whats in my bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

whats in my bag

Postby spitfire » Wed May 17, 2006 7:36 pm

ok so i would like to see what you think of my bag so far. i am going to weed some things out as i progress but i have to admit that i am a disc junkie. i have been playing for about 3 months and drive on average 250-280 with some drives over 300

drivers
champ valk 172 throw a lot
champ beast 172 throw a lot
star wraith 171 throw sometimes
pro starfire 172 hardly throw(i need to throw it more to see how i feel about it
pro teebird l 174 hardly throw-use mostly for turnover shots
i throw almost all my disc in s curves unless otherwise needed.

mid range
wolf 177 use as turnover shots and rollers
leopard 149 just put back into back and haven't used it in a while
comet 170-172 use often, my straight flyer
champion classic roc 170 use sometimes when i need some fade at the end. have been thinking of making this my putter

putters
aviar p&a 148 use this when i 1st started and could put well with it
soft magnet 170-172 then witched to this and can putt ok with this

for my putters i have been thinking of trying the classic roc to see what happens. if nothing great happens i an just going to pick one then stick with it and practice.

own but not in the bag anymore
archangel 150
dragon 150
birdie 174

i plan on buying the wraith, beast in dx plastic very soon in a weight range of 165-170 for the open shots and use my champion/star plastics for the wooded holes.

i also want to purchase a good overhand disc which i was thinking maybe a firebird or a monster. what would you recomend. right now i use the wolf for short overhands.

also out of my disc what would be the best long distance roller? the valk?

so let me know what you think of my bag. what should stay whats should go or if any 2 disc basically do the same thing. for me that would be the valk and the beast right now so i am thinking of getting rid of one of them. or should u use the valk as my long distance roller.

sorry for the long post. :oops:
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 17, 2006 9:02 pm

my honest opinion is that at 250-280' of average D to pare back to some older school drivers until you can comfortably break 300' with them as well as getting out of the "S curve for everything" mentality.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby spitfire » Thu May 18, 2006 5:16 am

finline,
i know there has been a lot of debate recently about re-asking the same questions. i felt this questions was not like those as its something specific to my bag. not just a certain disc. when i first discovered this site i read every post. and i always use the search function before posting. i could understand if i posted which is better valk or beast. but if you feel this is just a "oh man some idiot is asking all the same questions asked before" then feel free to delete the post.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:02 am

Blake is right. I started out with those superfast new drivers, and 2 years later im finaly seeing how great cyclones, Gazelles, and DX Teebirds are. Those Fancy new drivers can help you get some extra distance for now, but the truth is, you dont have the proper power for the disc. theres nothing wrng with that, niether do i. I love my DX Gazelle, and i definately recomend trying it. Its slower, but after using it for only a few days its amazing what the disc can do. Id say give yourself a chance to learn those types of discs, and once you break 400 maybe you can take the beast wraith and starfire back out. :P

and i dont think there is anything wrong with your post, dont worry about it. the information you have been given so far IS here on the website, but im sure it will go beyond that once different posters come in here to help.

also, there are a few discs you say you dont use much. take those discs out and see how much you really need them after playing a few rounds. having too many discs confuses me a lot during a round. im currently using only 6 discs, and my scores are getting lower. not because less is better, but because ive given my self a chance to learn my discs. I Only have 4 drivers, one mid, and one putter. I do plan on filling out my bag, but for now, this is helping me learn how to really use the key discs in my bag. youve got nothing to lose.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Thu May 18, 2006 6:16 am

Blake_T wrote:my honest opinion is that at 250-280' of average D to pare back to some older school drivers until you can comfortably break 300' with them as well as getting out of the "S curve for everything" mentality.

Check out this article on the site:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... disc.shtml

choose discs from Tier 2 and learn to throw them with a hyzer so they flip up to flat and fly straight. Once you're able to consistantly break 300' with them and get a consistant, straight flight out of them move up to the drivers you have now and try to get the same flight path out of them.

Don't neglect the midranges and putters, either. Make sure you're able to throw them far with a power grip as well.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby spitfire » Thu May 18, 2006 6:25 am

i do have the arch and cannot throw it at all. as soon as i let it go it flips right over then turns into a roller. i can throw my beast/valk very straigh and acurate. i use the valk for straight shots and the beast for turnovers/straight. i also have the leopard but i think i am going to kick down the teebird l to mid range and replace the leopard with the teebird l and i use that for straight and turnovers as well.

maybe i will pick up a roadrunner and see how i like that. thanks for all the replies
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby spitfire » Thu May 18, 2006 6:26 am

also the distance that i gave for my drives is just estimates. i have not acutally gone out and measured my drives yet. i will do that this weekend and let you know they are.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Woodchuck » Thu May 18, 2006 6:44 am

The leopard and Teebird are drivers, a good mid range disc is going to be a Roc, Shark, Buzzz, Wasp, Element , Element-X , etc.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby jHarr » Thu May 18, 2006 8:51 am

wasn't tryin to flame ya on that one- I'm still new 'round these parts so thought I'd link to some related threads...
the :rolleyes: was aimed at myself I guess...
sorry if my late night bleary eyed links seemed like a d!ck answer
jHarr
Noob

Postby garublador » Thu May 18, 2006 9:00 am

spitfire wrote:i do have the arch and cannot throw it at all. as soon as i let it go it flips right over then turns into a roller. i can throw my beast/valk very straigh and acurate. i use the valk for straight shots and the beast for turnovers/straight. i also have the leopard but i think i am going to kick down the teebird l to mid range and replace the leopard with the teebird l and i use that for straight and turnovers as well.

maybe i will pick up a roadrunner and see how i like that. thanks for all the replies

I may be off, but it sounds like you could be blaming the discs for flaws in your technique. If you were throwing 50' further, then I'd probably agree with what you're saying, but in my experience, Archangles and Leopards, even when somewhat beat, will hold a line out to 300' pretty well. Discs like the Valk and Beast act overstable when thrown under 300'. If the discs aren't acting like that for you, it may be worth re-evaluating your technique and working to get them to fly like that.

Blake also has a "Training Assignment" that may help out a lot:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=595
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 am

I agree with garublador. One of the tenets of Blake's teaching is that if you start off throwing high speed plastic, you learn to throw it by compensating with an anhyzer release or some wrist roll. It may work OK for now, but when you develop some power, everything is going to flip right on you. It's best to learn good form right away. I know from the experience of having bad form for years...it's very difficult to re-learn everything.
The leopard, teebird, and Valk should be good discs for you now. Learn to throw them with a clean release and no flutter. When you are cranking them out to 325', bring your beast, wraith, and starfire out of storage. Unless that T-bird is severly beat to hell you shouldn't be flipping it over with a normal throw.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby spitfire » Thu May 18, 2006 5:08 pm

thanks for all the replies. i am going to a field tomorrow with my practice basket as well as a friends and we are going to lay them out 300 ft apart and throw our disc so we can measure our distance. i will report back and let you know what did what for further evaluation.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Thu May 18, 2006 11:20 pm

My new DX Teebird is stable as HELL. Cranking it hard as i can, slight hyzer (almost flat) and it turns over for 80% of it's flight with a gentle fade (never veering more than 5' to the right. I threw this thing with a R-L crosswind the other day and i now know that I will never throw any other disc for distance annies. With the straight crosswind I was able to crank it to 440 with only 30' of height and about 20 degrees of annie at it's apex as opposed to ~410(370-420 depending on how my timing is). I can't wait to mess around with a true distance annie line and getting it down pat...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 19, 2006 12:34 am

the archangel is one of the most high speed understable/unpredictable drivers ever released, so i would not use that as your measure of discs in certain tiers.

i've had a few huge drives with arch's, but also had about 50 more terrible drives for every huge drive before i finally banished it from my bag. when my friend asked me why i didn't have it with me, my response was "because i'll be tempted to throw it."

while the beast and valk may be controllable at your power level, those are not discs that will really allow you to learn subtle line manipulation and flight shaping nearly as well as a slower dx driver. if anyone wants proof of that go up to the average am player that started since 2002 and see if they have ever consciously thrown shots with a wrist roll over/under in order to get changes in flight behavior. chances are the answer is no.

as for the starfire and wraith, i do not condone these discs for players that cannot already throw 340' or more with a tier 3 or lower driver. while the increase in D may be there, the consistency and accuracy will not. also, most players that throw tier 3 or lower drivers 340' already have line shaping skills.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Next

Return to Equipment