What Putter?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What Putter?

Postby Rob » Mon May 15, 2006 11:36 pm

I have a Soft Challenger, an Aviar, and a Soft Wizard.... I use all of these when i practice putts and dont see much of a difference... I use the aviar when i play on the course mainly because it is beat in and played a lot of rounds with it.. But a month or so back when i first got the Challenger i started using that and was really liking it.. after a a couple weeks I had a couple off days and swtiched back to the aviar.. and i just got in the wizard a few days ago so im not sure what to do because i really want to choose one putter as my go to putter so i can get multiples of that one for better practice... Any tips on what i should do? and how did u pick the putter you use?
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 16, 2006 12:34 am

i basically picked the putters with the best objective characteristics and then forced myself to putt with it.

if you develop a good stroke you'll find that the actual putter matters very little on putts inside 25' and so it becomes a matter of hitting consistent from 30' and how they handle in the wind.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Tue May 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Blake_T wrote:i basically picked the putters with the best objective characteristics and then forced myself to putt with it.

if you develop a good stroke you'll find that the actual putter matters very little on putts inside 25' and so it becomes a matter of hitting consistent from 30' and how they handle in the wind.

I am doing this exact thing right now. I have a mish-mash of borrowed putters (aviar p&a, pro rhyno, jk aviar x, soft magnet, wizard) and they all fly more or less the same from 30' and in...provided you putt them all with a smooth stroke and flat release. :wink:

From this group, I liked the aviar P&A and the wizard the best. I went with the Wizard as my main putter because of the different firmnesses it is available in, it seems to be a bit better in the wind, and because it starts out almost overstable, so I can beat it in for a while before it becomes understable/flippy; whereas the aviar P&A starts out stable and gets flippy fairly quickly.

As an aside...if you're at all interested in the wizard, I highly recommend getting the 5 practice wizards for $35 from Gateway. They let me specify the weight and firmness for each one I ordered...two thumbs up!

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 16, 2006 8:45 pm

good choice ;-) that and you can throw them 250 for drives without worrying about flipping it (again w/ smooth form)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Rob » Sat May 20, 2006 10:56 pm

I found exactly what i was looking for in the Wizard. After using it for the past week i am making some really long putts. My first day out with it i hit two or three long birdies and thought i might be just on that day. But ive used it in about 5 rounds now and still hitting long putts. My problem was that outside of 25-30ft i wasnt confident at all with my putter and was throwing my roc or buzz for the basket and using them as my putter. But now i go to the wizard farther out than i ever thought i would. It just feels so good coming out of my hand. Even on the misses it never goes far from the basket like my mids were doing to me.

Thanks for the info sleepy. I ordered the deal from gateway. 3 softs, 1 SS, and 1 medium... ahh cant wait for those bad boys to come :)
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun May 21, 2006 5:25 am

Wait til you start reaching for them on everything 250 and in. Then you will see the true beauty of the wizard. Awesome disc. :D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby OldTyme » Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 pm

Yeah. The Wizard is a great disc......I have 10 of 'em.
I knew I liked them so I bought a lot in the same weight & plastic.
9 for the practice basket & one for playing at the course.

Lately though I've had a lot of bounce outs. Not sure weather too blame the basket, the putter or the puttee, but it got to the point where I decided too try another, softer putter from 50' & in.

I thought about another Omega SS, but the two they had locally didn't feel as squishy as I remembered them.
So I went with a Pro Rhyno. I've heard good things & the plastic had the right squishiness I was looking for.
Good news is I came home & the very first putt I threw (25') went in. That's a good first flight.

I'll still use my Wizard for midrange purposes as always, but for now I want a soft sticky putter when close.

(p.s. I just switched today,....haven't gotten too actually use the Rhyno in a round)
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 22, 2006 1:32 pm

how firm are your wizards?
the softs and supersofts (especially the older runs) can get pretty soft if you flex them up and down around the rim. They dont ever get as soft as that pro rhyno, but they are plenty soft...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:20 pm

For driving, are S or E Wizards better? I think I remember reading at one point that E Wizards didn't have as much glide, etc. but I couldn't find it when I searched. Thanks.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Wed May 24, 2006 1:39 am

bigs348 wrote:For driving, are S or E Wizards better? I think I remember reading at one point that E Wizards didn't have as much glide, etc. but I couldn't find it when I searched. Thanks.

Es have a little more turn and a little more fade... i think they have just as much glide, though, but maybe i'm wrong. they feel just as good as CE plastic, and way better than champ aviars... then again, i still like the S better (it's stiffer).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 am

the S are a ton straighter, and longer on a straight path.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby OldTyme » Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm

All my Wizards are S. I do have a SS but it feels no different than my S.

I was really having good luck with the Rhyno that first round. I think I'll be keepin' it for a while.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed May 24, 2006 12:39 pm

I swithced from pro rhynos to wizard S.

Much happier with the wizard since I can do more than just put with it and they are half the cost...

And half the cost... is good.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Return to Equipment