RIPT

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

RIPT

Postby Smyith » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:13 pm

has anyone played the RipT card game for disc golf yet? it sounds like it could be kinda fun.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Brunner » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:14 pm

I have played it a few times and personally I do not like it and will probably never play it again.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Re: RIPT

Postby presidio hills » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:22 am

Smyith wrote:has anyone played the RipT card game for disc golf yet? it sounds like it could be kinda fun.

it can be kind of fun to play a different game but still be throwing disc. i like how people can call mandos and that ctp is always worth a card. i dislike how it slows a round down )and some of the cards are lame (switch scores? no 2 meter rule?). my buddy had it and i just kept saying "nah, i'd rather just play golf".
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:27 am

ript is as fun or as lame as you make it. to be fun, it kind of requires a few things.

precursor to a fun ript round:
1) everyone is approximately equal skill level or handicapped to compensate (e.g. doubles partners matching strongest and weakest players together or 2 vs. 1, etc.) since winning holes and CTP's yields cards. if you are playing against someone much better than you (or vice versa) it will only increase the margin of victory.
2) it works best if you play it with people you know well/friends.
3) everyone treats it with a similar level of competitiveness. competitiveness tends to get heightened in this game, which tends to widen the seriousness margin between players that are overly or underly competitive. if everyone is super competitive you will likely end up with a lot of arguments over CTP's... and this is only really "worthwhile" if both parties are willing to argue equally until you finally pace it off.
4) playing with no one that is overly slow. if someone takes 2 minutes selecting a disc on every throw, they will likely spend 2 minutes selecting a card.

i enjoyed the game much more in doubles format and have had both good and bad experiences with it. if you have a regular group of buddies you bum around with that are relatively equal, it can be great fun.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby asimo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:35 am

I think it's fun.
asimo
Noob

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:56 am

ok what is a mando exactly i read about it all the time and have no idea what it means?
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:06 pm

its a mandatory obstacle. Like there can be a mando that you have to throw to the left of a specific tree, or a mando between a gap between two trees ect, its just an added difficulty.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:36 pm

I loved this game when I played it, it was a lot of fun and really added a lot more to this game in the sense of do I play the card here, or do I weight for a different throw that my opponent makes. Great game, but have a light heart when playing and also don't' be afraid to make someone throw something different specially if a lake is involved :twisted:

a fun story about a game I played, opponent thought it would be funny to pic the disc I threw on one of my favorite holes, This hole is 170ish over a lake with out of bounds 10 feet behind the basket and with the lake about 20 feet right of the basket as well. Kinda like a peninsula. Anyway so I love to throw my spider on this hole, and he knew that so he made me throw my putter, so I had the same card, I picked it and made him throw his Champ ORC :twisted: he tried to counter it, so I countered his counter with my counter and he made me discard my last card, so just like that no more cards and I'm teeing off with a putter on a short hole over a lake and he's having to use an Orc for 170 feet, with out of bounds close and short. Talk about having to be accurate.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:52 pm

it actually sounds like some fun since the course nearby or boring and spicing up the rounds would be nice. i dont know if its worth 8.95 though sounds like its not worth the price <shrug> wtf i might as well since i spend money on all sorts of random shit.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:56 pm

Smyith wrote:it actually sounds like some fun since the course nearby or boring and spicing up the rounds would be nice. i dont know if its worth 8.95 though sounds like its not worth the price <shrug> wtf i might as well since i spend money on all sorts of random shit.

Damn they upped the price? I bought my pack for 5.95 @ my local shop.

EDIT: I just checked www.sunkingdiscs.com and he has it listed @ 5.99
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am

josh, would that be hole 2 at expo?

You definately gave him the raw deal, Unless theres that headwind you get there sometimes thats an easy putter hole. I wouldnt know where to start throwing an orc there... Probably just throw a thumber...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:39 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:josh, would that be hole 2 at expo?

You definately gave him the raw deal, Unless theres that headwind you get there sometimes thats an easy putter hole. I wouldnt know where to start throwing an orc there... Probably just throw a thumber...

yes Hole 2 at Expo. I laughed my ass off when he threw it. He barely chucked it cause he was affraid of going OB on the other side into the #18 pond, and he almsot went in the #2 pond short!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Return to Equipment