The new TeeRex...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 pm

My DX 169 Orc is 10x more predictible than my 171 Pro Starfire....but i think this has to do with the person not the disc (this meaning throwing style etc..)....just my $.02
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:01 pm

due to rim design, eagles (not-EL's) will always fly more predictably than orcs or starfire-L's.

in terms of the overall straightness a lot of this is plastic dependent, but you can gauge the characteristics objectively.

most high speed stable:
champ eagle
star SL
pro starfire-L
dx eagle
dx orc
champ orc
pro orc

most low speed overstable:
champ eagle
champ orc
dx eagle
star sl
pro orc
pro sl
dx orc

it's a lot harder to compare current discs as very few general rules apply in terms of stability. in days of yore discs that were fairly low speed overstable were usually were also fairly high speed stable, but that is no longer the case.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Da5id » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:09 pm

I was thinking over a lot of the advice in this thread (which can partially be summed up as "throw the slowest thing you can to get there") and think it's only partially true. Or, to be more accurate, I think it's a lot more true for backhand shots than sidearm.

95% of my approach shots from 200' and in are gonna be sidearm... I find it's just so much more accurate and predictable for me. Keeping a shot on the right line is never a problem. The problem arises when I try to finesse a disc that's too understable or flippy and it turns in the wrong direction giving me a longish or impossible putt. From 200' out though I KNOW exactly the way my Orc is gonna fly and can usually throw something low and have it skip up within gimme range.

So yea, I agree with ya in theory (been using my Teebird off the tee more lately with great success) but just think theres an exception to the rule..
Be empty. Throw with love in your heart. Be unattached to outcome.
Da5id
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:57 pm

there are shots/lines that are ideal for throwing fast discs on short shots. however, there is always the balance of the shots you are good at vs. the highest percentage shots.

breaking down a 150' wide open approach.
1) a hyzer is always more predictable than a flat shot or anhyzer because it is the only shot playing to the disc's natural tendencies. flat shots must be thrown with a pre-decision of turning the disc or not turning it and require a level of execution consistent with that choice. anhyzers require flex compensation and have a tendency to either plane and over-carry or stall and under-carry. whether it is sidearm or backhand, the hyzer is always safer.

2) a slower disc on a hyzer will carry offline less if the line is missed left/right and skip less when it lands. a slower disc will also carry less far on an over-throw (with the flipside being you are farther out on an under throw). considering that left/right accuracy is more important than near/far accuracy in about 75% of situations, the slower disc generally wins out.

3) a hyzer with a slow disc is the highest percentage shot when that line is permitted.

if you are better with say, a low skip shot with an overstable driver than a hyzer with a putter, that may make a person's execution rate better for the driver shot, but the highest percentage shot (in ideal terms) will always be the putter hyzer given normal conditions (add a 40 mph headwind and the percentage shot becomes something completely different).

sidearm is tough to master on finesse lines but becomes easier if you commit to a hyzer/anhyzer from the start. the best old school sidearm throwers i know can throw aviar putters 300' sidearm on a straight line. that doesn't mean everyone can throw that shot, but imo, it is a shot people should aspire to have.
Blake_T

Postby Woodchuck » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:11 am

Has anyone been throwing the Teerex much sidearm? I currently use an X-Predator for my sidearm shots was jsut wondering i anyone thinks the Teerex is any better for sidearms?
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm

i havent thrown the teerex, but I will say that a teerex will not cover flaws in technique as well as a predator. If you get any turn in your pred on a forehand, the teerex wont fly well.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:25 pm

Woodchuck wrote:Has anyone been throwing the Teerex much sidearm? I currently use an X-Predator for my sidearm shots was jsut wondering i anyone thinks the Teerex is any better for sidearms?

I'll let you know in a few days. I throw sidearm drives 80% of the time and max around 370....
My teerex will come in the mail prolly tomorrow. So i'll get to use it this week
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby DiscCrusher » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:08 pm

My friend just aced a 317' hole up at the top of a huge hill at least 30' high with a T-Rex thrown sidearm.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:18 am

well, i said i'd post my thoughts on the new discs, here is my read:

the goblin is fairly stable, not roc stable, but more stable than a shark or coyote if thrown correctly. fairly straight with good glide and very little fade. reminiscent of a longer aero. straight flyer out of the box, but i have questions about its durability.

the teerex flies similar to a wraith but with ~1.5 steps kicked up in the stability. my initial thoughts put it halfway between a wraith and monster, but now i would say it's probably closer to the monster in terms of flight path. it bites low speed overstable pretty early, so it is a legit overstable driver (vs. pro stable). i didn't feel like i had very good control with it... seemed kind of touchy on power, would often fly straight for 90% of its flight but also often for more like 70%.
Blake_T

Postby Pagan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:53 pm

Weebl wrote:My 166 pro starfire is 10x more predictable than my 171 Champ. Orc. Maybe I'm crazy.

First off; today we had an ace race. I saw lots of guys (mostly newer players like myself) throwing orcs all over the place. I do mean ALL OVER the place. When I pulled out my old Cyclone and ripped it straight straight blowing past the scattered Orcs I got a few "wow!" expressions. This was into a 13 MPH headwind on a 278' hole. Granted I didnt get an ace but I was the third closest. Bested by the older players (older in dg exp not age as I was the second oldest in group). In fact I was two feet behind and one foot to the left of the second closet throw. I have no doubts that in the hands of an experienced d-golfer with great technique an orc can be bee-line, laser-beam, godamn-that-was-straight. I dont have that ability... YET!

I have been playing nearly 8 months now so I am clearly no pro. When I first started the store owner (and state champ BTW) reccomended a Leapard. I bought it and used it till I got D-greed. I went and bought a starfire, and later an orc. That was a mistake that I paid dearly for. I shredded form in an effort to learn to throw these discs straight. Soon I was filling my bag with seriously overstable plastic just to keep straight. I knew when I had to throw an Elite Z Xtreme for a left hook that I was doing something wrong. For those of you that dont already know an Elite-Z Xtreme is rated 3+ stability which is Discraft speak for waaaayy left and dive into the ground hard! After posting here and reading some posts I thought I'll lose distance but maybee I can throw right. Turns out Blake, Texas, and others were right I hit the used shelf at said store and bought some older plastic. First a X2 till I got it turning left, then a cyclone. I have to tell ya, a Cyclone is a versatile disc. You can hyzer it, do a neat little start anhyzer to go around mandatory tree marker, and then turn back and fade to the left for a nice little park on the hill.

Dont get me wrong, I still got an ESP Surge but it's a rare thing to throw it still. I love the flight but I'm still not landing it in my desired 60' circle. On long holes I whip it out and let her flay then, I reach for the putter to close in. By all means GET the disc ya want, but learn to throw RIGHT then that orc,t-rex, (insert new disc name because by the time I shut up and hit submit there will be a new one) surge disc will fly like a thing of beauty and the others stubornly holding onto their spanking disc will drop their jaws with the Oh so sweet "WTF was that?!" as you smile smugly. Trust me it's a great feeling. I got to do that a few times today and it feels freakin awesome!

Thanks Blake, tex, and everyone!

Now to master that 30' putt in a 20mph headwind while blindfolded...
Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

orc

Postby twmccoy » Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 am

Yeah, if you guys are throwing orcs on 278' holes, you probably don't have enough power for them. Orcs work great for hard throws of 400' or more, but for short throws will be wild. I think that of all todays high speed drivers, the orc is the most consistent. I can pick up any champ orc and know what it will do when I throw it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: orc

Postby Pagan » Mon May 01, 2006 10:01 am

twmccoy wrote:Yeah, if you guys are throwing orcs on 278' holes, you probably don't have enough power for them. Orcs work great for hard throws of 400' or more, but for short throws will be wild. I think that of all todays high speed drivers, the orc is the most consistent. I can pick up any champ orc and know what it will do when I throw it.

Yeap! I dont even own an orc. It went wild on a lower power throw into the river. I said screwit and left it for the local kids to find. I dont have 400' of power. On a good day I can hit 340-360' but my average is about 300-320' with a decent line. I was amazed at how much stepping down to a slower disc helps form. My wife and step-son were giving my crap about throwing my wasp and putter on most of the holes till they noticed that I was able to get better range and more control. Now my wife is discing down. After a shanked drive off to the right, she reached for one of my wasps and threw it right down the center. She was totally surprised. I said "It's yours!" Now to get her to throw that putter off the tee on the short tight tunnel shots...
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Mon May 01, 2006 6:38 pm

I am going to have to disagree with TWMccoy... I have about 320' discgolf d and I can throw an Orc consitantly.....that being said I can also throw Valks and a Gazelle accuratley.....I can get to about 380' with my Orc if I want to sacrifice accuracy....just my two pennies....
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Jestyr » Mon May 01, 2006 8:33 pm

I have asked a number of different questions on this board and I would love some more advice.

I have only been playing for around a month, but have gone 3 days a week since then. I have an average drive of about 225-250', with occassional brushes with the 325' range, and a few in the 200' range. I have been working on my X-step and have started to see some consistency. While some of my drives sail far right on me or far left, most are relatively straight.

In my obsessiveness, I have been researching every disc out there and figure I can ask what I should limit myself to keeping in my bag, and what I should pull out. What should I buy, etc.

I have:

Eagle DX, 160 gr
I was using this as my primary driver. It is okay.

Valk DX, 161 gr
I didn't like it as I had trouble keeping it straight

#1 Driver, 172 gr
I don't like it as the lip is really small so I don't feel as comfy with it.

Pro Teebird L, 174 gr
I started to really like this. I like the grippiness of the plastic, and I was the most consistent with it. I got it somewhat warped and I have since warped it even further. It is not fading as much at the end.

Pro Teebird L, 167 gr
I got it really warped and it was not fading as consistently at the end. Also went right on me a bit more, it seemed (my imagination?)

Teebird DX
I got this really beat up, REALLY beat up. It has a tendency to go right on me, but other than that i like it.

So anyway, I was thinking of replacing the teebird l's with newer versions and putting the others away for now. This would mean my only discs that I use would be new driver *insert name here*, a roc and an aviar p&a. If so, is the teebird L a good choice? I was looking at the star plastic for longevity and grip, but you just said that the higher plastics were worse because they hid mistakes.

If you were to put together a bag for me, what would it be? You can ignore any of the discs I currently have, if you think I should. I want to be golfer #2 in your story -- not the person who cannot control the discs he owns.
Jestyr
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 pm

a TL is a good disc overall as long as you mix & match plastics and weights. you will likely want 1 max weight star for max stability, your beat ones for turnovers/rollers, lighter ones for d, etc.

i will say that i do not believe the current version of the TL is overstable enough to be able to go without a headwind driver, but it is versatile enough to fill most other roles.

eventually you may want to add a pure D driver to compliment the TL, but the TL is definitely solid for players of most power levels.
Blake_T

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment