Star TeeBird

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 08, 2006 8:10 am

no, as they have a "notchless" flight path.

if you compare a starfire-x to a starfire-l, the differences go beyond the raw objective stability (flight ratings). while on paper they may look similar, the actual performance difference is noticeable in certain ways.

this is the same for the E vs. EL, F vs. FL, etc.

i would have rated the original TL -0.5 +2 in SE, and -0.5 +3 in CE.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 am

Which is why, I'm guessing, people liked to roll beat CE TLs/ELs?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:44 pm

So about 5 months ago or so I tried a Star Teebird at 174, I think it was. At the time I was throwing CFR, Star, and Pro TLs and had only thrown Teebirds a handful of times. I found the Star TB to be super overstable, and not really useful at all. I traded it to a guy shortly thereafter.

I've been throwing DX Teebirds for several months now, and I decided to try the Star TB again. I picked up a 166 (I throw DXs at 172), and I love it. It is definitely more overstable than the DX, but that was exactly what I was looking for. I found that it would throw just as straight as my DXs for 90% of the flight, with the predicatble fade very late in the flight. The only difference is that the Star fades more left than the DX does (maybe about 20-25' on a 325' throw, instead of 10-15' with DX). Otherwise, identical flight, but I found the Star a bit better in a headwind.

Take into account, I do have 400+ feet of power, so I could see it being more overstable with someone with lesser armspeed who normally throws DX with no problem. Essentially, it's still a Teebird to me, and still useful, just for a different purpose.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:26 pm

the star tl is much like a brand new dx teebird, but a lil less fade. i figured that i wouldnt like the star teebirds seeing how star plastic is more overstable.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby jiwaburst » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:05 am

I've been throwing DX Teebirds for several months now, and I decided to try the Star TB again. I picked up a 166 (I throw DXs at 172), and I love it. It is definitely more overstable than the DX, but that was exactly what I was looking for. I found that it would throw just as straight as my DXs for 90% of the flight, with the predicatble fade very late in the flight. The only difference is that the Star fades more left than the DX does (maybe about 20-25' on a 325' throw, instead of 10-15' with DX). Otherwise, identical flight, but I found the Star a bit better in a headwind.

Essentially, it's still a Teebird to me, and still useful, just for a different purpose.

Yep. same same. My broken-in Star Teebird is really close to a first throw om a new DX Teebird. I use both DX and Star as compliments of each other.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:59 am

I use the same set up (star teebird, dx birds, star tl) as well. Works great. The star tb, though, is also noticeably shorter for me than my broken in dx teebirds. But it's useful enought that it comes out regularly (especially with wind).
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby bigs348 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:47 am

lock-off wrote:the star tl is much like a brand new dx teebird, but a lil less fade. i figured that i wouldnt like the star teebirds seeing how star plastic is more overstable.

If you're finding the Star TL to fly like a new DX Teebird, then I wouldn't recommend the Star TB, it would most likely be way overstable (just like I found it when I first tried it a few months ago). Now I carry two DX Teebirds at 172g, a 166g Star Teebird, and a 172g Star TL.

The DX Teebirds are my main straight control drivers. The Star TB only comes out when I want more fade or there's a wind pushing. The Star TL is my money driver -- great for long turnovers, low speed S-curves, and rollers. Basically, it's good for anything my Teebirds aren't good for.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:05 am

nice bigs , good to see theres a few of us in that same boat (dont have the star teebird but the rest of that is me)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Amateur » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:40 am

I had a white 161 star teebird and it was the first disc I could throw straight consistiently. I used it as my main driver for 1.5 months solid of 36+ holes a day. I started to turn it over :shock: and eventually lost it in the woods.

Then I picked up a 171 (old gummy plastic) DX Teebird. I threw it one round and hit 5 trees hard. I had 5 extremely large divots cut into the rim. It hurt my hand to throw it after that so I gave it to a friend.

Then I got a 165 Champ Teebird and this thing was so overstable I could not justify throwing it as my straight driver so it's out of my bag.

Then I gave up on Innova entirely.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Rooster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:48 am

get a tracker is a TL but better.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:05 pm

tracker is almost identical to the L-mold Eagles, and I believe the L mold is all innova makes anymore?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Previous

Return to Equipment