Latitude 64°

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Latitude 64°

Postby what'shisname » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Jeronimo wrote:OMGWTF happened to the Vision?!

The last couple I bought fly more like a +1 HSS and +4 LSS

I don't like the sound of that at all.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Jeronimo wrote:OMGWTF happened to the Vision?!

The last couple I bought fly more like a +1 HSS and +4 LSS

JR:
I went out and threw the Pure and Spike side by side in Zero line. I think I may agree with you now, they actually fly pretty friggin similar. I guess I could see how you would say the spike has a little more stability at high speed. In Grip Line its a totally different ball game though, Spike is more flippy for sure.

I wonder if they have changed the putters along the way. I'm worried now because Spike is my main putter and I drive a lot with it on shorter holes. My Spikes an Pures are Grip lines. That Vision is not a good sign but my Riot is also a pig.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:52 pm

I've yet to find a Riot that's a pig but this Vision business is really freaking me out. I think the best way to describe the ones I have is: My Vision is to the Striker, what the Blitz is to the Riot.

I can see why too, the edge of the wing has risen vertically similar to the plane of the wing on a Trident. I hope that makes sense...

The interesting thing I'm seeing again, with this vision, is the standard stable flight and then a VERY pronounced fade in the last 10-20% of flight. Seems to be a running theme with a lot of latitude discs. I'd love to get one that does not do this as much. I feel like a broken record but an answer to the JLS/Leopard/Gazelle/Cyclone would be a spectacular offering from Latitude. A retooled Vision would be awesome for this role, but what I'm throwing right now is WAY too LSS and a little too HSS.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Dag » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Received a pair of new Opto Visions in the mail yesterday to replace the one that some idjit ( :oops: ) allowed to get thoroughly violated by a crosswind, then blown into the river. I grabbed one at random, threw it in the bag and went out to play. First coupla tosses thrown as I would have thrown my original Opto Vision ended in hyzer hell with the disc eating dirt ~150' downrange and to the left (rhbh).

This morning I went out to a practice field with the two new Opto Visions and an older Grip Line Vision. The two new Optos were consistently more stable than the Grip Line (which had been a smidge more stable than the lost Opto Vision I was replacing). The stability of the two new Opto Visions was notably different between the two with the most stable flying a bit like a slower Striker or perhaps a CD. FWIW, the location of the parting line on the three Visions is noticeably higher the greater the stability as per Marmoset's suppositions in the concurrent "homework" thread.

In the same order I purchased another Striker to back up the one in my bag. The new one came out with a lower parting line and greater dome. It's a bit less stable than its predecessor.

It would appear that there are variables in the fabrication process which are not being or can not be addressed. A consistent finished product would be advantageous as, after all, it's not like we're talking frisbees here.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby dgdave » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Ok, gotta couple questions

1) Are the Grip line Spikes domey like the grip line Pure?

2) Are the Zero line Pures flat or domey?

3) How do Spikes and Pures compare Zero v. Grip?

4) How well do these plastics hold up? The Grip Pure I got feels like ESP. The original Mirus' I had from 05-06ish didn't hold up to trees that great. Not bad, ;ust not to great.

Thanks.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JimW » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:02 pm

dgdave wrote:Ok, gotta couple questions

4) How well do these plastics hold up? The Grip Pure I got feels like ESP. The original Mirus' I had from 05-06ish didn't hold up to trees that great. Not bad, ;ust not to great.

Thanks.

2. Mine are all flat
3. My Grip Pure is more HSS, not by a ton or anything but it's somewhat noticeable even for me, I'm sure at the distance you'd be throwing them on drives it'll show more
4. The first Grip Pure I owned went in the water during the tournament last weekend but I had whacked enough trees with it beforehand to notice that it doesn't take visible damage easily. Scuffing and nothing more.

I think the Mirus you had was probably the Premiere Edition plastic, right? Grip Line seems kinda different, doesn't make the same awesome sound when it hits stuff.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:51 pm

JimW wrote:
dgdave wrote:Ok, gotta couple questions

Thanks.

2. Mine are all flat
3. My Grip Pure is more HSS, not by a ton or anything but it's somewhat noticeable even for me, I'm sure at the distance you'd be throwing them on drives it'll show more
4. The first Grip Pure I owned went in the water during the tournament last weekend but I had whacked enough trees with it beforehand to notice that it doesn't take visible damage easily. Scuffing and nothing more.

I think the Mirus you had was probably the Premiere Edition plastic, right? Grip Line seems kinda different, doesn't make the same awesome sound when it hits stuff.

What Jim said I do not disagree with but i'll throw out my own two cents as well since i've been throwing these a lot for a while.

1. Among all the spikes/pures I've seen, the grip line version is just a bit domier than its Zero line counterpart.
2. Sounds like you only bought a grip line pure. The Zero line pure is flatter. Feels like there's less rim you have to wrap your index finger under as well.
3. This is where it gets odd in my book. From my experience, when you have the pure and spike side by side in Zero plastic: the Spike is more stable. In Grip line: the Pure is more stable. Zero Pures are a wee bit understable, Grip lines are just plain ol' stable. Zero Spikes: stable to slightly understable, Gripline Spikes: a little understable. Make any sense?
4. They're not going to stay pretty, but they're not going to degenerate. Like Jim said, scuffing and nothing more.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Question:

Why is the XXX so awesome at thumbers?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Question:

Why is the XXX so awesome at thumbers?

Try the Trident for this too.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 pm

Ok, I said I would so here they are:

overstable striker on left, normal striker everyone knows and loves on right

overstable vision on left, understable vision on right

Remember, these are supposedly the SAME discs side by side. The noses should be tip to tip and CLEARLY you can see that is not the case. The Visions don't even resemble each other!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Kinda wanna try that stable vision.

Looks like it curled the wing up during the cooling process.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Spike » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Jeronimo, that makes so much sense! My Striker looks like the one to the left and is very stable.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby RS39 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:07 am

Great pics! (and Holy Cow that Vision is off)

My 168g Strikers also match your view, with a typical flat 300ft throw resulting in the newer/high line/stable version turning about 5% early and then going about 40% farther left. Throwing a mild hyzer arc minimizes the variation in flights. Not enough to regret having a rich blue fall disc instead of the clear blue early run.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby cmlasley » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:16 am

Does anyone else think that the overstable Vision and the overstable Striker look eerily similar? Is there just a nose spacer difference b/t these two discs? I've never seen a Vision in person.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby adamschneider » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42 am

Wow, damning evidence. I hope they fix this!
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment