Putters Off the Tee

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 pm

Ive been having similar luck with my putters off the tee lately also.
It was the only disc I threw on a real tough 460' hole during a tourney I played over the weekend. I took a three, which was better than 75% of the groups that played, and even with the other 25%

heres the hole

http://discdogs.netfirms.com/f8.htm

the path on left is ob, the waters ob, and the wrong side of the pond is ob, oh and the cat tails are about 5' tall knocking the discs that make it down, usually into the water, but if not its the wrong side of the painted ob line on the shore...

the fairway starts at about 15' wide, streatches to 30 in the middle, and shrinks to 10 pin high.

(also if you look through the rest of those, the course has changed a bit since those pics were taken, hole 8 is one of the few thats not even alittle differnt, the last 4 holes were completely re-located, and there are 3 or 4 pin placement for many of them, plus they often double holes for tourneys, like play from tee for 3 to basket to 4...)

very few attempt to drive the pin on this one (including all the "big guns" when the A teir high plains challenge is played here anually) Everyone shoots for par, those who try to drive the pin look at a circle 5, because its tough to drive the pin and cross land. I have hit the little 10' section to the left of the pin and skipped to OB in practice rounds. Laying up is the only tourney option.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am
Location: Longmont Co
Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:37 am

the wizard is more nose angle sensitive than a kc aviar.

i dug the 10x's but my wizards were more stable and longer with a similar flight path.

i dislike the 11x aviars.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:14 am

If I drive with a putter, I use my lovely Champ Rhyno. It's easy to control, I know where it's going and I'm very consistant with it.
I tried the Medium Wizard, but I jsut couldn't control it like I coudl the Rhyno so when driving with a putter it's all I'll use.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby trogdor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:50 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:Ive been having similar luck with my putters off the tee lately also.
It was the only disc I threw on a real tough 460' hole during a tourney I played over the weekend. I took a three, which was better than 75% of the groups that played, and even with the other 25%

heres the hole

http://discdogs.netfirms.com/f8.htm

the path on left is ob, the waters ob, and the wrong side of the pond is ob, oh and the cat tails are about 5' tall knocking the discs that make it down, usually into the water, but if not its the wrong side of the painted ob line on the shore...

the fairway starts at about 15' wide, streatches to 30 in the middle, and shrinks to 10 pin high.

(also if you look through the rest of those, the course has changed a bit since those pics were taken, hole 8 is one of the few thats not even alittle differnt, the last 4 holes were completely re-located, and there are 3 or 4 pin placement for many of them, plus they often double holes for tourneys, like play from tee for 3 to basket to 4...)

very few attempt to drive the pin on this one (including all the "big guns" when the A teir high plains challenge is played here anually) Everyone shoots for par, those who try to drive the pin look at a circle 5, because its tough to drive the pin and cross land. I have hit the little 10' section to the left of the pin and skipped to OB in practice rounds. Laying up is the only tourney option.


That's a great hole. You're missing the "Jesus Water Walking" option which is skipping off the water onto the 10' section right by the pin. I witnessed this on this hole a couple years ago by an Adv. Am.
trogdor
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:08 pm

wow, even with bird out there in waders I dont think I would attempt that shot :roll: , I was plenty happy with my "easy" par...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am
Location: Longmont Co
Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby kling » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:46 pm

Blake_T wrote:the wizard is more nose angle sensitive than a kc aviar.

i dug the 10x's but my wizards were more stable and longer with a similar flight path.

i dislike the 11x aviars.


How does JK Aviars (5x soft ones) compare to these regarding nose angle sensivity?
kling
Noob
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:50 am

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 pm

the jk's are less stable and less consistent.

they are less nose angle sensitive than kc aviars.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Postby kling » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:16 pm

Ah ok thanks. I'll stick to the JK:s then. Well at least 'til I can make enough consistant throws with nose down so that a switch to wizards would yield consistency :)
kling
Noob
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:50 am

Postby bigs348 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:31 pm

I liked the Wizards for a bit, but I never got consistent and they never felt all that good in my hand.

I use KC 10x's for driving, and they are amazing. I didn't like the 11x's, plus they got beat up way too quick.

I like JK 4x's for shorter floaty drives/approaches and anhyzers, and for long putts. The two I have are pretty trashed, so they'll hold a nice line for the long putts without turning and without a ton of fade at the end.

Star Aviar for putting all the way. I was skeptical, but the thing is beautiful. Grippy and soft, and it sticks pretty well. I've had a couple spit-outs with them, but they've miraculously made it in on a few bad putts as well.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:27 pm
Location: new jersey

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:49 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:Ive been having similar luck with my putters off the tee lately also.
It was the only disc I threw on a real tough 460' hole during a tourney I played over the weekend. I took a three, which was better than 75% of the groups that played, and even with the other 25%

heres the hole

http://discdogs.netfirms.com/f8.htm

the path on left is ob, the waters ob, and the wrong side of the pond is ob, oh and the cat tails are about 5' tall knocking the discs that make it down, usually into the water, but if not its the wrong side of the painted ob line on the shore...

the fairway starts at about 15' wide, streatches to 30 in the middle, and shrinks to 10 pin high.

(also if you look through the rest of those, the course has changed a bit since those pics were taken, hole 8 is one of the few thats not even alittle differnt, the last 4 holes were completely re-located, and there are 3 or 4 pin placement for many of them, plus they often double holes for tourneys, like play from tee for 3 to basket to 4...)

very few attempt to drive the pin on this one (including all the "big guns" when the A teir high plains challenge is played here anually) Everyone shoots for par, those who try to drive the pin look at a circle 5, because its tough to drive the pin and cross land. I have hit the little 10' section to the left of the pin and skipped to OB in practice rounds. Laying up is the only tourney option.


Wow, those are some old pics of that course. Some of those holes don't even exsist anymore. Man I wish #17 was still in that position. That's Killer!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Weebl » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:38 pm

Blake, I don't know how you find KC Aviars to be more stable than the JK Aviars, but I disagree. My floppy JK Aviar when cranked will not turn over unless released flat. My KC Aviars will sometimes flip even with a hyzer release, and they're heavier!
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: Monterey Bay, California

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Fritz wrote:
Wow, those are some old pics of that course. Some of those holes don't even exsist anymore. Man I wish #17 was still in that position. That's Killer!


Yeah, they definately werent like that when I played there the first time. Spring Fling was the first time I saw alot of the long positions.

With all the trees leafed out for High Plains I see a challenging course.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am
Location: Longmont Co
Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Wow, those are some old pics of that course. Some of those holes don't even exsist anymore. Man I wish #17 was still in that position. That's Killer!


Yeah, they definately werent like that when I played there the first time. Spring Fling was the first time I saw alot of the long positions.

With all the trees leafed out for High Plains I see a challenging course.


It is a very challenging course. Just wait until you see the Pessimist Course. It'll make you hurt and it lives up to it's name. Optimist is a great course to when those leaf grow out. Also I ehard there is going to be a new OB on #1, the area just left of the teebox about 30 feet left all the way to the fence is going to be OB so you basically have to throw down the pipe. :shock: good times. It's a shame Pessimist is only up for Tournaments. Wish they could make it a permanent course.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Previous

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests