Light Discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Light Discs

Postby DiscCrusher » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:49 pm

I throw almost exclusivley max weight discs because a while back when I had some light ones I saw that they went the same distance as my heavier ones. I switched to all heavy discs because they are better in the wind. So anyway I have a freind who has some 150-160 g discs in her bag. Today I tried them out and I felt like I got more snap on them, but just as always they went the same distance as my normal drivers. Does anyone else think that lighter discs do not go further? It seems that they may start out faster but they don't have as much momentum so they drop out quicker. I have no problem controlling them but I do not see any advantage to them, am I missing something?
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Solty » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 pm

personally i think lighter discs need a smoother release...and since they're lighter...a snap will be easier to get.

i think the heavy discs forgive sloppy releases as their weight helps there release momentum.

just my thoughts....but i dont know.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 pm

drivers always have greater distance potential in lighter weights since they will not have as strong of a gravitational pull on them towards the ground.

midrange discs use more momentum to continue their late flight carry and have greater distance potential in heavier weights.

in both cases, you need sufficient height under the throw to see noticeable results.

the more snap you have, the less noticeable the results will be, but very few players are strong enough to get equal snap on heavy and light discs.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby DiscCrusher » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:04 pm

I don't know, I can definately feel more snap, maybe I would just need to throw those discs higher than I was to see a difference. Either way I'll stick with what I know for now and possibly try out some lighter stuff again down the road. Also I was throwing hyzer flip s-curves like I would with my sidewinders and roadrunners which usually come up a few feet shorter than my flash or wraith thrown flat, so maybe I should have just tried some flat or anhyzer throws before saying they don't get the distance.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Smyith » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:22 pm

i have noticed better distance in lighter weights but not that much. the main factor of weight for myself is fade and wind varibles.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

light discs

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:43 pm

I don't really notice a difference in distance between light and heavy discs. I actually prefer the mid weight ones (165-172g). I get my best throws with discs in these weights. The one disc that doesn't fit this mold is the wraith. I can throw max weight wraiths as far as any other disc I have in any weight. Sometimes the super light discs are fun to throw, but you never really know where they're going. And in the wind forget it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby DiscCrusher » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Well I pulled my old 168g DX beast out a few days ago to give another shot. I had put it up because of all the windy days. This disc is very beat in. Well pretty much every other disc I throw is max weight and I didn't give much thought to the lighter weight of this one. I've noticed that this disc is going 10-20 feet past my longest drives when I get a good rip on it. I was thinking all day that it was because it's a beat DX disc with a ton of glide, but I'm now also thinking that it has to do with the lighter weight because I really feel a big snap when I throw it. I love this disc and I'm wondering if there are still DX Beasts in the old mold? I'm pretty sure this isn't a 2x because I have thrown new champion beasts and this one is not like it. It's pretty understable now but that is after a year or two of tree smacks. This disc makes me want to try DX again but I bought an orc a couple months back and 1 big tree hit and it was trash. :(
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm

about 50% of the new dx beasts coming out are old mold and the other half being new.

thing with dx is it forces you to play smarter. e.g. you will NOT throw 100% power trying to thread a 2' wide gap (but imo, you should never do this with any disc, regardless of its plastic). oddly enough, most players i have seen (at any skill level) do try to throw 100% to hit near impossible gaps.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:04 pm

I moved down in weights and moved down to slower discs and my game has improved a lot.

I've been having good success with a 150-class Element. I figured if it could improve my game, it could improve other peoples games so I stocked up on them.

Me personally, I can't throw the wraiths and the other super high speed discs - I just don't have the arm for it (yet)...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Return to Equipment