DX Wraith

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DX Wraith

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu May 18, 2006 7:47 pm

OK, so I bought a DX Wraith. The plastic felt so good, I thought it was worth $9.00.

It appears to break in nicely. In fact it appears to beak in better than Pro (even though I cannot truly say mine is broken in yet). The plastic is very structurally rigid, and the mold appears to be much more true than any other DX I have ever seen.

So, now we have a nice disc. It is really like a DX Valkyrie+ (for me at least). Flips flat from a heyser and then does a right hand glide, to a short left fade (or no fade at all). It always turns a little right from a "normal" heyser.

So, it stands to reason the Teerex DX may truly be the DX Teebird+.

It is more flaky than my Surge and I have to remember to heyser the thing a tick more, but I threw it 495' today. This is my longest throw ever.

Definitely worth a look...and the $9.00. If nothing else for field throwing.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 18, 2006 7:50 pm

grats.

i've found the dx wraiths so far to be sick stable with a good chunk of fade, but if you are putting em 495' that's about 100' farther than i am putting mine on a good rip :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:58 pm

I've broken my DX Wraiths into the point where they'll turn and fly right like crazy if I don't think about it. With a ton of hyzer though, the flip and the glide is just ridiculous. ~475' yesterday, about 30' farther than my previous longest throw (also with a DX Wraith, and that was a fluke throw with a crazy tailwind) and not more than 12 or so feet off the ground. If I can get a slight bit more height, and not pull it off to the right as much, I should be smoking these things 500+ soon. Now that I can actually grip a disc...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu May 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Blake_T wrote:grats.

i've found the dx wraiths so far to be sick stable with a good chunk of fade, but if you are putting em 495' that's about 100' farther than i am putting mine on a good rip :P

The Sun shines in a dogs ass on a good day, huh?

Hey, it is the Blake "back to basics" plan that has me BORN AGAIN HARD. Also, this is my field...but I will admit something is happening here. I am no longer grunting, and the disc is smoked.

I watched the WC video with Barry Schultz. I watched his form over and over and over and over.

http://www.usdgc.com/video05.htm

He throws a Roc 435' just over the basket! A Roc!!!

His rotation and drive are so pretty. His hips and legs drive the shoulders which create the arc across the chest for the "chop" to snap. Beautiful, like watching a young Jack Nicklaus or Tiger when he is on. Power from the ground up.

The rotation must drive the chop and snap, not the other way around. This is new for me.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby bigs348 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:58 pm

I played the Maple Hill course up at Marshall Street in MA this past weekend. If you've seen the DVD, maybe you can visualize what I'm talking about. There's a couple holes that I could just let loose on the DX Wraiths, and the results were spectacular. Hole 11 both rounds, and hole 1 in the long have the tee a good little bit up in elevation -- 20-25 feet or so is my guess. Hole 11 first round is 702 ft. After my drive, I had about a 225 foot upshot and a putt for my 3. Second round, my drive was about in the same place. Hole 1 second round is 760 feet over the pond -- the landing area for most player's drives is right in the middle of the pond. I took the risk and went for it. I cleared the pond by a good margin and had about a 250 foot upshot. Unfortunately, I shanked it, ended up behind a tree and missed my long awkward putt for a 3.

Even with the elevation, these two drives were most likely my longest drives ever, both in tournament play. Although I had a good day, I could've sucked it up the whole rest of the time, but just knowing that I cleared the pond on a 500+ foot shot I was happy.

I'm thinking a DX Wraith may set the next distance record. Get this broken in just right with a hyzer flip and it just goes. I'd love to see some of the European distance guys rip these.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 30, 2006 8:00 pm

i'm still split on whether or not i believe the dx wraith could break the record.

i have a feeling they are a hair too flat and a bit too fast for being that flat to really be able to hold a 60' high tower staying turned/nose down beyond 600'.

i feel the spectra has a better chance because it has much greater lift characteristics and is flippier.

if the dx wraith would have a legit shot, i believe a lot of distance throwers would have been throwing dx orcs as well, but it was the pro orc that had the longest throw out of the newer drivers (665' or so).
Blake_T

distance

Postby twmccoy » Tue May 30, 2006 11:03 pm

Blake_T wrote:i'm still split on whether or not i believe the dx wraith could break the record.

i have a feeling they are a hair too flat and a bit too fast for being that flat to really be able to hold a 60' high tower staying turned/nose down beyond 600'.

i feel the spectra has a better chance because it has much greater lift characteristics and is flippier.

if the dx wraith would have a legit shot, i believe a lot of distance throwers would have been throwing dx orcs as well, but it was the pro orc that had the longest throw out of the newer drivers (665' or so).

Interesting. I was throwing a spectra today against 2 wraiths and a few other discs, and the wraiths were longer. The spectra does have them beat for downwind shots though. If you ask me, the discs with record distance potential out now are the pro wraith, pro orc and pro starfire. The starfire is great because it is also flippy enough to go downwind nicely. The spectra just doesn't glide well enough to hang with a pro starfire.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 pm

the spectra has a lot more drag force due to dome but that shape does give it a shot to ride the right kind of wind and anyone going after the distance record will have some kind of tailwind.

the separation has to be drawn between penetration and true glide.

the wraith and starfire will penetrate well, but the starfire doesn't have the dome to parachute and glide in the same way a distance toss requires, although i will say both the wraith and starfire are better discs for say, 500-550'.

the wraith has the dome, but the wing width creates the need for a substantial amount of nose down to get a forward gliding finish (like 30 degrees of nose down at say, the 600' mark). i just don't think it can carry enough during the flex.

basically, a throw that will break 820' is going to be something along the lines of a 600' turnover shot that is still very nose down and 50' off the ground at the end of its turn that is going to flex and carry another 220+.

i agree the pro orc is good for that shot as well, but with a distance contest format i think it's squirrely nature may make it very hit or miss and a matter of someone getting lucky (even moreso than usual).
Blake_T

Return to Equipment