Putter Weights

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Weights

Postby soaresjo » Tue May 09, 2006 10:11 am

I have a few putters and have been experimenting with them a lot lately. I cannot decide if I like a heavier putter (172+) or a lighter one (high 160s). What is your preference? Why?
thanks

-john
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Solty » Tue May 09, 2006 10:19 am

i'm pretty much a max wt kinda putter guy

175 wiz's(E, SS, and Soft)

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby sleepy » Tue May 09, 2006 10:41 am

I throw max weight putters, mostly because that's what was recommended to me. I don't throw max weight in my drivers, but my mids and putters are max weight.

The only lighter putter I've ever used was a 150g Aviar P&A that came in the Innova starter pack I bought at Dunham's when I was brand new. I know that's not a real good comparison to a 175g disc, but I do recall that 150g putter getting tossed around like a paper plate if I even exhaled while putting, let alone the wind blowing...and that was with a clean, flat release!

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fritz » Tue May 09, 2006 11:03 am

Max weight Soft Wizards. 175g and a Max weight Rhyno (mostly for approach and wind that is heavy)
not really sure why, they just seem to go better for me in max weight.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 09, 2006 11:04 am

what ever you choose stick to it. I throw 172's because I dont like the thought that some of my 175's could be 180's and others 176's and 175's.

Not only that but they work for me! I push the disc for a more consistant release more than try to spin it. Heavier discs give me better predictability in shorter ranges, but lighter putters give me a better range. (Although pushing is never the best for range its been working yesterday I hit my longest putt outside of a casual round 98' using my usual stroke with a small step up :wink: )
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 09, 2006 11:14 am

I use a 169 JK avair for my putter but am trying a 168 chalky black ss wzard out. I want to like the wizard but sometimes it will bounce out on putts that the JK normally sticks, I am sure that is just my putting style though. I don't like heavier putters for putting, especially not max weight considering they could weigh more. I feel like that weight for me is just right, light enough that I can finess it but heavy enough I can get some good snap on it and it stays on its line.

All my approach putters weight close to max weight though.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 am

I throw max weight putters and mids. For short putts, it doesn't make much different, but for longer putts I like the extra stability and extra distance of max weights.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

super soft wizard

Postby soaresjo » Tue May 09, 2006 1:27 pm

cool thanks for the info. I have been throwing a 172 KC Aviar and have been liking it. However, I still feel there is a putter that better suites my form. I have read a ton of great things about the wizard and have heard you guys talk it up as well. I am for sure going to pick a couple of those up. Probably shoot for one at 172 and one at 174/5. I hear the super soft plastic is prime, but was wondering if you guys have any input on what kind of plastic you think I should get my wizard in?
thanks

-john

(It seems like there are a lot of different types of wizards to choose from! which one!)
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 09, 2006 3:10 pm

welll, here's a few things.

very few people give an informed opinion on putters because
1) most people are bad putters
2) most people have only thrown one weight range of putter

there's also a few aspects to look at putters
1) as a putter
2) as an approach disc (think wedge)
3) as a short driver (7-9 iron)

honestly, i don't think any one weight is best suited for all 3 of those.

assuming you pick a stable putter mold (there's only like 5), then it's easy to break down.

heavier putters are SLIGHTLY (only slightly, i cannot emphasize this enough) better into the wind, but are worse if you nose down putt and any putt with a tail wind.

heavier putters ARE better as drivers.

mid-weight putters make the best approach discs since they have added stability but also are able to be thrown with a very compact flick/chop stroke and still get decent carry (heavier putters are not good for this).

lighter putters will carry farther when thrown with the same power as a heavier putter. on longer putts, this is significant. if your putt is flat (read as: you don't use any turn/fade or have the nose significantly up/down), a 165g putter will have about 30% more carry on longer putts than a 175g putter. i can putt a 165 45' and with the same power a 175g will go 35'.

heavier putters in slicker plastic will catch more on the left side of the chains than lighter weights, but lighter weights in slick plastic will catch more on the right side. in soft/sticky plastic, reverse this trend.

heavier putters will have more cut throughs, lighter putters will have more bounce outs (e.g. pushed out by chain reflex).

as for soft vs. hard putters:

soft putters will skip/roll less, but also will not hold as good of a line as a firm putter (soft putters flip more easily and are more low speed overstable). they also perform worse into the wind, unless you are throwing nose up and want a parachute drop type shot. soft putters catch more on right side, but miss more on left side.

needless to say, my putter rig:
175g med wizard - drives
171g med wizard - long approaches, finesse approaches
170g supersoft wizard - air bounce approaches, stuff where i need it to stop dead
165g - putts

btw, if you dont' like the kc aviar, you won't like the wizard either. the wizard is basically just a more stable kc aviar, but it is more difficult to putt with since it has increased nose angle sensitivity.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Tue May 09, 2006 8:11 pm

Thanks Blake!

I had up until now been trying to get one weight to do it all. I think I'll pick up a few more wizards in different weights and see how they perform on different shots.

Two things, if I may...

1) Do you think the type of plastic the wizard is in makes that big of a difference? (Example) will a medium wizard in E plastic be that much better than an S soft wizard for driving/approaching/putting?

2) Is the KC Aviar different enough from the wizard to warrant trying it out; or should I just give the wizard more time and try it in different weights/plastics?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Blake, a quick question for you after your putter post:

I currently putt with a 175g Star Aviar and have another two of the exact same thing that I use to practice with. I am looking to get 5, eventually 10, total (money comes into play here), and I was planning to get all 175g.

Inside of 60' my putting stroke is the same, I just add power and some height for distance. For reference, I'd say I'm between a 3 and a 4 on your putting scale (in the Par on Holes thread). The numbers show that I'm a decent putter, and I feel really comfortable with my putter, but would I be able to extend my range with a lighter weight? Should I think of getting one or two additional putters in the 165g area for longer putts? Or should I strive for consistency with similar weights?

Thanks, Blake.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 09, 2006 9:06 pm

sleepy wrote:1) Do you think the type of plastic the wizard is in makes that big of a difference? (Example) will a medium wizard in E plastic be that much better than an S soft wizard for driving/approaching/putting?

yes, it does matter. the E ones are crap compared to S. the majority of e/h wizards over time (more than 90% of them) have been poppy top and super domey and a lot more squirrely and more low speed overstable.

i haven't thrown a ton of the newer wizards but i know they are still super stable in s (with the exception of the supersoft).

2) Is the KC Aviar different enough from the wizard to warrant trying it out; or should I just give the wizard more time and try it in different weights/plastics?

the kc aviar allows for about 5 degrees of nose angle play in both directions, whereas the wizard does not.

no, it's not different enough. if you can't make a wizard fly well, it's you and not the disc :P
Blake_T

Postby sleepy » Tue May 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll add a few more wizards to the arsenal and see which ones work best for me on drives/approaches/putts.

Blake_T wrote:if you can't make a wizard fly well, it's you and not the disc :P

Yep, I know it's the Indian, not the arrow. I should've clarified that question about the KC Aviar. It's not that I don't like the Wizard, or can't make it fly well and am looking for a replacement. I guess I was just curious as to what the real differences between the two were since they're listed as identical on Joe's Flight Chart. If it's only 5 degrees of nose angle, I'll stick with the wizards. :)

One last thing...you say above that you use a 165g for putts. I'm assuming a wizard, but what kind specifcally?

sleepy

sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 pm

well, the kc aviar would technically be like -0.15 and +2 whereas the wizard will be like 0 and +2.2

basically, they are close enough to where the difference is minimal

the wizard is more stable and longer.
Blake_T

wow

Postby soaresjo » Wed May 10, 2006 2:21 am

wow so much good info thanks a ton everybody. going to be picking up a couple wizards now.
soaresjo
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment