Star TeeBird

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Star TeeBird

Postby Jestyr » Sat May 06, 2006 11:05 am

I bought 2 star teebirds from the guy locally who sells them. I wanted the TL, but the guy didn't have them. I *knew* I shouldn't get them, but I felt kinda bad because he drove to meet me (sells from his van) and I figured, hey, how different could they really be? I mean, I really like my really beat in DX teebird that I got used.

Well, I hate them. They are too overstable for -- I have significant trouble getting them to fly straight. Funny thing is I really like the way the star plastic feels.

I guess this is part rant, and part question: should I have been swayed to buy them becuase he drove to meet me and obviously doesn't have much money (where as I am not rich by any stretch, but I am comfortable enough)? I know I would not have bought them if I had gone to an actual store.

Should I take them out of my bag for the time being because I do not have the power to throw them, sell them, or keep them in bag and use them for hyzer or windy situations?
Jestyr
Noob

Postby garublador » Sat May 06, 2006 1:07 pm

Why didn't he tell you before hand that he didn't have the TL's?

I'd use them as an overstable driver for now.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 06, 2006 1:39 pm

Id say sell them now while everyone is still nuts for the star plastic stuff. I wouldnt have bought them from him unless I said i wanted teebirds not teebird l's
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jiwaburst » Sat May 06, 2006 2:42 pm

I love my star Teebird. It is farther than my Champs and can be used into the wind full power with my technique which my beat DX can not be. Controlled sidearm drives, hyzer approaches, low S curves, it works for me for al these shots. But I don't throw straight very well anyway, so I don't usually try.

But if you don't like playing a medium-fast disc that wants to fade, I can see why you'd be miffed.

I'd buy them from you if you want to take a little loss on the transaction:cry:

<empathy>I do know what you mean though about feeling obligated to buy something from a guy who started pulling a whole bunch of discs out of his vehicle. I've had that happen to me before too. I eventually had to realize that I like discs and sometimes would be buying discs that didn't fit the need I thought I was filling. But most discs work pretty well, and very few discs are 'worthless'. The only disc I really think was a useless buy was a Champ Aero I got for my wife at the beginning, well that and the Archangel I got her.</empathy>
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Jestyr » Sat May 06, 2006 5:05 pm

I do not blame him -- I did not say I wanted any specific disks when spoke on the phone. Normally he is at the one of the local courses, but he was not going to be able to make it there for the next 2 days and I was playing the following morning. He offered to meet me at a different location if I wanted -- he was being cool about it.

I'll see if I use them at all over the next few rounds and then make a decision. I'll let you know jiwaburst if I want to sell them -- I would expect to take some loss.
Jestyr
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 06, 2006 7:29 pm

I would have bought something to if I had him drive out just to look ;-), When you find the star tl, it should be just what you want.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Solty » Sat May 06, 2006 8:16 pm

i heart teebirds....:)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 07, 2006 12:20 pm

the star teebird isn't really a teebird (although i don't feel this way about the champ teebird either).

it's very overstable, but it's profile does not make it a great wind driver either (it doesn't penetrate well enough compared to other discs).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jestyr » Sun May 07, 2006 7:04 pm

Is the Star TL really a TL?
Jestyr
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 07, 2006 7:55 pm

if its anything like other star stuff it will be a touch faster and a bit more stable. mabey it will fly like a kc teebird, lol

really though some discs in star surprised me, the star valk is more stable than the champ valks even.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 07, 2006 8:29 pm

if you consider the pro TL and cfr TL's TL's, then yes, the star TL's will resemble TL's.

if you consider the old SE and CE TL's to be the true TL's, then no, it's not like those.
Blake_T

Postby Weebl » Sun May 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Blake_T wrote:if you consider the old SE and CE TL's to be the true TL's, then no, it's not like those.

:(
I heard from some that the star TLs flew like the old CE TLs and further, I was hoping they were right... Back to hunting the trunk sales for me.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jestyr » Mon May 08, 2006 6:57 am

What are the differences between the old TLs that you are describing and the new ones?
Jestyr
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 08, 2006 7:20 am

old TL's are more high speed stable and more low speed overstable.
Blake_T

Postby Jestyr » Mon May 08, 2006 7:55 am

Wouldn't that make them more like the regular teebird?
Jestyr
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment