whats in my bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby spitfire » Fri May 19, 2006 4:32 am

i am pretty good at being able to put the disc in the area that i want it but i understand what you are saying about shaping a better line. i am going to pick up a road runner and throw my leopard and see what happens. as i said before i am not sure on my exact distance and i guess i should have been before giving a range. i also said i throw almost everything in an s curve. while that is truw but its mostly because i need to on my home course. i also release the disc in a slight hyzer angle and it turns up flat and flies straight with some fade at the end. this works best with my beast and valk. also are you saying to ditch the arch? because i am more than happy to do so.

once again i appretiate all the help with this
-jason
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 19, 2006 7:32 am

if you are getting a roadrunner with an intent on it going straight, that is the wrong disc. there's about 25 other threads where i have said that.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:27 am

I can't reiterate Blake's advice on not buying out of the box understable plastic enough. The following discs are at the bottom of my closet because I ignored this advice for a long time: 2 x star sidewinder, 2 x champ sidewinder, 3 x champ roadrunner, 4 x x xpress. Out of the box, they were great. Once I used them a little, they became unpredictable, flippy, and quite useless to me. The money I spent on those 11 discs could have been much better spent on about 20 dx valks and teebirds which, if used in rotation, would last me the next several years and make a nice field practice set. BTW I just learned to throw a slightly beat dx teebird on a high, nose down anny (a little wrist roll used here) and this thing goes out high, turns right at its apex, and finishes in an impossibly long, straight glide...What an incredibly useful and cool shot!!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby jiwaburst » Fri May 19, 2006 11:01 am

BTW I just learned to throw a slightly beat dx teebird on a high, nose down anny (a little wrist roll used here) and this thing goes out high, turns right at its apex, and finishes in an impossibly long, straight glide...What an incredibly useful and cool shot!!

Yeah, I have been using that shot with a beat DX and with a Star for slightly different lines but the same muscle memory. I fell so much in love with it that I lagged behind for awhile in my low straight shot development. It's a shot that allows me to use more of the Ultimate technique I brought to DG.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby spitfire » Fri May 19, 2006 1:27 pm

blake,
you said to try disc that was in the tier 2 and the roadrunner is so that is why i am trying it. i was just taking your advice. i never asked about it being a straight fyler so not sure why you would refer to "the other 25 threads where you have said that as if i was asking a question that has been asked 25 times already." i was just trying to take your advice and go back to throwing tier 2 disc. :?
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 19, 2006 2:42 pm

a roadrunner is a tier 2 driver but not a stable tier 2 driver.

if you consult the flight chart i did for GGGT you can take a look at discs in the power requirement 3-4 range for drivers.

as for the 25 other threads, i meant on the discussion of slow vs. fast drivers, most of which include the roadrunner as part of their discussion. it's been one of the major topics over the past 2 months and there's been enough time for many players to give their feedback on it as well. you would also note in those threads i do not condone using champ/z plastic unless it's an overstable driver.

a disc like a dx gazelle or d cyclone are closer to the bill i was talking about.
Blake_T

Postby jdmjrm01 » Sat May 20, 2006 7:08 am

I know its not listed in any of the teirs but how would a goblin dx workout in what hes looking for?
jdmjrm01
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 20, 2006 8:36 am

the goblin is a better disc than a wolf or comet, but not as good of a disc as a roc, buzz, wasp, etc.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 20, 2006 10:11 am

blake: you find the goblin to be a better disc than a comet? Im assuming youre referring to a x comet because they are the ones in production. Are you referring to youre tier system or just over all? and where would the Z comet compare?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby spitfire » Sun May 21, 2006 4:52 pm

the comet i have is in z plastic.

i am having a hard time deciding between the gazelle or the cyclone so i think i might pick up one of each and see what i think. also i am looking at my mid range and thinking of replacing my wolf and campion classic roc with either dx rocs or d buzz. which would you recomend. i will beat one in for the turnover shots and keep one new for straight shots. does this sound like a good plan?

thanks for being patient with me
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 22, 2006 1:27 pm

if you want to carry only one mold a beat roc, seasoned roc, and a new roc should cover it all. a new d buzzz and a worn d buzzz is similar to the seasoned and beat roc, but dosnt cover the more stable shots you may want a new buzzz for.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Woodchuck » Mon May 22, 2006 1:56 pm

Wouldn't a Z Buzzz take care of his stable shots, and then 2 D Buzzz's

Thatdirtykid wrote:if you want to carry only one mold a beat roc, seasoned roc, and a new roc should cover it all. a new d buzzz and a worn d buzzz is similar to the seasoned and beat roc, but dosnt cover the more stable shots you may want a new buzzz for.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby spitfire » Mon May 22, 2006 6:36 pm

i'm sure this has been covered before but what is the best way to break in a disc? just wack it against a tree a couple times or smack it into the ground?
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 22, 2006 7:16 pm

practice! (seriously)
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby sleepy » Mon May 22, 2006 9:05 pm

spitfire wrote:i'm sure this has been covered before but what is the best way to break in a disc? just wack it against a tree a couple times or smack it into the ground?

I know Blake has cautioned against trying to beat in a disc in unnatural ways...slamming it into the ground, beating w/ a hammer can cause unpredictable and undesired results when the disc is thrown.

Just play some one-disc rounds with it. Not only will it help break the disc in, but it will teach you some valuable lessons about your form, strategy and course management. :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment