midrange discs over-rated ??

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: midrange discs over-rated ??

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Frank_Delicious wrote:"this is the thread all the crappy jokes are about".

Frank_Delicious wrote:yes, it was old before it was new.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Roy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Frank_Delicious wrote:
Roy wrote:
Will it ever get old? Bitches? :lol:

yes, it was old before it was new.

That's part of the magic.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby maks » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:15 pm

TEX wrote:I personally use a DX Skeeter as a putter and a Midrange. So, I'm able to get a range of putt to 200' with one disc. I also use a TL for everything else in the 100 to 300' range depending on the situation. My main driver for 300+' is the Viking. My wind, forehand and short fade driver is the Xcal. With these 4 discs I get everything covered.

i didnt know noobs could post in this topic......bitches.

jk :lol:
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby Mikeytime » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:45 pm

After the first page and a half of this thread I thought, "This is ridiculous, I'm going to stop reading now." At about page 5 I thought, "I wish this Matt character was from somewhere that isn't my home state." At page 10 I thought, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills." Now that I've read the whole thing I wish there was some way to unread it and go back to the happy place that was my life pre-this-thread. However, I'm definitely not above contributing to the madness. As a naturally athletic guy who can bomb Gazelles somewhere in the 700' range that has a blatant disregard for your opinion and the conventions of the English language, I think this thread title should be renamed to: Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...

Bitches
Good. Bad. I'm the man with the gun.
Mikeytime
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 am

whooops
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby DeadEye » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Mid ranges are underrated.
DeadEye
Noob

Favorite Disc: The one I Ace with

Postby Timko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm

This thread is overrated.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby JimW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Can we move this thread to Europe so it can just be rated?
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby jaydub803 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 pm

When this rose to the top today I saw it and had no time to read it but I was excited, thinking that some guru was about to unleash upon me a great secret that would leave me trading rocs and makos for teebirds and katanas, maybe dropping my putter for leopards. I was antisipating reading this for about 4 hours. Oh well.
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Postby Ryan C » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 pm

jaydub803 wrote:When this rose to the top today I saw it and had no time to read it but I was excited, thinking that some guru was about to unleash upon me a great secret that would leave me trading rocs and makos for teebirds and katanas, maybe dropping my putter for leopards. I was antisipating reading this for about 4 hours. Oh well.

You thought some guru was going to show us all that midrange discs aren't necessary, even though we know that all the top ranked players in the world use them extensively?
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re:

Postby money 21 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Blake_T wrote:stable mids are much more wind resistant than putters.

basically, fairway drivers should get 85-90% of your distance driver distance.
midranges should get about 75% of your dristance driver distance.
putters should get about 70% of your distance driver distance.

when you do the math, the longer you throw in general widens the distance ranges between each type.

This is one of the best statement i have seen posted about disc golf and is a great thing for new players to understand. my local course just put in cement tee pads and alot of new players are showing up. They see me and some of the experienced player teeing off with mids and throwing long approaches with putters and it surprises them. They will tee every hole with a driver then throw there mid until they putt. If you can reach the basket witha putter throw a putter.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 am

One of the better players I play with regularly (975 rating now) doesn't throw mids. He actually just throws a very minimal bag. Max, Destroyer, Pro Wraith, (a new disc thats not a staple) Wizard, SE Rhyno. I think thats it. He is a very good putter driver and has a good backhand and forehand. There are times he seems stumped between the putter and driver and wishes he had a mid in his bag (then throws the max and gets ctp). When he plays serious I beat him 1 out of 5 rounds.

I would be lost without my mids. (especially if I didn't carry a fairway driver like him). Currently I am trying X comet, Z comet, Z comet, aftershock. The heavy Z comet took 95% of my buzzz shots away.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Re:

Postby FHthrower » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:54 pm

money 21 wrote:
Blake_T wrote:stable mids are much more wind resistant than putters.

basically, fairway drivers should get 85-90% of your distance driver distance.
midranges should get about 75% of your dristance driver distance.
putters should get about 70% of your distance driver distance.

when you do the math, the longer you throw in general widens the distance ranges between each type.

This is one of the best statement i have seen posted about disc golf and is a great thing for new players to understand. my local course just put in cement tee pads and alot of new players are showing up. They see me and some of the experienced player teeing off with mids and throwing long approaches with putters and it surprises them. They will tee every hole with a driver then throw there mid until they putt. If you can reach the basket witha putter throw a putter.

<< If you can reach the basket witha putter throw a putter >>

Why?
Is Frank Serious?
FHthrower
Feed Me Seymour!

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:39 pm

why throw a putter on a short hole? control. the shot will be slower flying and will land rather softly and not skip (almost certainly). if it does hit a tree or something it won't ricochet as far as a faster flying disc. the same is true for holes reachable with a mid.

there is a caveat to this strategy which I am falling victim to lately. when you can throw a mid 350 and a putter 300+ you start thinking that you must stretch every throw with the slowest disc possible. what this causes you to do is to throw more shots at near max power which reduces consistency. the best shot is usually the buttery smooth 70% power shot with a mid or a driver. I'm really bad about wanting to flex the guns and park that 320' hole with a Wiz rather than playing golf and shaping a shot with a powered down driver shot or just a normal midrange shot. I also don't practice putting enough. thank you Frank for giving me this advice on two separate occasions. I was too hardheaded to truly heed it.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby FHthrower » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:17 pm

keltik wrote:why throw a putter on a short hole? control. the shot will be slower flying and will land rather softly and not skip (almost certainly). if it does hit a tree or something it won't ricochet as far as a faster flying disc. the same is true for holes reachable with a mid.

there is a caveat to this strategy which I am falling victim to lately. when you can throw a mid 350 and a putter 300+ you start thinking that you must stretch every throw with the slowest disc possible. what this causes you to do is to throw more shots at near max power which reduces consistency. the best shot is usually the buttery smooth 70% power shot with a mid or a driver. I'm really bad about wanting to flex the guns and park that 320' hole with a Wiz rather than playing golf and shaping a shot with a powered down driver shot or just a normal midrange shot. I also don't practice putting enough. thank you Frank for giving me this advice on two separate occasions. I was too hardheaded to truly heed it.

He didn't say on a shorter hole, he said "if you can reach the basket".

Yeh, I can agree with a mid, as you're describing. I think fairway drivers are a forgotten art in DG though. Leopard and Cyclone are excellent discs to use on shorter holes and they both land pretty soft and flat.
Is Frank Serious?
FHthrower
Feed Me Seymour!

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment