good discs for beginning female player

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

good discs for beginning female player

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Hi. i have recently been getting my fiance out on to the course,trying to make sure she won't be a disc golf widow :D, and just letting here use my discs. i think she would enjoy it more if she had some stuff she could through better and was 'hers'. she was using mainly a 166 champion shark and a 150 aviar. i'm think probably some lighter weight stuff, with a relatively stable flight path. she was probably maxing out around 150' (she's a small girl 5' and 105lbs) so i don't think a distance driver is going to do much. any suggestions on what would work best for her? thanks a lot guys, and just know that you could be adding to my quality of life by helping me out :P
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Jobuu » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:36 pm

I recommend either a DX Stingray in 150 class or a Champion dyed one.

DX for light weight
Champ for the dye

the 150 class will get a little more distance out of it but the dyed one might lure her into playing if it looks cool

you could always get a pink or purple DX one

sharks are good in 150 class too

i wouldnt go with a light weight putter since the wind can really push them out of the way
Favorite current discs
Champion Beast
DX Roc
Z Breeze
Jobuu
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:54 pm

imo, the elite x comet is one of the best low-powered discs out there. the millennium aurora ms and innova dx panther are also great discs to start with imo. if you can try to find these in lighter weights, ~162 or below, they should be sufficient. all of these discs have tremendous glide with minimal fade.

from my experiences teaching female players, some of them with smaller hands struggle with deeper rimmed putters, so an innova XD or dx classic roc may be a good choice for those.

if you have trouble finding the midrange discs above in lighter weights, the lightning #3 driver or #2 and #3 flyers are also quite easy to throw and are usually availble down to about 130g.

hope this could help
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:33 pm

Jobuu wrote:I recommend either a DX Stingray in 150 class or a Champion dyed one.

DX for light weight
Champ for the dye

the 150 class will get a little more distance out of it but the dyed one might lure her into playing if it looks cool

you could always get a pink or purple DX one

sharks are good in 150 class too

i wouldnt go with a light weight putter since the wind can really push them out of the way

awesome, thanks for the help guys, i'm gonna try to pick some of these up.... and about the dye, she took my champion shark, which is dyed and wouldn't let me use it the whole round, because she liked the dye... i'll have to keep that in mind
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:00 pm

My gf was using a light stingray, but she started flipping it. The polaris and cyclones are both good for starters.

She's been throwing a light buzz that she really likes; she throws it better than I ever did.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jiwaburst » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 am

I know that this is a dead thread, but it's an appropriate place to post this, and if someone else reads through, maybe it will help.

I have been going out to the course with my wife lately, and trying to put the right discs in her hands. It is an incredible joy to watch her really throw a disc well and learn how to repeat it more often.

Her biggest obstacle is distance of course, even though she can throw a good approach and putt, there are so many people throwing far and she will get quite upset if she can't get some decent D.

She now throws a 140 DX Valk quite well, though it took some technique work and many encouraging words to get this right. She also has a 150 Champ Teebird that an angel gave her in Berkeley last month, as we were playing in severe squalls. She throws this well, but still struggles with it backhand. For sidearm though, it is the perfect disc for her, took her all of 15 minutes to get it right, which I think is all about the rim and grip.

She throws a beat 150 DX shark perfectly straight, though I worry that she gets to seduced by how easy it is for her to keep it level and sometimes uses it to sail way past the hole or from the tee where its pretty line disguises the fact that other discs are giving her more D and coming back to the correct line anyways.

The 148 Champ Eagle we have is too tricky for her at this time.

She also throws a 178 Champ Aero which I find useless, but she can line drive this thing straight due to its understability, and its weight makes it much better midrange for her than a 150.

Tried giving her a 166 Archangel today with mixed results, it should be good to encourage her snap, and was fine for her power, but the nose angles she needed were ellusive. When she saw me use it as a roller though she really got intrigued.

Giving her a putter of her own also helped.

In general, we're finding that having her carry her own discs greatly ups her enthusiasm. She'll take multiple throws to practice things and not feel bashful about asking me for extra discs or to wait for her, she'll just pull another one out and try again. So in our case, having several discs that kind of work is better than just having a couple that she feels she must throw right.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:59 am

Maybe get her an Optimizer (Innova) and have her learn a roller. It's an easy way to get big D without a big arm. Dr. Stancil Johnson (70+ years old i think) I play with him and he can get a CE Valk (150 i think) out to 250, and roll a beat panther for 350 and he doesnt have much strength or speed at his age. Also, maybe try out a 150 Leopard or Cheetah, if you have the option get DX over champ, it's less nose angle dependant.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am

My gf liked her polaris so much, that she wanted to go in a lake when it was in the 60's after it.

Her set up right now is: slipstream gt, tracker, cyclone all in x plastic. I don't like her putter: z putt'r which is crap in the wind. She has a light z buzz too.

I may give her my new roc to see if she can beat it up some.

She definately enjoys having her own discs rather than throwing mine. I'm not sure if she qualifies as a beginner any more after 8 months.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geographyhorse » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 pm

I've taken my gf out a few times. She seems to throw the Innova Leopard quite a bit (150 class). Sometimes she will throw a Shark..... She usually putts with her Leopard. She has an Aviar and a Pro Birdie, but she never uses them. I've bought her more discs, but she seems to just stick with the Leopard. Probably not a bad idea in the long run..... atleast, she's comforable with it and will learn it really well.
geographyhorse
Noob

Postby adamschneider » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:13 pm

I second the 150g Leopard. It's easy enough for beginners but still a useful disc to have in your bag once you've moved up to faster drivers. (I use mine for very narrow alleys of trees.)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Return to Equipment