Surge

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

illusion

Postby twmccoy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:55 am

Pretty sure my illusion is E plastic. It looks like white pearly champion plastic. Very overstable.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:05 am

Seriously, take it out to a field and tune it. Once you've tuned the overstable out of it, it will treat you well.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:07 am

do you turn the rim up (towards the flight plate) to make a disc less stable? Thats what I always thought, but the article on tuning the epic says oppisite, and that bending the disc down lowers the nose and makes it less stable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

epic

Postby twmccoy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:02 pm

I tried bending the epic rim up and down, but neither way worked and that disc still flies like a brick.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:58 pm

the only times I threw an epic backhand I would tune it one way and it would be super overstable, and then turn it back and super understable. Even if I though I got it tuned right, it would need retuning after a throw or two.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:05 pm

I bend the rim downwards from the center to make it less stable. I like to hold it at 11 and 1 and bend it, and move around the disc bending about a dozen times. You can also kinda fold it like a taco, but that doesn't get it shaped as evenly.

Basically, all you're trying to do is just bend the disc slightly out of shape. When you bend it you can also give some discs a bit more dome, which will help especially for the glide during the turn of the flight.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:17 am

You bend down to make more understable, and up to make overstable. Don't know why it works, but it does. Don't bend both ways, though. Only the way you want and then move to the next spot on the disc. Mine stay tuned indefiniteley. You're not trying to "beat up" the disc, just change the way it is shaped a bit. Bend it in 3-4 places around the rim and be done with it. Has worked on Z Crushes, H,E,S Illusions, Z Avenger, and E Spirit. This method really beats the tragic abuse people put their discs through to try and beat them in. This doesn't work for me with mids or putters, but for drivers, it's the shiznit!!! :twisted:
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 am

I really need to throw this disc to see how it works for me. It still sounds like an avenger though.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:36 am

I have a 168 Surge.

I like this disc. It is Wraith distance, but much easier to throw. It is less no angle sensitive and flips up easier. It also works both ways for me. I taco the disc down before I throw for a fade and up for the left die. The adjustment will last for about 30 seconds and then the disc will return to its original shape every time. The plastic is not "star" but something better, I think.

The plastic is awesome. The grip is great. It also appears to be simply indestructible. Mine has yet to show a scratch, even after I nearly aced #6 at Owen and skipped the disc off of the asphalt that surrounds the basket.

I shot -4 for 9 holes, and never threw any other other "overstable drivers".

I decided I will take all the of the Wraiths and Orcs out of my bag for a few rounds and simply throw the Surge.

BTW this is all part of the "Blake" plan. I started to notice that I was "flipping" discs I should not be flipping, as my release was become progressively more "torqued" to handle all of the overtable drivers I was throwing. The Surge lets me release flat, and that's all. I do not throw the Surge any different than a Roc.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 02, 2006 9:46 am

Is it capable of huge S distance like my pro wraith though? I have one sitting in the closet; I can't wait to throw it!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue May 02, 2006 9:55 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:Is it capable of huge S distance like my pro wraith though? I have one sitting in the closet; I can't wait to throw it!

Almost.

The Pro Wraith is long.

The Surge is CFR Wraith long but flips nicer and fades less, S's more.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

surge

Postby twmccoy » Tue May 02, 2006 1:16 pm

I found a surge last weekend. Can't wait to try it. Has flash like rim but way more dome. Looks like it will fly forever.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: surge

Postby Pagan » Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 pm

the more I throw my Surge (ESP) the more I love it for just raw distance. I still preffer my tracker for more control, but on the wide open holes I love just turning the surge over and watching it sail... I've found it flies best (for me) slightly turned over and let it slowly turn back... My longest consistant drives have been with this disc.
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

surge

Postby twmccoy » Fri May 19, 2006 2:36 pm

I like my surge too, but in head to head distance competition with a pro starfire and pro wraith it got beat soundly. I'm sure if I had a lighter surge it would make a difference.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 19, 2006 2:43 pm

the z surges are out now.

much flatter than the esp.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment