Cobra That Doesn't Turn

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cobra That Doesn't Turn

Postby hurricanedavid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:17 pm

I bought a D Cyclone as my first disc. I played a round with it and came in second among the five of us (we were almost all noobs). So I didn't feel too bad about it.

But it kept coming out of my hand early, resulting in some really bad shots. I was also hoping to get a disc that didn't fade as much at the end of flight.

So I was reading like crazy a lot of info on this site (thanks Blake!) and saw that the Cobra was recommended. I was intrigued that it was supposed to fly right, then fade left, and it was also rated highly by some reviewers... so I bought one.

I'm happy I got it, but I'm having trouble getting it to turn right at high speed. Of 20 or more throws, it's only done the S-curve twice.

It's flying so straight for me that I used it as my driver during the last game. I came in second again.

:?: I'm wondering if I'm hyzering it just a little, which is negating the right turn at speed and causing it to go straight? If that's the case, then I need to work on my BH to get it more flat.

The X-step is feeling more natural to me, and a more experienced golfer who tagged along with us last time complemented me on my technique. So I think I'm coming along, but I know I have a lot to learn.
HurricaneDavid
power: X Buzzz goes 260 ft. at 80% effort
large hands
hurricanedavid
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:03 pm

I would say you are just not getting enough snap (spin) on it. Keep working on your release and rythm of your throw and it will slowly come. The cobra accually makes a great first driver. Once youre getting the cobra to turn a bit, I bet you will like the cyclone even more, youll find its a very straight driver that will get a bit longer than the cobra. Also once the cyclone breaks in it will loose a lot of the fade (which is one of the things that makes cyclones so great)

Also and i see now that your cobra is a champ model which will be more stable than the dx, generally meaning less turn and more fade.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby hurricanedavid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanks TDK,

I have an elbow injury (from a bike accident years ago) that's probably affecting my snap. I can't throw forehand at all. Maybe that's why I like disc golf so much: I fnally found a throwing sport where my elbow isn't in big time pain during play.

Having said that, I'll bet you are right on the money. The few times I managed to get it to right turn are probably those times where I've managed to get some decent snap into it.

Now I have a nice Snap-O-Meter! My Cobra. If it turns, I have some snap! Now I know what to work on (among other things).

Are there any specific ways (practice drills, etc) I can improve my snap? Or will it just come from normal practice?
HurricaneDavid
power: X Buzzz goes 260 ft. at 80% effort
large hands
hurricanedavid
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:44 pm

Snap is more from your hand though an injury could affect it. If you don't have enough power, discs like this will go straight for you. The disc should rip out of your hand.

I have a cobra though not from when I was a beginner. Understable is a good way to start until you improve. When I started, I used to throw in fields a lot until I got the desired path down. Be wary though, reinforcing incorrect form is bad. Look for players on your course that look like they know what they are doing and ask to join them.

I started with a cyclone myself.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 pm

could be related to not getting enough nose down.

beating a cobra up will also make it much easier to turn.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

practice

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Keep at it and don't worry about changing any discs right away. Before you change discs, perfect your form and practice with what you have. As you get better and throw farther, you will start to throw each disc more consistently and actually see what they do. Lets face it, nobody who first starts out is going to be great at this game. BTW, the cyclone is a good neutral disc for a beginner.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:58 pm

The actual snap puts spin on it which makes discs more stable, so I think Blake's dead on again, with not getting the nose down. Try to have the disc have a max of height of 10-15' for now, and what helped me in the beginning was imagining myself drawing a "D" during my throw. I did a semi-circle motion for my pull back, then pull the disc through on a straight line to the target completeing the letter D. Maybe even start with just a stationary throw for now, the x-step can get tricky.I'm trying to undo bad form i reinforced while learning backhand, and it's a bitch. If you do an X-step though, keep it slow and fluid; it will come with time. Happy chucking.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 pm

a 180g champion cobra is actually not an easy disc to turnover (make turn right) for someone starting out... until it gets beat up (may take 6 months to a year). it IS a great disc for a beginner to throw straight with a slight fade at the end. what you should do is go out and get a DX cobra, which will take about 6 rounds or so to beat in, then i think you'll have what your looking for. DX cobra is an awsome disc to start with... the champion will still be useful too, since it's harder to turn and will fade more.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment