i'm new

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

i'm new

Postby coologrego » Thu May 25, 2006 10:58 pm

i'm new to the sport, bought my own disks today but have played a few times before and loved it. ok but here's what i've got : (they're all innova DX plastic) 172g ROC, 120g Valkyrie, and a 120g cheetah. I use the ROC as a putter and approach and it works great, but i want to know if there are any other's you can suggest. Thanks
coologrego
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:41 pm

how old are you and how big are you?

ultralight discs (sub 145g) are hard to come by and are generally reccomended for younger/smaller discers. The cheeta makes a pretty good beginner driver, and a valk is ok. You would benifit from learning slower drivers like the cheeta, cobra, leopard ect.

I would definately reccomend buying a putter. birdies, putt'rs, avair p&a, are all good putters that are very beginner friendly.

youre lucky coming here so soon, I wish I had had this resource when I started playing, its helped me enough already.
If you havent already read the articles/ beginner tips/ disc selection portions of dgr, Id reccomend it. http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby coologrego » Thu May 25, 2006 11:53 pm

thaks i'm 15, about 5'10" and about 135lbs.
coologrego
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:57 pm

you would probably have very little problems handling 150 class discs, even mid 160s.

Just something to keep in mind next time youre in the market for discs.

however the lightest disc ive thrown is about 143, and it was fairly controlable, and possibly you could learn from throwing such light discs ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby coologrego » Fri May 26, 2006 12:05 am

alright thanks for all the help, there are just so many discs i can't tell the difference between them.
coologrego
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 12:39 am

the disc selection article on the site should be as much of a guide you will need until you understand all the subtle differences and can differentiate for yourself. Good luck, and welcome to the sport. :D
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby sleepy » Fri May 26, 2006 9:46 am

coologrego wrote:alright thanks for all the help, there are just so many discs i can't tell the difference between them.

Welcome to the boards! Check out this thead for some great info on the difference between discs, and other general stuff. Also, the articles on the main discgolfreview site are invaluable...make sure to read the ones about disc selection and overlap! :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Equipment