whats in my bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:30 pm

One disc rounds. One disc rounds using only flick rollers. Spike hyzer practice. Buy them from the pond rats (just picked up a beat to heck flat topped dx teebird that is really long and straight along with a beat glow roc that is incredibly straight and a slightly beat, but overstable KC Pro teebird - all for $12 total.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby spitfire » Fri May 26, 2006 4:49 am

so here are the disc i picked up. let me know what you think.
pro d cyclone
3 rocs(i am going to take out all my other mid range disc and replace them with these)
banger gt(love this putter going to get another dedicated to approach shots)
dx teebird
dx valk
dx beast

i only use the beast right now for a water where i needc the extra distance. i picked up the valk for when i progress in distance.

so know my bag contains
dx teebird168
dx beast 169
pro tl 174- used mostly for thumbers and turnovers
cyclone 173-174
pro starfire 172-
3 dx rocs- want to break them into dif levels
magnet 170-172 using for approach right now but am going to replace it with another banger gt
banger gt for putter

so how does this sound. anything i should take out or add?blake i know you say not to throw the beast right now and i only use it on 1 hole for that little extra distance. i am going to play some 2 disc rounds with just a driver,putter so i can learn each disc better. and i plan on playing a round with just my putter to help with my driving distance. would it be ok to throw the banger gt or should or should i throw the magnet for that?

thanks for being patient and sharing your knowledge
-jason
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 7:51 am

an overstable disc would be good, either very overstable, firebird, banshee, talon pred or mabey something like a Z avenger, Crush or Starfire X would be enough to cut through winds for your armspeed.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 7:55 am

the banger gt is a much better approach disc and driver than the magnet in terms of stability.

your drivers still have a lot of overlap and is missing a headwind driver.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Fri May 26, 2006 9:41 am

spitfire wrote:3 rocs(i am going to take out all my other mid range disc and replace them with these)

Are all the rocs brand new? If so, they're all going to be pretty stable/over stable until you have a chance to break them in. You might want to keep the Comet and Wolf in your bag, and introduce the Rocs into your bag one at a time.

That way you can use that Roc as an overstable mid while it's new. Once it beats in enough to fly straight, you can then remove the Comet, and introduce a new Roc to be your overstable mid. Then after a while, when the straight Roc becomes flippy you can then remove the Wolf and introduce the last new Roc into your bag to be overstable.

Then you'll have the three Rocs in your bag, and every shot covered. :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby spitfire » Fri May 26, 2006 12:33 pm

sleepy-
i thought the same thing at work today so i took out my other 2 rocs and put the wolf and comet back in.

i was thinking something overstable today as well. i was going to pick up a reaper today but wanted to wait until i read this post first. i will pick up one of them tomorrow. will that work for a headwind driver as well? i did pick up another banger gt one for approach and one for putting

with the disc i have now how would you fill my bag out?
thanks
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Glad to see we're thinking along the same lines regarding the Rocs/Comet/Wolf. :)

I too thought about the Reaper as an overstable disc. I'm borrowing a Z Reaper from a friend just to try it out, but I don't think I'll keep it. It is fairly beat, but I can easily hyzer-flip it and get some pretty good D out of it, so I'm rather hesitant to throw it into a strong headwind; which is why I'd be carrying it in the first place.

Blake recommended the Predator instead, saying that the Pred is just a better disc overall. I'll let him explain the specifics, (since I'm sure he can do a better job than I can) or you can check out the reviews on the main site if you haven't already. He suggested getting a Pred in Z for knife hyzers, skip shots, thumber/tommys and trick shots; and one in X for headwind drives and longer hyzers.

I just recently got an X Pred (still haven't gotten a Z), and I haven't thrown it yet. I'm not sure how far I'll really be able to throw it, but as long as it does it's job and doesn't flip into the wind, I'm willing to sacrifice a little distance. That's really the only time I'll be throwing it anyway...when there's enough of a headwind that accuracy (i.e. not flipping) is more important than distance.

sleepy
Last edited by sleepy on Fri May 26, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 2:14 pm

x preds are my longest disc into a strong wind. theyre aswome, i need some more, I have none left...
Z preds are great for knifes and such.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby spitfire » Fri May 26, 2006 2:30 pm

i usually throw my tl for thumbers and what not. would i get anymore distance with the pred using that for thumbers?

i will pick up a pred x for hyzers and headwinds as that seems to be the only shot i am really missing from my bag right now. one of the courses i play is always windy so i think the pred will come in handy.
thanks for the advice
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 2:31 pm

your distance will probably not be much longer, but youre predictability would be a bit higher.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 4:54 pm

if you had to choose between an x and z preds and buy just 1, i'd go z as it has greater differentiation from your starfire.

if you don't have a super overstable disc for skip shots and hard hyzers, that is the most glaring hole in your bag right now.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby spitfire » Sun May 28, 2006 6:01 am

ok so i went to my local shop and they do not have a preds in right now. so i was checking out the "best of awards" and for best overstable disc it list the
crush
teerex
avenger

so my question is can i just use pick up one of those instead of the pred and get the same results?
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Sun May 28, 2006 6:53 am

According to Joe's Universal Flight Chart, the closest disc to a Pred in that list is actually the TeeRex...being only .5 less High Speed Stable.

That being said, Blake gave the Best Of Award to the Crush for a reason, so you could wait for an 'offical ruling' from him, or just go with the TeeRex if you want to rely on the numbers, since Blake also made the Flight Chart. :)

sleepy

sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby spitfire » Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 am

progress report time

ok so i went to a field today and threw every disc in my bag. i will start with the mids/putters which are 2 rocs i new and one starting to get beat, 2 banger gt, and a wolf

i can throw the rocs the farthest flying about 235 feet +/-
the putters came in around 185-200 feet and the wolf was about the same i threw each disc 4 times

onto the drivers, they are teebird dx, pro tl, dx beast, champ beast, starfire pro, valk dx, leopard dx, cyclone d,

teebird, leopard, tl, cyclone d all went about 250 +/-

the dx beast, champ beast went about 275 +/-

and the valk dx and starfire pro went about 300

i also have a star wraith but forgot it at the house will throw it next time

i also threw some thumbers and they aere going about 200
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby spitfire » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:32 am

come on guys help me out one for time, then i promise no more "whats in my bag" post from me.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment