Looking For Driver (Tried Cyclone and Ace)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking For Driver (Tried Cyclone and Ace)

Postby hurricanedavid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:42 pm

I went out golfing for the third time on Sunday, and went early to warm up and to test out my new Ace. On the site, i think the Ace was recommended for someone my skill level as a good starter driver (which is why I bought it).

However, I found, after a few throws, that my Cobra was easier (i.e., I felt it was more natural) to throw the same distance than my Ace. So when we played th round, I kept with the Cobra the whole time. I ended up coming in second among the 6 of us.

I still want to find a good driver though. I can't help but think that there's a disc out there that will give me more distance with the same effort.

I used the Cyclone in my first game and I just never felt good about it. I felt it was leaving my hand too early most of the time. Of course back then, I didn't know about the X-Step, and I was so new. Maybe i should try out the Cyclone again.

I went with a fairly light Ace, maybe that's the problem. My Cobra is 180g. Throwing them back to back, my Ace just felt really light. And it's a little smaller, so I kinda ended up feeling like I was throwing a frisbee that I got out of a McDonalds Happy Meal.

I'd love to hear any advice anyone has. I know I need to get more games udner my belt.
HurricaneDavid
power: X Buzzz goes 260 ft. at 80% effort
large hands
hurricanedavid
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby garublador » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Are you able to estimate how far you're throwing? I'm willing to bet that you won't be able to find a disc that will fly as well as the Cobra for you until you start being able to throw it over 250'-275'. At that time, the Ace will probably start being longer. You're better off getting a putter right now and learning to throw it really well. The Wizard, Avair, Challenger and Magnet are all good choices.

Also, if you haven't yet, read this article:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... disc.shtml

It should answer a lot of your questions regarding beginner disc selection.

I'm jealous that you get to go out and play. We got 14" of snow last week and I'm a fair weather golfer. Keep practicing and asking questions!
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:09 pm

I said in your other posts that the cobra is a great driver for beginners (probably better than the ace)
I would say a lighter cobra (around 165-170) in the dx plastic would be alot better for you than the 180 champ. Once youre able to get the disc to s turn as you were saying you want to do, the cobra will yeild a bit more distance.
I wish I had found this site when I was starting, it probably would have gotten me going a bit quicker, and cheaper.

Oh, and if your cobra says midrange or multi purpose on it, dont be put off by that making it a good beginner driver because the cobra when it was a new disc, was a driver, not a midrange...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby hurricanedavid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:16 pm

Hey, I feel your pain. I used to live in Omaha, NE. I hear they have lots of snow right now.

Putting
I do have a Magnet (I started out with the Magnet and the Cyclone). I'm doing pretty well with it. My second shot (using the Cyclone or Cobra) is usually good enough to get me within 15 feet of basket on most holes. I know I need to work on putting from the 20-40 foot range, though. I was just talking with a friend about how important (and perhaps underrated) putting is.

The Ace...
I think I was able to get about 200 feet reliably from it. I think I noticed I had to aim it higher than the Cyclone and Cobra to get it to give me any distance.
HurricaneDavid
large hands
hurricanedavid
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:44 pm

garublador was most likely refering to learning to drive with your putter. Learning to drive a putter will teach you alot about your form.

I still often play a round or two with just a putter whenever my form seems to be deteriorating.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby hurricanedavid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Makes sense. Thanks. :)

I threw my putter one time, with 60-70% strength, at the basket and I was amazed at how solidly it flew. It makes a lot of sense that that would help me with my form.

I'll have to try that some time.
HurricaneDavid
large hands
hurricanedavid
Noob

Postby Weebl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:11 am

Definatly go out in a feild with a buddy and play catch with a putter, slowly moving apart to the max distance you're comfortable with. Most people dont think of using putters as drivers but some Pros can throw them reliably 350'+, while with good form you can get out to 200' no problem. JK Aviar-X and Medium wizards are best for driving, but any putter will do really. Another disc you may like is the DX Stingray (especially if you have smaller hands) in the 170-174 weight range. The Cobra is based off the Stingray, with a nubbin along the bottom of the rim making it more stable.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:08 am

I have found the Sabre and the RoadRunner to be the easiest drivers to throw...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Return to Equipment