PIAS - Great Finds

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: PIAS - Great Finds

Postby Booter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 am

Ive never been to ur pias trey and i want to punch that dude in his face and ask him if there was anything special about it
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Trey133 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 am

They're all "in the know" there.

It makes me feel sketched out to get questioned about the discs I buy... every single time.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 am

Here in Raleigh they don't ask you what's special about it b/c they already know.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby zj1002 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Here in Raleigh they don't ask you what's special about it b/c they already know.

same in Austin. I make sure to go when a certain person isn't working. And then I have to beat Disc Junkie, Booter and his crew to the punch.

I still don't know why they come dig through the Disc Nation bins. Its only good for stock stuff :D
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Trey133 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:41 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Here in Raleigh they don't ask you what's special about it b/c they already know.

And have a deal worked out with a certain pro (who will remain nameless) for anything valuable :)
Trey133

Postby Joz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Trey133 wrote:11x Teebird 8/10 at the Pineville Matthews PIAS. 6 bux.

The dude asked me what was special about it... I poker faced the shit out of him.

What's the dude's name? Is it Jason? I think he is the reason that for the most part there are nothing but crappy dx discs or champ beats or Vikings. Last year I routinely picked up nice stuff including a 1st Run SPD, CE firebird, and stock stamp echo star and first run star destroyers. Now its just a crapshoot.
Joz
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 pm

The pineville PIAS is great for beat rocs priced at like $3.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby dehaas » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 pm

i've got a buddy working at our local pias now, but we throw a lot of the same discs though. the nearest course is maybe 20 minutes away from the store, so they don't usually have a lot of used stuff to choose from, let alone many gems.

now that they have a disc golfer in their staff he's gotten on the ball and moved a lot of junk discs that have sat there for years. they're carrying lat, westside, mvp, and legacy now instead of just innova, discraft, discmania, and gateway.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby jtbingster2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I picked up a beat 11x KC Roc for $5 at PIAS in Brandon the other day. Didn't get asked about it. :D

Of course, that's by far the best used disc I've ever found there; that PIAS stinks.
jtbingster2
Noob

Postby Spinthrift » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:07 am

Jeez, there's a ton o' crap discs in the PIAS pile here. But somehow the growing ranks of "in the know" missed:
>Stiff, white, 168 1.1 SOLF (marked SOF), 9.5/10, no ink
>Taffy, white, 172 10X Eagle-X, 7/10 (in a very sweet way), no ink
With ten buck gift card from recent tourney players pack they cost me 70 cents.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:32 am

Joz wrote:
Trey133 wrote:11x Teebird 8/10 at the Pineville Matthews PIAS. 6 bux.

The dude asked me what was special about it... I poker faced the shit out of him.

What's the dude's name? Is it Jason? I think he is the reason that for the most part there are nothing but crappy dx discs or champ beats or Vikings. Last year I routinely picked up nice stuff including a 1st Run SPD, CE firebird, and stock stamp echo star and first run star destroyers. Now its just a crapshoot.

Yeah I havn't had much luck there lately either. Are you saying Jason is the reason nobody with good discs is trading there?

Alpine has a smaller selection of used discs, but it seems to be a much better selection.

Frank Delicious wrote:The pineville PIAS is great for beat rocs priced at like $3.

I have yet to see any of those in there...are you taking them all?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Trey133 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:41 am

I personally think Jason knows what is valuable and sells it separately. There is also the 777Salvage guy who knows discs very well and comes in every day almost.

I think they're in cohoots.
Trey133

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 am

Trey133 wrote:I personally think Jason knows what is valuable and sells it separately. There is also the 777Salvage guy who knows discs very well and comes in every day almost.

Really? I mean that might make sense, because the selection of good discs really has been slim (amidst the 500 beat-to-snot DX discs). I'll see if I can talk to Jason soon to see whats up. I want in on this! That 777 guy charges people almost retail for returning discs he finds. A lot of guys on the CDGC forum ripped into him for that.

However, a few months ago I found a new 11x Kc Eagle-x in the bin...maybe that was the end of it though.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Joz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 am

Spinthrift wrote:Jeez, there's a ton o' crap discs in the PIAS pile here. But somehow the growing ranks of "in the know" missed:
>Stiff, white, 168 1.1 SOLF (marked SOF), 9.5/10, no ink
>Taffy, white, 172 10X Eagle-X, 7/10 (in a very sweet way), no ink
With ten buck gift card from recent tourney players pack they cost me 70 cents.

Yeah I saw those yesterday.
Joz
Tree Magnet

Postby Joz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 am

Trey133 wrote:I personally think Jason knows what is valuable and sells it separately. There is also the 777Salvage guy who knows discs very well and comes in every day almost.

I don't know if they're in cohoots, but Jason has always quizzed me about first run stamps or how to identify certain discs. I've always tried to be mum on stuff like that, even when I lived in Chapel Hill and shopped at the Durham PIAS. But he obviously has done his homework. The only thing that he isn't good at (IMO) is identifying discs with tourney stamps that are worth something. For instance a couple of months ago I found and purchased 2 lightly used but GORGEOUS old school champ glow teebirds. He didn't know what they were, but I sure as hell did.
Joz
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment