Discraft help

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discraft help

Postby Kingbee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:25 pm

Hello, I have been snooping around for a while reading up. I finaly caved, seems like a cool forum.

There are a couple other threads going on about Discraft discs. But this is a little different than comparing discs to other discs. I have been playing for a couple years now. All that stores around here cary are Innova. So I dont have the advantage of being able to go to a store and feel Discrafts different plastics and all that. People around here say there are a huge difference between Z and X plastics in the same disc. So Im scared to buy one or the other. I cant afford to just buy both.

I keep my bag pretty simple, though its starting to grow quickly now that Im learning about other discs. I carry a Champ Orc 166g, DX Teebird 173g, and an Avair 158g. My game is starting to really struggle in the approach area. I can use the Avair with in 50' or so, but its just to light to go any farther, especialy if there is wind. So Im looking around for a Roc.

From looking around here are the discs Im looking at getting. Avenger, Cyclone, Buzz and a Gateway Wizard. I can throw heavier discs, so I know what weights im looking around for. But Im not sure what plastics I should get. I throw RHBH and can throw side arm just as far on a drive, about 300'.

I have seen Wizards in H series and S Series, some help here would be nice too.

And lastly, wheres a good place to order Discraft discs? I got some quotes from different websites and it looks like discfly.com is the cheapest so far.

Thanks!
Kingbee
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:22 pm

closest substitutes:

orc -> z flash or esp surge
teebird -> z xl or x avenger
aviar -> d challenger or d banger
roc -> d wasp or d buzzz or z buzzz (the x buzz is the straightest but least high speed stable)

have quite a bit of discraft on sale where i work: www.gottagogottathrow.com

i think the flashes are $10.49 right now.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:04 am

looks like somebody needs a Wizard. I highly recommend one.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:40 am

now that the wizard has been tweaked again (the new engravings have thickened the flight plate) i'm getting pretty frustrated with it.

every state of the wizard has been imo, the best putt & approach on the market, but honestly, the only advantages i have really found over the banger and challenger are:
1) it's about 3% longer than a challenger, slightly less low speed overstable, and more durable
2) it's about 2% longer than a banger, nearly identical in flight, but a lot more durable

there's plenty of good putters available nowadays, but i still wish that the aviar driver was available :P
Blake_T

Postby Kingbee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:03 am

Blake,

Thanks for your help. I made a couple changes to my line up. Ill def go with the XL over the Avenger in place of a teebird. Its a little more strait flying, thats what I like to grab when I need to pinpoint my drive. Ill check out the challenger and banger, maybe Ill get one of those and a wizard. Everyone has been raving about the wizard, I gota give it a try.
Kingbee
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:19 am

I got the 5 for 35 wizard deal and I was not super impressed with the wizard. I personally like the banger and challenger over the wizard. What I liked about the wizard was that it could be thrown hard and far. What I didn't like was that it didn't seem to hold a line as well as a banger or challenger. Also the Wizard was a bit harder than I like in a putter, the stiffness of a few of them was just uncomfortable for me.
The Challenger in X or Cryztal plastic is a great driving putter. The banger is great too but it deforms really quickly IMO. If the banger came out in better plastic I would instantly start using it all the time.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Kingbee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:22 am

I just put an order in through your site. Thanks for your help Blake.
Kingbee
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 am

the problem with wizards lately is that they are VERY inconsistent. also, many stores sell very little gateway, so they may have older wizards, newer ones, etc.

the current mediums are stiffer than the old firms... mediums from a year ago were similar to the old firms... the current firms feel like they are made of porcelein.

the thing that keeps me throwing them is that i still have one of the first wizards i ever owned in my bag. it has seen 700+ rounds and still flies dead stable off the tee... can't say that about any other disc i've ever owned.
Blake_T

Postby kling » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:12 am

Wizards being inconsistant really sux :(
Is there an easy way to distinguish a "good" one from a "bad" one? Easy enough to describe to a web shop person that is.
kling
Noob

Postby Kingbee » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:33 am

Call and ask?
Kingbee
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:31 am

a lot of it is subjective.

for some reason due to the atmospheric conditions and plastic available lately, most of the current s wizards are super slick on the bottom (with the exception of the shalky black ones).

everyone will have their own view of which versions were best. i prefer the original mold in firm/med. basically, what has happened is that each mold variant of wizard has started flying slower, but also less low speed overstable.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:47 am

That saddens me about the wizard. I knew about the stiffness problems. I am currently throwing the soft, which is stiffer than the firms that I like so much.

The chalky black ones, can those still be found? I have one which is getting pretty beat but have yet to find a replacement.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment