Dimples

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:14 am

Blake_T wrote:tackiness affects air friction as well as surface imperfections in terms of scuffed champ/star/etc. vs. dx.

i'm up in the air as to whether or not rim balance has a dominating factor in some of these. star beasts have 30-40% more mass in the rim than dx's.

This makes the most sense....

Moving weight to the outside of the rim results in an increased moment of inertia. A disc with a higher moment of inertia will have proportionally higher gyroscopic precession. Leading to higher "overstability".
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Dimples/gyroscopic

Postby pearso66 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:03 pm

Just to let you guys know, Quest, in cooperation with Gateway, has a line of discs that are more gyroscopic than normal discs, allowing for longer spinning, and longer throws. It really helps beginners be able to throw further, while also being able to be thrown far by professionals.

Quest/Gateway is also coming out with a line of discs with their own Dimple Technology. The discs are already approved, and there will be 4 discs in this series. One is a Scream which has no dimples, a Scream DT (Dimple Technology) which has dimples on the bottom of the wing, the Scream DT Max, which has dimple on the top of the disc, and the Scream DT Ultra, which has dimples on the bottom of the wing, and also on the top of the disc. The DT's should be able to be thrown about 10-30% further than normal drivers.
pearso66
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:33 pm

yeah, Ive been hearing about those.
Funny how the oddesy and other new gateway stuff is supposed to be more gyroscopic, while the sabre was less gyroscopic (more weight of the flight plate) which makes it fade later and less. I do understand that more gyroscopics make a disc that holds its spin better (why discs like wraiths dont come back when turned) and why wizards with their super thin flight plate are the longest putters.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:46 pm

Yes they spin longer, but it's harder to get them to START spinning as well =P
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pearso66 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:00 am

Weebl wrote:Yes they spin longer, but it's harder to get them to START spinning as well =P

Actually, the Odyssey series was originally designed to help beginners, and those that don't throw as hard, to be able to throw comparable to guys who can bomb a disc. But with the help of Gateway, these discs have turned out to be able to do that, while also be able to help improve a professionals game. These discs are no harder to get spinning than any other disc on the market.
pearso66
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:15 pm

My Screams arrived today...

35 feet past my RoadRunners
44 feet past my Eagles

Strange ridge at the flight plate, but threw great.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Pagan » Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 am

discmonkey42 wrote:I just ordered 2 Scream's for David Mac of Gateway. One is smooth, the other has golf ball style dimples in it. I will report back on results when I receive them.

I too was wondering how to "rough up" my discs for better flight... Had the idea of using steel wool in circular motions to improve grip and (perhaps) increase air friction.

I got a Dimpled Scream coming and an Illusion too. Never tried Gateway products and the scream sounds interesting. I am intrigued by the illusion as a long range understable driver.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 24, 2006 7:30 am

Illusion untill you beat the crap out of it in s or bend the rim a bit in H will probably be rather overstable for you. Its just so fast its hard to get it to the cruise speed.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Arm Of Despair » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 am

Quest/Gateway is also coming out with a line of discs with their own Dimple Technology. The discs are already approved, and there will be 4 discs in this series. One is a Scream which has no dimples, a Scream DT (Dimple Technology) which has dimples on the bottom of the wing, the Scream DT Max, which has dimple on the top of the disc, and the Scream DT Ultra, which has dimples on the bottom of the wing, and also on the top of the disc. The DT's should be able to be thrown about 10-30% further than normal drivers.

A friend found an unmarked Scream DT (dimples on the bottom) , didn't care for it, and loaned it to me try out. I went about 3 holes with it then promptly lost it. But in that short time it was really flying and I was thinking it might be one that I'd buy. Just wondering what other DT owners experiences are with that disc (top, bottom, or both)?
Arm Of Despair
Noob

Postby Sokpuppet » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:01 am

Personally, I wish the PDGA rules governing disc design were slightly more flexible. In the past, people have done some wonky things using the boundary layer effect to reduce drag on airplane wings, such as pumping air from the top side of the wing to the underside. Apparently this can lower drag substantially. I've thought up a few ways this could be done on discs, but none that would be PDGA legal. :lol:
Sokpuppet
Noob

Postby Craig » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:07 am

I see that the Scream DTs are shown on the Gateway site, but they don't seem to be available for purchase in the online store. How would a person get hold of one?

Also, any more reviews from people who have tried them?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby bigs348 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:24 am

Marshall Street had them this weekend. They had a good number, so I'm sure they have some left.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby superq » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:56 am

I have thrown the DT scream and the max, I thought they were both to understable for me, but for a beginer or someone with less arm speed they seem to be great. I am not sure what the dimples do, Dave has explained it to me several times and I just cant get it, something about friction and displacement. I know that I have a few screams, and they are all good, my favorite one is one of the first run protos where the mold was not polished at all, the disc is E plastic but it feels like S, very gritty and rough but still holds the durability like E, and I think that since it is not polished it flies further than my smooth E screams. There is definatly something to it, I always thought that the Pro plastic flew a lot further than the champ or Z even when all things were equal.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:22 am

dimples effect air resistance, the DT makes gateways discs fly less stable similar to the reasons dx is less stable than champ, air resistance ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to Equipment