Dimples

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dimples

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:25 pm

Does anyone know if creating turbulent flow over the dome (or on the bottom of the wing) as opposed to laminar flow would be desirable for disc flight?

Dimples are used on golf balls to "channel" the air pockets around the ball that is rapidly spinning in flight (much the same as disc is spinning).

Turbulators are used on wings to "keep the air attached" for more lift and glide.

It is obvious that plastic effects the stability of the disc. does anyone know why? Does the surface porosity (micro dimples) have anything to do with this, or is it simply the mechanical properties of the plastic itself?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby presidio hills » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:48 pm

i believe DX and other low grade plastics "grip" the air better. high end slippery plastics like Z and champion tend to slip through the air making them squirrellier. Low grade plastics have more gradual flight characteristics as a result... turnover slower, fade later. i can't tell you this is all fact, i'm no scientist.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:57 pm

the sharpshooters kinda flew crappy... and those were turbulant designs. theory is sound on making a slower flying control disc, but the actual application hasn't really panned so far as rim design and shape still dominates flight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby roadkill » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:16 pm

There used to be a disc that had golf ball like dimples covering the top of the disc. I believe it was even called the Dimple. The models I saw were yellow with a black hot stamp. There was a cartoon face in the center that sort of resembled Bart Simpson. I think it was released around 1990 or 91. I'm thinking possibly by Destiny Discs. It was never real popular.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:33 pm

Dimples work great for a golf ball, but a golf ball is a projectile...

discs that fly like projectiles dont get very far...
(just dont tell Schweberger or he my relize thumbers arent supposed to go that far)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:37 am

presidio hills wrote:i believe DX and other low grade plastics "grip" the air better. high end slippery plastics like Z and champion tend to slip through the air making them squirrellier. Low grade plastics have more gradual flight characteristics as a result... turnover slower, fade later. i can't tell you this is all fact, i'm no scientist.

I wonder if this is true. I really do.

There has to be something to it.

Maybe we should be beadblasting discs and not tie-dying them.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:33 am

it is true that baseline plastic has those characteristics. and as they break in those characteristics get more pronounced.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:12 pm

If a scuff on the surface of a baseball effects its flight enough to make it illegal (basically a flying rock going 70-100 mph) to scuff the surface intentionally....The rough surface of basic plastic has to impact the flight of a disc in a similar way.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:28 am

discmonkey42 wrote:If a scuff on the surface of a baseball effects its flight enough to make it illegal (basically a flying rock going 70-100 mph) to scuff the surface intentionally....The rough surface of basic plastic has to impact the flight of a disc in a similar way.

Defects on the surface of a ball makes it curve more.

When I pitched baseball, high seams always made for the best breaking pitches. New balls always had the highest seams. I do not remember any speed loss, just more break, especially drop.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:14 am

Best as I can figure, the lower end plastic creates air friction, similar to what dimples do to a gold ball.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:12 am

What about that JU-JU/Velocity by ching? those "thumb" grips could act as dimples? Do they have any effect on how that disc flies?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Test

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:39 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:Best as I can figure, the lower end plastic creates air friction, similar to what dimples do to a gold ball.

OK. I tested this.

I took a brand new Star Beast and threw it a bunch.

Then I sanded the entire thing with 180 grit open coat sandpaper. Top, bottom, lip, everything... The surface is very similar to DX now.

Did not do crap. Throws exactly the same.

Grip is better though.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:00 pm

Regardless of sanding, the plastic is still slicker and (to the air) is slicker than DX plastic. At least thats my idea on it from throwing DX/Champ/Star in comparison. Also Blake, the #1 and #2 sharpshooters do indeed suck, but the Sharpshooter #3 is incredible in the wind. The thing flies like there is no wind, even if you're throwing into a 25mph headwind. It may not go far, but it goes where you want it every time (It's also a great roller!)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:26 pm

tackiness affects air friction as well as surface imperfections in terms of scuffed champ/star/etc. vs. dx.

i'm up in the air as to whether or not rim balance has a dominating factor in some of these. star beasts have 30-40% more mass in the rim than dx's.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:35 am

I just ordered 2 Scream's for David Mac of Gateway. One is smooth, the other has golf ball style dimples in it. I will report back on results when I receive them.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Next

Return to Equipment