Lightning Discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lightning Discs

Postby tredway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:58 pm

Anyone use these? I am thinking of trying them. Specifically the Driver #1.
tredway
Noob

Postby garublador » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:02 pm

My fiance uses a couple of their discs. The low end plastic gets beat up really fast (much faster than Innova DX), but she likes them besides that.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:10 pm

lightning has a number of discs that are amongst the easiest to throw of any discs on the market. i'm a big fan of the #2 and #3 flyers as first discs.

they only have 2 discs that would fit into the modern driver category (the #1 and #2 helix). i think the #2 helix is a pretty decent disc. stability is similar to a polaris ls but faster and with more glide.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

lightning

Postby twmccoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:18 pm

NO! Don't waste your time. There are so many better discs out there. The #1 driver is OK, kinda flies like a valk. The plastic gets trashed quick though and these discs become useless in a matter of throws. I actually kind of like the #1 helix, but other than that lightnings are junk. They also seem to fly slower and shorter than innovas or discrafts.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:27 pm

most of lightning's models are from ~1987-1995 and fly comperable distances to discs made by other manufacturers from that era.

their most recent discs are the #2 helix, #2 upshot, and #4 driver.

the #2 upshot is actually a very under-rated disc. great low profile beaded putter similar to a flatter classic roc.

the #2 hookshot was the first disc to break the 600' barrier (1987) and is one of my favorite discs from them (similar range to a storm or cobra).

i don't say to avoid them altogether, but expect to outgrow their line as you progress. if you are already there, there is little/no need for them.

i can say i would much rather see a #1 driver/flyer in the hands of a newbie than 99% of innova and discraft's line.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:35 pm

what about the rubber putter, for a while (like before everyone loved wizards) they were the putter to have, oh and they float! :lol:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:58 pm

the rubber putter gets flippy if you try and push it beyond ~175'. the only putters i ever condone should be stable well beyond that :)
Blake_T

Return to Equipment