Spectra- not all its cracked up to be

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Spectra- not all its cracked up to be

Postby twmccoy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:47 am

I've been doing a little field testing with my drivers lately and noticed the spectra continually lagging behind the wraiths and pro starfire. The thing is very fast and starts out well, but it has too much low speed fade and just dies. I've come to the conclusion that the pro starfire has about the same stability but is way easier to throw farther. Anyone else have any comments?

This disc just isn't worth $20 a pop. Luckily I didn't buy mine.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:02 pm

i find the spectra to be substantially less stable than a pro starfire. i know that sub-170g the spectras fly a lot more like dx valks.

they are also of the type of disc that must have substantial turn on them to get carry and with their dome height, need a bit more air under them to keep them up.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:34 pm

I haven't thrown mine for the simple fact that it was costly, but it's calling to me... Do I want to try and turn it over so it comes back?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 pm

if it is lighter, it should flip without being forced. heavy ones are a bit more stable, but not by much.
Blake_T

spectra

Postby twmccoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:11 pm

Mine flips up and flies great, but as soon as it starts slowing down it just crashes. I can get better distance with wraiths and pro starfires consistently just because they don't fade out as sharply.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby mothrows » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I agree. My starfire glides much farther.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:32 pm

I picked up a 172 used Spectra today along with a 171 Tracker. Do these discs throw pretty long. I play a pretty wooded course and was hoping the tracker would be a good driver for the tight holes and the Spectra would be a good light headwind disc. I heard it has good glide and with a predictable finish, is that right?

Also, unrelated but cool, I also found a practically brand new star stamped star teerex at played again for $8 :o can't wait to try it out.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:39 pm

the tracker isn't a particularly long disc but it has decent versatility.

the spectra is more of a tailwind driver.

as for getting max d with a spectra, due to the dome height, you really need to have it turned over substantially, almost into a distance line turn to get it to continue gliding and finish nose down. its profile gives it inherently more lift than most newer discs and thus needs to fly in a way that compensates for that. the XL was similar in this regard.
Blake_T

Return to Equipment