comparing runs of spiders....

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

comparing runs of spiders....

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:42 pm

For the longest time i have admired my friends pro-line spider. Not Pro plastic, but the early champion runs that were called pro-line. Its super clear and gummy and can do everything inside of 200'

today, i was playing a round with the a local pro who happens to sell discs, and i found a proline hidden amongst the champions and i immediatly snatched it.

The thing is, its murky-opaque compared to my friends clear pro-line. Im assuming its due to the fact that mine is a 175 and his is about 163-167. its also a bit more ridgid, but not as much as champion. this probably also is because of weight.

The pro i bought it from said that the opaque ones always seem to be more overstable, but i thought that was only due to weight, so now im confused.

so what im getting to is, as far as stability and flight go, how do they all compare?

are the opaque vs clear pro line any more/less stable, or is it only due to weight? and how do these compare to the newer champion runs of spiders?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 07, 2006 4:23 pm

stiffer discs will usually tend to be a touch more stable than a softer disc. If its a bit more stable it would have to do with the cooling process. In a heavier weight any disc will hold a line better (given it has enough snap), and a stiffer disc also holds a line better and isnt affected by wind as much.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:25 pm

well i know that is the general idea with all discs, but discs varry a bit run to run, and especially plastic to plastic, so i was wondering if anyone had experience specifically with the different runs of spiders.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Ive thrown CE, Proline, Champ and DX Spiders (they were my go to mid for quite a while.

DX is best for overall control (when newer)
CE is best for holding lines, wind and handling more power
The onlny proline Ive thrown was more similar to CE than Champ, and I would describe it more like yours than your friends.

I think the prolines or champs are the most versitle, because the firmer ones have little to no glide, which is a plus and a con depending on your game. that and the weight, they loose alot of glide (being a small diameter disc) the heavier they are
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 07, 2006 5:27 pm

the gummy clear spiders still exist, but now have the champ stamp on them. there are both the opaque and clear ones.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 07, 2006 5:48 pm

well i dont think i can really compare my pro line to CE, but it is much different than the other pro lines ive seen. i love it though, because its more rigid, but it has the much grippier plastic.

overall, i like the feel of the disc much better than my buzz, but my buzz cant just be kicked out of my bag, its my favorite disc. this is the only real problem i have...

heres what ive noticed...

the Buzz holds a straighter flight and flies farther than the spider, which has a slight S turn. and this would lead me to believe that the buzz is more stable. yet when throwing hyzer, the buzz is more likely to flip up flat than the spider, which is odd because that would mean that its more stable.

i think that due to having less glide, i will be able to use the spider in windy shots, and more anny/hyzer approaches. the buzz i will use for straight drives and anytime i need something super controllable and predictible.

i think im going to break my own rule here and have some overlap in the midrange department. maybey i could take the MRV out? who knows. Im going to have to think about this one for a while...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 07, 2006 6:26 pm

ive always felt the buzzz is more a straight flier while the spider is more a control driver. I carried both for a long while. now I carry an element X for all buzzz type shots, and a couple spider shots, while a e wizard can do almost everything id use the spider for (it was defianately a shorter midrange for me, not much control over it over 275')
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 07, 2006 7:13 pm

thats kinda funny, because i always carried a E wizzard in my bag, but since i barely threw it once a round and now i have a spider, i was going to take it out along with my MRV.

the same person that i bought this disc, and almost all other discs from is a huge fan of gateway. he was telling me about his elements, and how i should give them a try. i am sure i will, but i just love my buzz, and i dont want to take it out of my bag.

its unfortunate, because i really like gateways plastic, but im about to replace my last gateway disc.

one thing i just realised is that the Glow E wizzard i have feels identical to the plastic on my spider.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 07, 2006 8:00 pm

glow e wizard, sounds nice, pretty firm im geussing. I have a s or s/h belnd glow wizard that I used for putts for a while (about as soft if not a touch softer than a soft wizard) but it was too soft for me :? its retired to night golf
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 07, 2006 8:40 pm

my advice:

pick 1 and master it.

if during that process you find things you deem inadequate about the disc, switch it out and work on the other disc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Sun May 07, 2006 11:49 pm

They made CE Spiders?? Or are you refering to the opaque Proline Spiders?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon May 08, 2006 7:55 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:glow e wizard, sounds nice, pretty firm im geussing. I have a s or s/h belnd glow wizard that I used for putts for a while (about as soft if not a touch softer than a soft wizard) but it was too soft for me :? its retired to night golf

actually, my glow wiz is pretty soft compared to most wizards ive used. i dont know if it would fall under soft or not, but like i said, its a lot like my spider. the flight plate is very gummy.

i played a round this morning and i still cant decide between the spider and the buzz. spider feels better in my hands, but it isnt as easy to throw those low line drives like my buzz. it likes a little side to side play. not much, but i cant say its as straight as an arrow like the buzz.

i played this morning without the MRV and Wiz and i cant say i missed them at all. i used them so little, im pretty sure the spider can take over that role.

unfortunatly i played alone, and i took probably 3 drives on each hole to try new lines, and i ended up loosing a disc. RIP Orc. may be for the best anyhow, i never really had the arm to throw it. maybey in lighter weights...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

spiders

Postby twmccoy » Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 am

I used to use a clear proline spider for putting and short shots, but it has been replaced with a pro rhyno. I have also thrown the regular champion spider and it seems fairly overstable. I do have an old star stamp one but have not thrown it. I also have an opaque proline that I've never thrown either. I still like spiders but there isn't one in my bag right now thanks to the buzz and rhyno.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 08, 2006 9:40 am

Those gummy spiders are what some down in south Tx use for putters. I believe I would remove the spider and keep the wizard.

I agree with Blake though. Pick one and learn it. There is a guy down here that throws a spider on all holes but 2.

While everyone else was using spiders, I was using a firm wizard for putt and approaches. If I needed more distance I would use a z buzz.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment