The new TeeRex...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The new TeeRex...

Postby Da5id » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:33 pm

Hullo all. Was just curious about anyone's first impressions of the new TeeRex. One blurb I found called it a "faster more stable wraith" and that definitely got my attention. I love my pro wraith (never tried champion) but after a couple weeks of hard use it's starting to turn over more than I'd like. This TeeRex sounds like it could be damn near ideal.
Be empty. Throw with love in your heart. Be unattached to outcome.
Da5id
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:16 am

i have one sitting on my desk to throw along with a goblin.

heard the teerex called a wraith/monster hybrid type disc from people that threw the protos.

without throwing it yet, i see this disc with two potentials:
1) to be a great hyzer disc and straight flyer into a moderate headwind.
2) to further destroy the technique of most 300-400' throwers by people attempting to throw it straight.

the discs i'm liking the most recently are the starfire-x and the orion lf. first discs in a while that have rim design stabilizers and they aren't that overstable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:16 am

I ordered a quad shock strap from the guy that runs Chainreactiondiscgolf.com the other day, and mentioned something about my Wraith... He said hes about to pull his Wraith out of his bag because he threw a Teerex and said its like a more stable Wraith.

From what he said, It'll nail low with a nice stable flight, and gets some nice long ass skips in the end. He basically described it as a good long range disc where you need to keep it down but still want max D from it.

Innova describes it as a great disc for Sidearm throwers, which is most of my main drives... So I might check it out just to do it. But I might just end up sticking to my Orcs. After a 2 day tourney, Im learning more and more that my selection of 168 and 173 champion orcs are proving to give me way more control in my driving than my Pro Wraith ever will. I can probably outdrive the Orcs with my Wraith, but I cant place em with nearly the accuracy. Im worried that the Teerex might end up being too overstable for me and end up just being a hyzer disc. I recently got a Star SL last week, and thats my new favorite hyzer driver. Turns the whole flight. So I'll try a Teerex just to see if it might find a place in my bag, but I honestly think it might end up sitting in my pile of discs that I dont really need.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby presidio hills » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:45 am

Blake_T wrote:2) to further destroy the technique of most 300-400' throwers by people attempting to throw it straight.

right on, blake! hittin' the nail on the head. if only they would listen.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:42 am

I've been using a TeeRex for a couple weeks and I am really digging it. It's definitely not for newbies or for people without a lot of power, but for anyone that's had trouble with a Wraith turning on them this thing is great.

I've had no problems in headwinds, the disc has very little turn (0 isn't quite accurate, it turns a slight bit) and I really feel that it is what the Wraith should've been: an extremely fast, long distance driver, that I feel throws very similar to a Champ Teebird, just super long. I think the 4 fade is pretty high, too. Not nearly as much fade as a Firebird and no where close to a Monster. After about a dozen rounds it's replaced my Star Wraith, and when the DX ones get released I have no doubt that they'll replace my DX Wraiths as well.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Da5id » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:03 am

Excellent.... this definitely sounds like something I'll be picking up. Admittedly I am a newbie but think I have enough power to take advantage of the TeeRex -- been playing about 6 months but can hit 400+ sidearm or backhand (in open fields anyway).

I'm curious what you meant Blake by saying this is another disc that will further destroy people's technique? Is this kind of a curmudgeonly "old school" preference to older plastic or will learning to throw slower, more subtle discs help my game?
Da5id
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:18 am

Da5id wrote: Is this kind of a curmudgeonly "old school" preference to older plastic or will learning to throw slower, more subtle discs help my game?

Bwah-hahahahaha. Man, that's great: calling Blake "curmudgeonly." I've had that feeling before too about Blake's advice when I just got a new disc, but he is completely right. Not necessarily just old school discs, but old school design is what he's all about and throwing those will really help your game. I disced down from my high-speed stuff to slower, more controllable old standards a few months ago. Now I've increased my overall distance so the slower discs are my go to drivers in the 350' range, but I use the high speed stuff for 400' and up. If you can increase your distance with a Teebird or a Cyclone, than the Wraith/TeeRex distance will increase also and you'll have added control. Almost all discs can have their place in your game, you just have to know what fits best in what spot and learn to walk before you can run.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Da5id » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:58 am

"Curmudgeonly" was probably a bit strong. :) I have enormous respect for Blake after browsing these forums the last couple weeks as he's obviously very knowledgable as well as patient and helpful. I was just trying to understand his mindset.

What you say about "learning to walk before you can run" makes a lot of sense actually. But what about after you've learned to run and want to learn how to run a little faster? Or longer? My Orcs are my baseline drivers that I compare everything else to and they put me in the fairway a high percentage of the time. Wouldn't stepping down to a Teebird or something just mean I'd still be in the fairway but 10 yards shorter?

I guess after trying the Wraith recently and being a little disappointed in it's accuracy I was hoping someone would say this TeeRex is just as predictable as my Orcs but a bit faster and longer.
Da5id
Noob

Postby roadkill » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:58 am

I believe I know what Blake is saying about destroying the game of 300-400' throwers with the TeeRex. The same could be said about a lot of the other super fast overstable discs crowding the disc marketplace today.

If you don't have 420-475' power than you lack the power to throw the TeeRexnaturally straight. So a 350' thrower will have to compensate and fight the disc's overstable tendencies. So this introduces problems like wrist roll and off axis torque and hurts the golfer's chances of being fluid. If you're a 350' thrower and like the TeeRex than it would probably be better to reserve it's use to hyzers, hyzer skips and throws into fierce headwinds.

I hear so many golfers (who throw 330-380) say that their snap is so great that they need the stability of a firebird,monster, trex, speed demon,etc. I say BS. If you're turning over Champ teebirds, Avengers, Champ wraiths and are only throwing 350-375 than the problem is your technique, not the disc and definitely not your "abundant power".
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Yeah, I guess we all want to run faster. I'm just saying from experience that stepping down helped me a lot.

I was throwing Beasts as my main driver. I would use them for anything from 250-350, and I was pretty damn accurate with it, even for a fast disc. If I tried out a new disc, I could get a little more distance maybe, but not as controllable, and my distance was still peaking around 350 or so. Discing down helped me learn how to throw slower drivers the same distance with even more control so I was reaching 350 with my Teebird-Ls. Then, when I stepped back up to my Beasts and to a Wraith and a TeeRex, I had that much more distance and control with the high speed ones because I'd worked my way up with slower drivers.

I just figure that instead of trying to increase your max distance using a Wraith or something, say from 350 to 450, increase your overall distance with a Teebird or whatever from 250 to 350 (which I think is much easier to do), and then the distance will come naturally with a faster driver

That's just my $.02, what I've picked up from Blake and from my own experiences struggling with technique and distance.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Da5id » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:28 pm

Thx for the advice bigs... Sounds like putting a Teebird back in my bag might not be a bad idea. Throwing for that raw distance sure is hella fun but I'll take control over distance any day.

As far as the TeeRex, I'll probably still pick one up. Always good to have options and it'll give me something to grow into.
Da5id
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:54 pm

Yeah, I don't want to discourage you from using the latest and greatest high speed driver. Hell, I have a TeeRex and 2 Wraiths in my bag and they have their place on super huge holes where I need big distance and accuracy isn't as much of a premium. I'm just saying that it helps to learn to throw a Teebird well, because everything else will get better from that.

I played two tournaments last weekend, both on pretty short courses with a handful of long holes thrown in. For the weekend, 72 holes total, off of the tee I used my Wraith 4 times, my TeeRex once, a Firebird twice, my TL a dozen or so times, my Panther about a dozen times, and my KC 10x Aviar the rest of them. I use my putter now for pretty much anything under 300' -- I'm more accurate with it, I don't have to worry about skips or overshooting the hole, and I feel the most comfortable throwing it whenever I can. I carry the other stuff and I use it when I need it, but I'm deadly with a putter for two-thirds of the course.

Once again, my $.02. The only advice I can give is what's worked for me, so the best I can tell you is to use what works for you.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Well, many young/new players never develop proper technique or destroy what they have by going to a driver that is either/or too fast and/or overstable for them.

Blake, I'm curious of your impressions of the goblin and rex; please let us know when you throw them.

Also, tell me about the orion. Do you think there's room for it in my bag? (with avengers, trackers, and cyclones).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:23 pm

Da5id wrote:Thx for the advice bigs... Sounds like putting a Teebird back in my bag might not be a bad idea. Throwing for that raw distance sure is hella fun but I'll take control over distance any day.

As far as the TeeRex, I'll probably still pick one up. Always good to have options and it'll give me something to grow into.

You took the teebird out? Unless you have a cyclone in there, never take the teebird out!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kling » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:You took the teebird out? Unless you have a cyclone in there, never take the teebird out!

:D
kling
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment