filling out my bag with an order (help)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 12, 2006 10:14 pm

discs in a similar class that have been released since the firebird in early 2000:

2000 - x/z xtra
2001 - x/z xtreme, x/z reaper
2002 - z talon, speed demon
2003 - z predator, champ monster, spirit
2004 - tsunami
2005 - flick, venom
2006 - teerex

i'll leave it up to you if you believe they have had technological advances since 2000.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

thanks

Postby soaresjo » Sat May 13, 2006 2:04 am

point well taken.
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 13, 2006 3:13 am

btw, if you want straight to hard left you are looking at a different breed of disc than a pure hard left.

if you want the pure hard left, my money is on the z pred.

the tsunami and z avenger will fly like a straighter version of the z pred as both of them are based upon the pred rim.
Blake_T

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat May 13, 2006 6:57 am

I would drop the shark and go with the Goblin.

This is what I am using:

175 DX Aviar
175 DX Goblin
178 DX Roc

(4) old Pro Cyclones from 168 to 175 (understable to overstable)

175 DX Teebird/Eagle (still have not decided)

168 Surge

I still need a headwind driver.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 13, 2006 11:49 am

i would be wary as fad midranges don't tend to stick around very long.

back in 2000 everyone treated the mrv and spider like the best things since canned tuna and for a while, gravitated towards smaller diameter mids (i was told there was similar hype about the wolf cira 97).

here were are, 6 years later and the mrv is discontinued and the only people i see throwing spiders are rec players that don't throw midranges well or can't putt with a true putter.

last year when the coyote came out i knew a few sponsored players that said "wow, this thing is sweet, it may replace my rocs."

they haven't thrown coyotes in about 6 months.

stability dominates all and true stable discs are the only ones that really stick around in the long run.

the gremlin is another victim of this.

the buzzz is really the anomaly in that the wasp is more stable but both happened to appear in an era where very few people are willing to break in discs. however, most serious buzzz throwers crave the more/most stable versions.

i believe that if the z buzzz would have been limited release (like champ rocs) that the disc likely never would have caught on.

the nice thing about discs like rocs are that when they become straight flyers, they are in the longest part of their lifespan whereas anything that flies well new will inherently have a short lifespan in that characteristic.
Blake_T

Postby Aaron_D » Sat May 13, 2006 12:18 pm

all that champ plastic will mess you up man! im telling you...if i had known what i know now i would have just bought a 168 dx teebird (or similar weight d cyclone) a 172 dx roc and a 168-170 s med wizard and maybe a versatile wind disc like a tsunami / pred / crush--but mostly i would say just get the dx teebird / dx roc / s wizard and learn to throw all the "normal" shots (hyzer flips / low straight bullets...etc.with the teebird) If you cant throw a teebird 325' you need to work on technique before you move on to valks/beasts/wraiths. get rid of the champ stuff!!! I taught my friends girlfriend to throw the teebird 300' in like 3 rounds. I can throw my wizard 300' easily and my teebird 325' without a runup and i would never be able to do that if i learned on champ plastic. if you learn on champ plastic you will flip everything dx and never learn finesse. just my opinion.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

nice

Postby soaresjo » Sat May 13, 2006 12:58 pm

good advice
I am thinking about picking up a star TL
can somebody please describe the differences in hard/softness of the different wizards. It seems to me like the supersoft is well liked but so is the S Med. Can anybody better explain the different characteristics?

-john
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 13, 2006 1:51 pm

the supersoft is the only wizard that ever gets flippy.

the current mediums are harder than the original firms (and the current firms are like porcelein). i was a huge fan of the old firms and now i use softs or mediums from the newer wizards.

lots of people like supersofts but lots of people suck at putting too.
Blake_T

Re: nice

Postby presidio hills » Sat May 13, 2006 3:00 pm

soaresjo wrote:can somebody please describe the differences in hard/softness of the different wizards. It seems to me like the supersoft is well liked but so is the S Med. Can anybody better explain the different characteristics?

i would say the softs are about as stiff as a D challenger (pretty darn stiff, really). i think they are just right, personally. the mediums are a tad stiffer and i have no problem throwing both. i haven't thrown the firms...
if you get the wizard special from the gateway website you'll probably get a few different types and you can see for yourself which you like best. i ended up getting soft and medium S wizards, 1 glow, and an E plastic one. 35 bucks and you'll know first hand and have 5 wizzes to check out.
i ain't the best player in the world, but i definitely don't suck at putting :twisted:
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Aaron_D » Sat May 13, 2006 7:34 pm

how do you tell what plastic (S or E) your wizards are? i did the deal too but dont know which is which.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 13, 2006 8:25 pm

e is like opaque champion.

s is like a better dx.
Blake_T

thanks

Postby soaresjo » Sat May 13, 2006 9:17 pm

just wanted to say thanks for all the help. The order has been placed and I decided on:
avenger x
cyclone d
buzzz z
2 wizards, 1 soft and 1 supersoft.

Cant wait to try them out!
I hope I made good purchases and with your help I am sure I didnt go too wrong.
Now I just need to get better!

-john

p.s. I played 3 rounds of disc golf today yay!
soaresjo
Noob

Blake

Postby Denver Discer » Sun May 14, 2006 9:31 am

What do you think about the new S-plastic for the wizards (since we were talking about wizards) I am not really a big fan. It's a little slippery and just doesn't feel right.

PEace
Scott
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 14, 2006 9:34 am

agreed, but i'm not sure if that's due to atmospheric conditions or the plastic itself.

discraft's d plastic has been slippery as of late as well, and so has a few blends of innova plastic.
Blake_T

wizard

Postby soaresjo » Sun May 14, 2006 11:00 am

I ordered a "Gateway "S" Wizard - SOFT".
do you think I will be unhappy with this plastic? I am probably going to take blake's advice and order more of the discs I really like. Maybe I would try the supersoft and medium?

Also, I played 3 rounds yesterday and my best score was the round I didnt bring my shark. R.I.P. :cry:

-john
soaresjo
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment