Few Disc Questions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Few Disc Questions

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:40 pm

Today I managed to throw one of my favorite discs in a lake. Since it was nice I went in after it and managed to find it plus a few others. The other discs are the ones I have questions about. I found three 4x valks, a CE valk, and a teebird that is in champion plastic but just has an Innova stamp right in the middle saying "Innova Champion Edtion."

Now I have plenty of 5x valks and was wondering if these 4Xs would thrown any different. One of them is clear and the other two opaque. The other two discs I have never thrown or seen before and was wondering what I should expect from them.

normally I would just go out and throw them but a new job only lets me get out maybe once a week. So instead of trying to figure them out I was hoping I could get a heads up from you guys.

Thanks.

Also they are all in pretty good condtion. 7.5/10 or better.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:28 pm

thats how I got into disc fast, I found all sorts of stuff looking for what I lost.
The CE valk will have a slightly higher resistance to turn than the champ. The others Im not sure about.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:59 pm

The 4x Valks are some of the better ones I think, althought I don't have a whole lot of experience with Valks. That CE Teebird is a quality disc though, I've been trying to find one of those.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:37 pm

4x JK Valks are more overstable than the CE Valkyrie. Also, I sent you a PM~
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

found discs

Postby twmccoy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Boy, you found some good stuff your first time in the lake. I'm not sure how the 4X valks fly compared to the 5X. I have lots of each so I'll have to do some testing. I never cared much for the CE valks. They just didn't fly as far as the newer editions. Never seen a CE teebird. That one is rare for sure. They fetch big $$ on ebay.

My first time in the lake I kept finding lousy DX leopards, cheetahs, stingrays and eagles.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: found discs

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 am

twmccoy wrote:
My first time in the lake I kept finding lousy DX leopards, cheetahs, stingrays and eagles.

People loose alot of that stuff at expo, because its a common course for new players and such...

thats a good question, why are the two best beginner courses in the denver area so easy to loose discs? im thinking expo and lighthouse.

for those not in denver, expo has ponds that come into play on 6 holes, and a creek on just about the rest, while in the summer lighthouse has so much vegitation that its hard to find a drive that lands in the fairway.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Re: found discs

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:10 am

twmccoy wrote:My first time in the lake I kept finding lousy DX leopards, cheetahs, stingrays and eagles.

Well I found a lot of those too I just already know what those discs do.:P Also I have been dipping before this was just the first time I really found anything worth throwing, usually just junker discs from people who are scared they can't make it over the water. I didn't realize that the CE teebird was so rare, now it makes me wonder if I should bother playing with it or not.

Also the hole I found all these on is possibly the easiest hole to lose discs on. You throw over water the whole way to a pin that is about 285 on a little hill and to the left of the teepad. There is only maybe 10 ft of ground in front of the pin. All to the right and in front of the pin is water. The worst part is that wind is always blowing into your face so if you turn your disc over even a little too much it is not coming back from its watery grave.

Thanks for all the feedback BTW, it is good to know what to expect from these discs. Hopefully I can test them out this weekend. Wife permitting...
Frank Delicious

water hazards

Postby twmccoy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:56 am

Yeah, the course where I find most of my discs (expo park) has water on holes 2, 3, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 18. 13 and 14 are long drives right alongside a lake with the water to the right. Tons of people lose discs here. And lately I've been getting less junk discs and more decent ones. Also, more beginners are using better discs these days. I'm finding champion discs in places no decent player would ever lose them.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: water hazards

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:33 pm

twmccoy wrote:Yeah, the course where I find most of my discs (expo park) has water on holes 2, 3, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 18. 13 and 14 are long drives right alongside a lake with the water to the right. Tons of people lose discs here. And lately I've been getting less junk discs and more decent ones. Also, more beginners are using better discs these days. I'm finding champion discs in places no decent player would ever lose them.

and nobody should be throwing a beat lepoard on 13 either, unless theyre lefty...
the last flick I found was on 13, it was inline with the basket from the tee, but only about 15' into the water straight out from the tee... (again people who dont know, thats about 70 or 80' from the tee on a hole thats 350?' water between you and the pin, and everywhere right.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:52 pm

twmccoy wrote: I'm finding champion discs in places no decent player would ever lose them.

I too am finding much better discs than I use to, It is probably due to the fact that the Play Again Sports around here started carrying tons of X-outs and that is what I have normally been finding.
I have also noticed a trend of finding discs that don't really make any sense for the hole they are being thrown on. On this one hole that, when standing on the teepad you have all water right and trees all on the land in front of you. This hole also has a decent amount of headwind on it, it is actually the one right after the one I described earlier and both face the same direction. On this hole, which is only about 290, most people just throw a overstable mid or driver and hyzer it over the water and let it crash into the landing area around the basket. I was wading there the other day about 3/4 of the way to the hole and I fished out about 12 putters, all pretty beat looking and all about 30 ft from shore. I was like WTF, who would throw a putter here?

There is also another hole which is 375 downhill and mabe the last 200 ft of that is a large pond. I waded through there the other day and I was about 40 ft short and 30 ft left of the hole and I fished out about 15 different very overstable drivers. Firebirds, Monsters, Preds, Talons, Avengers, a wraith. It doesn't make any sense to throw those on this hole because if you hyzer out early, you are wet.

I think is due to new players getting ahold of discs they don't know how to use and just like the name of them or how they look.
Frank Delicious

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:41 pm

that would be a good hole for fishing, I throw half that stuff ;-)
here is also another hole which is 375 downhill and mabe the last 200 ft of that is a large pond. I waded through there the other day and I was about 40 ft short and 30 ft left of the hole and I fished out about 15 different very overstable drivers. Firebirds, Monsters, Preds, Talons, Avengers, a wraith. It doesn't make any sense to throw those on this hole because if you hyzer out early, you are wet.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

wrong disc for wrong hole

Postby twmccoy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:19 am

Well, I searched hole 2 at expo last weekend (240 ft over a fairly small pond). I found 2 champ beasts, a flick, a crush, a couple teebirds and some other discs that are total overkill for this hole. In the past I've also pulled monsters, orcs, flashes and a slew of champion beasts out of there. I also found one about 25' off the teepad. Someone literally chunked a brand new champ beast straight in off the tee. One girl was smart enough to use a dragon, so when she threw it in I got it for her with little trouble. I also found a hydra floating on the side of the lake.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby twmccoy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
twmccoy wrote:Yeah, the course where I find most of my discs (expo park) has water on holes 2, 3, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 18. 13 and 14 are long drives right alongside a lake with the water to the right. Tons of people lose discs here. And lately I've been getting less junk discs and more decent ones. Also, more beginners are using better discs these days. I'm finding champion discs in places no decent player would ever lose them.

and nobody should be throwing a beat lepoard on 13 either, unless theyre lefty...
the last flick I found was on 13, it was inline with the basket from the tee, but only about 15' into the water straight out from the tee... (again people who dont know, thats about 70 or 80' from the tee on a hole thats 350?' water between you and the pin, and everywhere right.

Dude, you wouldn't believe some of the discs people throw on 13 and 14. I've found lots of midranges and even putters in the lake on those holes. Nobody I know could easily get a putter to the hole on those ones. I've also found tons of understable stuff like sidewinders, leopards or cheetahs off 13. That is not a hole you want to use something flippy on. On the other hand you have people throwing wraiths, orcs and flashes on 11. That hole gobbles up lots of discs.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment