approach disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

approach disc

Postby monter_masher » Sat May 13, 2006 7:47 am

Hey everyone, im looking to add an approach disc to my bag but I dont really know what I want. The only thing that I was thinking of is something soft so when I make an approach shot that it just flops on the ground and stays there.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby jase » Sat May 13, 2006 9:57 am

Rocs are great approach discs. The Roc was the first disc I got and I still have it and use it almost every other shot. It's amazing how straight they will go for me. If it wasn't for my roc. I wouldn't have all the double eagles I have gotten.
jase
Noob

Re: approach disc

Postby presidio hills » Sat May 13, 2006 11:00 am

monter_masher wrote:Hey everyone, im looking to add an approach disc to my bag but I dont really know what I want. The only thing that I was thinking of is something soft so when I make an approach shot that it just flops on the ground and stays there.

in my opinion a midrange like a roc and a putter are all that is needed as 'approach discs'. there are discs that do fit inbetween... but i'd rather throw fewer molds, personally, and leave it up to ME to make the shot, not the disc. what you described might be those ching Jujus, classic rocs, XDs, aeros...
if you want a soft putter for approaches i'd recommend a soft magnet, omega super soft, or a super soft wizard...
the new dx goblin has some pretty soft plastic and is one of the slower floatier midranges. it may be exactly what you're looking for.
don't feel like you need to buy/try them all and find the best one either... there's a lot of discs in the midrange-->putter area and it's best to just pick a mold or 2 and stick with 'em rather than having 5 molds like a wizard, XD, goblin, buzzz, and wasp (they're all slightly different but it'd be too confusing to pick everytime).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Kingbee » Mon May 15, 2006 7:23 am

I love my Buzzz.
Kingbee
Noob

Postby Weebl » Mon May 15, 2006 7:41 am

2 discs that will flop and stay are the Aerobie Arrow, and DGA BlowFly/Blowfly2
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 15, 2006 8:28 am

Weebl wrote:2 discs that will flop and stay are the Aerobie Arrow, and DGA BlowFly/Blowfly2

The arrow is a great approach disc where you cannot afford a roll, if you try to roll it it wont get very far. Try to find a purple one instead of red. The purple ones are the best (not because flight, they just look so much cooler)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

pro rhyno

Postby twmccoy » Mon May 15, 2006 12:56 pm

You might try a pro rhyno. Very straight and it stops dead where it lands. It is also rubbery and makes a great putter, but can be used from 300' in.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Glock23 » Mon May 15, 2006 1:15 pm

I really like the CE Coyote. It is very straight for approach shots and has great control. The lip feels very nice as well.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 15, 2006 2:02 pm

I use a z buzz for an approach disc; it is dead straight but will roll at times. For more stability, I step up to a z wasp.

If I want absolutely no roll, I go with a wizard. I would imagine putters are what you want for no roll. If I can't reach it with my putter, I go to a buzz.

Also, many people use a roc for this shot, but you will have to beat it up to get it to fly straight.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 15, 2006 2:15 pm

I use a z buzz for an approach disc; it is dead straight but will roll at times. For more stability, I step up to a z wasp.

If I want absolutely no roll, I go with a wizard. I would imagine putters are what you want for no roll. If I can't reach it with my putter, I go to a buzz.

Also, many people use a roc for this shot, but you will have to beat it up to get it to fly straight.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Buzzz for me

Postby Footwork » Mon May 15, 2006 2:41 pm

I have had more consistency with a Buzz then a roc (much more) but thats just me. IMO the Buzz absorbs misthrows where a roc would emphasize them.
Footwork
Noob

Postby adidadg » Mon May 15, 2006 2:42 pm

If you want something kind of between a putter and a midrange, go with the Classic Roc. It is super straight from start to finish without being flippy, and it tends to land fairly flat so it rarely gets much skip or roll.

lately ive been toying around with a 175 omega supersoft and have been pleasantly suprised. It has a very true flight and just stops dead when it hits the ground. I also find the grip to be very comfortable for both putting and driving.
adidadg

Re: Buzzz for me

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 15, 2006 3:10 pm

Footwork wrote:I have had more consistency with a Buzz then a roc (much more) but thats just me. IMO the Buzz absorbs misthrows where a roc would emphasize them.

Im not sure If I agree, I was a buzzz guy longer than a roc guy, but now im an element x guy (more similalr to a roc than a buzzz).
I liked the buzzz it was better new, and required less power to throw, but a broken in roc is much less sensitive to nose angle issues than a buzzz. The reason I liked buzzz's more was I didnt have the money to buy a group of rocs and replace them due to loss or states of wear. If I were to change mids again, I would go back to a roc.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 15, 2006 6:34 pm

midranges never really make excellent approach discs as they glide too much and aren't ideal for getting up and down.

an approach that "stops dead" is more of a type of throw than a disc. a steep angle hyzer that bounces or digs in rather than skip/slide is one and another would be a stall shot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Mon May 15, 2006 11:27 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:The arrow is a great approach disc where you cannot afford a roll, if you try to roll it it wont get very far. Try to find a purple one instead of red. The purple ones are the best (not because flight, they just look so much cooler)

You're now my favorite poster. I absolutely <3 the purple swirl Arrows. It doesn't ever roll if going for the upshot... but when you want it to, try 2 finger rolling an Arrow and it is the straightest control roller <300'. People laugh when I use the Arrow, saying it looks like a cupcake more than a disc. They stop laughing though when they see me do a scoop upshot or a 2 finger roller with the Arrow getting out of schule they have nightmares about.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment