the Destroyer

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby bigs348 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 am

I've been using my Destroyers for a little over 2 months now. I had given up on Wraiths and TeeRexes (and I didn't find the TeeRex-X to be that stable...) and was using Avengers for distance. (Max with X Avengers was probably 410-420, 380-390 with Z.) I found the 1st Destroyer I got (a 170 first run star stamp) to be very similar in flight to my Z Avengers, just faster and longer. It's broken in now, but even brand new, I didn't think it was that overstable. The HSS seemed pretty good, but the LSS wasn't too much to work with. I've since thrown a 175 Star which was a pig, a 172 Pro which I only threw a handful of times and wasn't a fan of, and a newish 172 Star stock stamp that is now my overstable D since the 170 is sufficiently beat in.

The thing is definitely fast. It's odd though, it doesn't seem that much faster than Wraiths or TeeRexes, but it just stays faster for so much longer. The biggest thing I've noticed, is that even when I'm off in my throw and it comes out badly, it still goes forever.

When I get it turned over, it doesn't behave very nicely though. The disc is so gyroscopic, that it just seems to want to hold the angle and I have a hard time getting it to flex back in time. So I tried throwing anhyzer for distance, and it wasn't stable enough to get a full flight. I tested against my Z Avengers, and they were way further given the height and the anhyzer angle.

Spike hyzers are sweet with these, too. I like throwing completely vertical spike hyzers, and I can get sooo much height on these babies to clear anything.

So I like it. I carry two now, my beat 170 and a new 172. For wide open distance, I'm impressed. A couple times a year you hear about the newest, fastest, longest disc and I usually find them nothing special. This thing really goes though.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 am

is that even when I'm off in my throw and it comes out badly, it still goes forever

This was the most positive aspect of the destroyer for me.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

destroyer

Postby twmccoy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:54 am

I was throwing one of my 175 destroyers on the practice field today. It performed great into a headwind and equally impressive downwind. This disc is truly a marvel.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:07 pm

Here aee my impressions after 2 or so monthes of use.

Nice distance disc. Fast and Fairly predictable. Easy to get to you max D much more easily.

I don't use it to incredibly much. I played the friz and it was 4 rounds and I think I threw it about 2 or 3 time. They weren't the longest courses and it was windy as hell. On the normal 5 courses I play I only throw it about 1 or 2 times per round, but I don't find it necessary. I usually use a Teebird or Firebird. Those are good for 380-390 consistantly on golf lines. I just went to a football field and was throwing goal post to goal post and passing them so that's fairly accurate. The Destroyers were going in the 410ish range consistantly with a few more going longer.

I think this is a great disc and it has its uses. Not for everyone.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:35 pm

It's droped a shot or two off my average scores due to the added distance. On my home course there are a lot of holes where I don't care where it's going as long as it goes far. GREAT for big hyzers
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby twmccoy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:02 pm

Yeah, many of the courses here are open and have holes from 400-600' long, so the destroyer is handy to have. I'm guessing a lot of the courses back east are in the trees and have much shorter holes. It is definitely not a finesse disc.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:00 am

Anymore reviews on the PRO destroyers? I have a couple on the way and I'm getting antsy to toss them and I want to know what to expect.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby x-out » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 am

PRO= More stable out of the box than any other version. once you hit a few objects with it= less HSS (doesn't hide OAT) and becomes very straight in flight.

PRO'S= turn over bombs and rollers
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby niuvalleycane » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:04 pm

x-out wrote:PRO= More stable out of the box than any other version. once you hit a few objects with it= less HSS (doesn't hide OAT) and becomes very straight in flight.

PRO'S= turn over bombs and rollers

agree, in order of stability imo (my Ds are all fairly new)

Pro>Champ>Star
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby x-out » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:17 pm

once worn in

Champ>Star>Pro
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:49 pm

x-out wrote:once worn in

Champ>Star>Pro

It is my understanding that this breakdown holds true amonst all molds
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:44 pm

Hmm, I only have one Destroyer, and only use it on holes where it has a low chance of hitting trees (a rarity around these parts), so I can't really compare it against others. Friends of mine though have said that the stars are way more stable than the champs. We haven't gotten any Pros around yet, so can't say about those. Oh, that's in reference to the first run stars...don't know if they've changed since, but knowing innova, they probably have.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:49 am

To all the guys who have the pros, are they super domey? I got 2 yesterday and they are Mega Domey!!!
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Timko » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:50 am

dgdave wrote:To all the guys who have the pros, are they super domey? I got 2 yesterday and they are Mega Domey!!!

I haven't thrown one, but the ones I've seen all have hella dome.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 am

My pro has a large dome as well. Could be the big stamp on it that causes this (2008 Golden State Classic)
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment