Sidewinder/Beast

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidewinder/Beast

Postby rodman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:04 am

I've finally gotten these 2 great discs into my bag. I've found use for both now. The sidewinder is now broken in.... OR I've just improved a bit. I'm now able to crank this one as far backhanded as I can any of my other drivers. I'm getting just over 300 feet consistently with this joker. I can also hit over 330 with it side arm but it falls far short of my Beast when throwing side arm.

I never could get the beast to fly well for me throwing it back hand but now I'm starting to throw a bit side arm too and this thing is like a rocket for me. I just visualize the line and imagine that a straight line is drawn from a foot or 2 outside my right shoulder all the way to my target and then I try to put the Beast parallel to the ground about 3 feet above this imaginary line and ZAP there she goes.

I'm looking forward to tossing this guy out there in my next match with my friends. They dont know I'm throwing sidearm and will be interested to see my disc fly an extra 50-70 feet.
rodman
Noob

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:25 am

I totally agree these are great drivers, and are much more "normal" in their flight to me.

The Beast is good for a mega deep S curve every once in a while, but is not as consistent as the SW. For me the SW is a right hand glide or "flip up" Orc, that you would not throw into the wind. Same speed as an Orc, but more "old school" turnover glide that can be thrown from a smooth heyser snap.

The SW is also forgiving to "off speed" throws, and will predictably fall to the left on off speed throws.

The SW and Beast are very nearly reduntant. I will probably drop the Beast.

Of course, a Leopard does nearly the same job and is probaly more consistent although a few feet shorter.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby krusen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:47 am

I've got a couple old mold Beasts and they are my go to long D discs. For the power I have they fly very predictable with a hyzer flip. I use a sidewinder for long right turns.
I have heard from several people thought that the new mold Beast and Sidewinder overlap some.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:17 pm

krusen wrote:I've got a couple old mold Beasts and they are my go to long D discs. For the power I have they fly very predictable with a hyzer flip. I use a sidewinder for long right turns.
I have heard from several people thought that the new mold Beast and Sidewinder overlap some.

I agree. The Beast is a longer winged Sidewinder. The longer wing should afford greater glide, but mostly what it does is make the distance predictability difficult. Every now angain, when the stars align just right, the Beast will do a super glide out, but I would not bet the farm...

The Sidewinder is much more "useable".
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jiwaburst » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:57 pm

I really like the DX Beast when broken in. I much prefer it to the sidewinder for the same shots. But pre Broken-in, or new model Champ Beast, I'll take the sidewinder.

I gotta get me another couple DX Beasts, and a couple of DX Wraiths to see if they will become the same thing.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Glide

Postby rodman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:37 pm

I find that on most throws they land in the same spot but that 1 in 4 throw with the beast it will sail way past the Sidewinder. I actually really like the Sidewinder's path for both back hand and side arm. IT's becoming a great option for me.
rodman
Noob

beasts

Postby twmccoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 pm

The difference between the old beast and the 2X beast is fairly significant. The 2X flies exactly like a SW to me and has the same rim configuration and dome. The older beast is a little flatter, faster and seems to penetrate better. The 2X beast flips easier and is useless in the wind.

I do love the old mold though, and luckily I have a lifetime supply and then some.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment