Latitude 64°

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby aerodriver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Labeled in the post since you asked, but the top is the Eze Pure and the bottom is the Zero Pure.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm
Location: Bellingham, MA
Favorite Disc: Westside Warship

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:49 pm

oh wow. hrmmm
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby Monocacy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 am

I'm throwing Zero Pures this winter because Anodes are too slippery in the slush. This is for straight approaches and putting. Love the Pure's grip, love the flight, but hate the fact that it is almost impossible to find Pures around 165 grams, my preferred weight for putters. Questions:

Anyone know of an online store with a stash of 165 Pures (any plastic)? I have tried DGC, MSt, and Clearwater - no luck.

What other lowish-profile putter in reasonably durable, reasonably grippy plastic would be the closest substitute for a Pure? According to JFC, Aviar Putter, Magnet, Summit, and Omega have similar characteristics. The only one I have thrown is Aviar, and it always seemed kinda deep but it has been a while.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Latitude 64°

Postby seehad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 am

I was just thinking about driving with a pure as I've experienced the same frustration with the anode. I find my SS voodoo quite capable for putting in icy conditions.
seehad
Noob
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby JR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 am

I have not tried the latest discs but before the releases of the past few months nothing is quite the same unfortunately. Not exactly thin but easy to grip with some added grip benefits due to shape is my current putter soft Banger GT. It drives well approaches even better, fades little and has good glide so it flies in between the Pure and the Anode when putting and almost the same as the Pure and the Anode. This from a disc that was released earlier than both so it is a hidden gem. Certainly under appreciated. While the sexy Swede is well liked for people in the know it too could be even better appreciated because flight wise these three putters plus the Mercy are amazing. Top notch discs each of them. By the way the Banger bangs up easily around rocks but even driving with it all the time has only produced cosmetic damage. Flight remains the same despite a lot of play on a rocky course which for a soft version of medium grade plastic is excellent behavior on a course that kills some primo discs quickly. And acts as a secret weapon of naturally breaking in discs :-)

Pure has a tendency of pushing through hyzer and anny just like those other discs when given a lot of power. At power a new zero Pure starts out more HSS than Grip Pure but unfortunately breaks in fast to flippy and the Grip starts out with a slight flip for me anyway at full power. So the somewhat slick in winter most HSS version Opto without flipping at full tilt for me is a nice addition. Depending on what you need a Zero Pure for approaches and putts alone could do. It will have problems in approaches in the winds but so will the Banger. There just may not be anything available that trumps these thin for grip discs. They are all so close to each other. And nice.

What i would do is to keep on using that Zero Pure to see if you get any insurmountable problems with it in the long run and if you do then try the soft Banger GT. You already own the Pure so testing is cheap Monocacy :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11249
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby Monocacy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm

I like the Anode, but I do find its stability quirky. Sometimes it will hold a turn or hyzer, sometimes it will fade out early or push through. Pure seems more intuitive to me, but I do worry about it getting banged up and changing its flight in the middle of a round.

I throw the Rhyno for hard fades, so I am looking for a neutral putter that will handle straight, mild turnovers/anhyzers, and gentle hyzers as well as putting duties (and I don’t want to carry more than 2 putters).

I thought Banger GT was closer to a Wizard or Warlock. Are the Soft Banger GTs less stable, or do they just break in faster? Also - is the Banger GT low profile?

Checking JFC, Dart is another possibility – Dart is fairly low profile, right? I hear that Darts are similar to Warlocks, which I used to throw and liked, but the Warlock rim didn’t work with my FH.

JR wrote:What i would do is to keep on using that Zero Pure to see if you get any insurmountable problems with it in the long run and if you do then try the soft Banger GT. You already own the Pure so testing is cheap Monocacy :-)

True dat, but I like easily-replaced putters because I lose them regularly practicing in the back yard, and they often do not turn up until winter. But yeah, I have three Zero Pures and I do like how they fly, so that'll do for now.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Monocacy wrote:Checking JFC, Dart is another possibility – Dart is fairly low profile, right? I hear that Darts are similar to Warlocks, which I used to throw and liked, but the Warlock rim didn’t work with my FH.


Yes, and I can get them at one of our Wal-marts in floppy KC Pro for around $10. Learning to love that disc.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby JR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:47 am

Darts are a rare breed in that their wing is easier to grip and release cleanly than that of most other putters except XD and Spike which are equally easy because of the low height under the flight plate. Dart is worse grip wise for most because of the huge domey flight plate that is super soft and the thumb sinks into it worse than into a Kite -another dome monster. Dart is fairly slick too in Star and even floppier in R-Pro and any firmness under the thumb comes with the thumb lying partially on top of the wing=so close to the outer edge for easy early slips.

I have only thrown the Soft X Banger GT and don't know how the other Bangers fly. While the banger is not exactly thin which means it is not the absolutely easiest disc to get a clean release out of it is by no means a tall _feeling_ and hard to release cleanly disc at all. It is physically semi tall a little taller than the Pure i think but the groove for the thumb gets the index finger and the thumb closer to each other for _easier_ grip with less muscle tension for similar grip strength. The great thing about the soft X Banger GT is that the material is decently grippy losing out only a little to Zero Pure in tackiness but being grippier overall thanks to the groove under the thumb. With more glide the Banger requires less power to fly as far as the Pure both in putting and driving. Putting wise that leads to automatic hit rate increase and more consistency.

Bangers glide more than Wizards and Warlocks and IIRC the HSS is more of Wizard and the fade is less than Warlock close to a Magic so overall no Gateway competes in straightness or ease of use. Think Magic glide and fade or a hair less with almost the HSS of a cleanly released Anode or Ion. Straight.

Sounds like you could develop the way you track the flight of the disc to find them more easily. Snow can hide the landing spot totally if it is dry fluffy stuff blown by the wind so you do need to check the sideways and distance of the landing spot against a reference like a tree and the angle of landing and speed to evaluate where the disc could have moved since the initial landing. Glasses and an eye check to see if your vision has changed? It happens over age.

Monocacy wrote:I like the Anode, but I do find its stability quirky. Sometimes it will hold a turn or hyzer, sometimes it will fade out early or push through. Pure seems more intuitive to me, but I do worry about it getting banged up and changing its flight in the middle of a round.

I throw the Rhyno for hard fades, so I am looking for a neutral putter that will handle straight, mild turnovers/anhyzers, and gentle hyzers as well as putting duties (and I don’t want to carry more than 2 putters).

I thought Banger GT was closer to a Wizard or Warlock. Are the Soft Banger GTs less stable, or do they just break in faster? Also - is the Banger GT low profile?

Checking JFC, Dart is another possibility – Dart is fairly low profile, right? I hear that Darts are similar to Warlocks, which I used to throw and liked, but the Warlock rim didn’t work with my FH.

JR wrote:What i would do is to keep on using that Zero Pure to see if you get any insurmountable problems with it in the long run and if you do then try the soft Banger GT. You already own the Pure so testing is cheap Monocacy :-)

True dat, but I like easily-replaced putters because I lose them regularly practicing in the back yard, and they often do not turn up until winter. But yeah, I have three Zero Pures and I do like how they fly, so that'll do for now.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11249
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby kern9787 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 am

Admittedly, I haven't been following disc golf developments recently. But has Lat64/Westside/DD released or plan on releasing anything similar to a firebird/predator type disc (preferably closer to a predator than a firebird). I'm aware of the XXX, which is probably the closest, but is wider rimmed if I recall correctly. The trident is the next closest I'm aware of, but I honestly don't recall too much about it.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby Varsi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 am

kern9787 wrote:Admittedly, I haven't been following disc golf developments recently. But has Lat64/Westside/DD released or plan on releasing anything similar to a firebird/predator type disc (preferably closer to a predator than a firebird). I'm aware of the XXX, which is probably the closest, but is wider rimmed if I recall correctly. The trident is the next closest I'm aware of, but I honestly don't recall too much about it.


Interestingly enough PDGA lists Trident with 1,9cm rim thickness and XXX with 2,0cm (Predator and Firebird are 1,9cm). I thought both of those were slower discs.
Varsi
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Savonlinna, Finland
Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby kern9787 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 am

Varsi wrote:
Interestingly enough PDGA lists Trident with 1,9cm rim thickness and XXX with 2,0cm (Predator and Firebird are 1,9cm). I thought both of those were slower discs.


It may feel different because the rim is more slanted. I may have to track down a trident or two then.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 am

Varsi wrote:Interestingly enough PDGA lists Trident with 1,9cm rim thickness and XXX with 2,0cm (Predator and Firebird are 1,9cm). I thought both of those were slower discs.


The Trident and XXX have very blunt noses, and don't cut through the air as well as most other discs of the same rim width, making them slower. Also, they are quite overstable, and don't fly as far due to that as well. They are like wider rimmed fairway drivers, so to speak.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.


**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 pm
Location: Muncie, IN
Favorite Disc: PD

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby badfinger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:25 am

I throw a Blitz and a Trident pretty often for hyzer shots. Have you tried the Blitz out yet?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
badfinger
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 pm
Favorite Disc: CE Eagle

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby gknmnstr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:50 am

This is not new, has been out for a while. Just felt like sharing it again since so much of the conversation has been about pure. Definitely worth watching if you have not seen it yet. Christmas came a day late in the for of an opto pure ace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISgd_FqIEY
Pure-Fuse-River-Halo
gknmnstr
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:40 pm
Location: the nearest disc golf course
Favorite Disc: FUSE/RIVER

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby JimW » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 pm

So I picked up a Zero Mercy a few weeks ago and instantly loved it for driving with. Lost it and when I went back to the store there were none in stock, just EZE, so I picked up two of them. I don't like those as much, the plastic started out extremely slick and even now that it has worn off some I still dislike the feel of it compared to how incredible Zero feels to me. Anyway, bought another Zero today and also picked up an Opto Pure for the first time.....and am now annoyed with myself for doing so because I have a tough decision to make. They aren't the same disc for sure but they fulfill a similar role and I can't see much point in having both in the bag at once. I like the Mercy's super reliable stability, the feel of the Zero plastic, and had a clean release every time with it today. On the other hand the Opto Pure is going to wear significantly slower and has a very nice flight that's slightly more workable than the Mercy for me, though I did have a few wobbly throws with it. So now I'm stuck with two great discs that do similar things.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls


The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Seminole, FL
Favorite Disc: Whatever

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron