and 2 brand new Surges), I'm just saying there is better out there.

To stay on topic, I thought the Surge was a little harder to turn than the wraith. I liked the plastic a lot. It did go far. :)
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:36 am

Suggestions are always welcome. I think it would be worth a try. What scares me about Gateway discs is that they require a lot of breaking in.

My demon was worthless until I've beat it to hell. It's starting to resemble a gator. I haven't thrown any Discraft mid with the overstability of this; probably would be a drone. Could be my imagination, but I can notice it getting longer as I hit obstacles.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm

does the surge flip from hyzer better than the wraith?

I know it's not a popular suggestion, but you all need to get yourself an S Illusion. You will be pleasantly surprised. Beat in a little bit (or tuned) and you will throw this farther with much more control than the Wraith or Surge. I'm not knocking the others (I own 5 wraiths and 2 brand new Surges), I'm just saying there is better out there.

To stay on topic, I thought the Surge was a little harder to turn than the wraith. I liked the plastic a lot. It did go far. Smile

and I am waiting for someone willing to trade me an illusion, ive wanted to try one for a while. Will it flip from a hyzer well, or does it need to be broken in first (i kinda want to know if I want one illusion or a couple so I dont break one in and love it, and have to wait to break more in or not)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

illusion

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:48 pm

I found a nice pro plastic illusion at expo a while back. To me it flies just like the wraith, every bit as overstable. I think the wraith will go farther though because it is domier and has better glide. And no, the illusion does not hyzer flip at all. If you throw it hyzer it stays that way.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:30 pm

Thats what I thought, I really still want to try one and see how it flies beat in. I like the feel of them in my hand (never had the chance to throw one though), it was in the used bin at the wright life. Wish I had bought it :x
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

illusion

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:06 pm

The illusion has the same width rim as the wraith, but is shallower and a little harder to grip because of it. Basically if you can throw a wraith effectively, you could probably do OK with this one.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 am

I have and carry 4 Illusions as my main drivers. All are unique for me:

1 175g H Illusion. The H feels like really grippy pro plastic. This thing is beat to heck and a great long roller.
2 177g E Illusion. OOOOOVerstable. Use it for light to moderate wind, sweeping hyzers, and spike hyzers.
3 175g S Illusion*. Money. Nice, low, tight S curve. My go to driver.
4 168g S Illusion*. Flips like a dream. Goes forever downwind. This is the wraith killer.

* These discs were tuned and flew like this the 3rd or 4th time I threw them. They were way overstable to start with. Tuning these is almost necesary, but once you do it, they are awesome.

I hear a lot of people wanting consistency and there is no better way to get it than to beat in or tune an overstable disc. You can find Illusions (and I highly recommend the S version - Gateway's DX) at several online outlets including ebay. Worth the $10 IMHO. :D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment