Good Finds

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Good Finds

Postby bigs348 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:59 am

Just wondering if anyone has found any good deals on rare/expensive/hard-to-find discs. Maybe stuff bought from Play It Again Sports or bought used off of a newbie. (I know there's good stuff in the ponds, too.)

I played in a tournament this weekend, and all Ams got a free disc in the player's pack. There was a huge box of discs, most of them Surges, Avengers, and Buzzzes with the tourney stamp. Well, I was digging through and I found a 175g CFR Glo Teebird-L from the club's 2004 SuperTour event. The Glo TLs are probably my favorite driver, but I always have trouble finding them. Only certain tournies get them for fundraising and they're usually $25. I was pretty pumped.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri May 26, 2006 9:16 am

I have a bunch of great Pro Cyclones that I have gleaned from various sources. One of my longest is purple standard Cyclone stamp that I got for $3.00 Play It Again Sports. It has brown stains and is not real pretty any more, but it glides like crazy.

Most of my best Cyclones were purchased from a local guy who always has a box of discs in his truck. Most are new tourney stamps. I got a new powder Pro Cyclone 2 the other day for $6.00. It is a great disc, like a Roc on steroids.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Found a roc

Postby Denver Discer » Fri May 26, 2006 12:09 pm

Found a roc at a course in Minnesota with no name on it, and it was an Ontario roc...so about 10 years old....beat to hell....it's a great turn over mid-range :) And just the other day found what someone told me was a first run Z XS
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 pm

middle of a field at a local course, no one else in sight, 8X roc. just traded it for a big stack of buzz's including a cryztal......
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri May 26, 2006 1:28 pm

The Played Again here has so many good discs people don't know about.

I have picked up:
3 unused 4x JK Aviar X (haven't used these since I got them the same week I switched to wizards)
1 CE Firebird
1 10x KC Avair
1 10 KC Gazelle
1 first run star teerex (still haven't used this, just picked it up in case)
and so many 10x eagles I have lost count. I think these are my favorite headwind drivers.
and a whole lot of random dx plastic still in great shape that people trade in because they fish it out of the water and don't care about DX.

last time I was in there they had two SE archangles, a whole lot of first run wolves, and a dx teebird so old I had never seen the stamp on it. It was a teebird sitting on a wooden post. It looked cool but thrashed.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby roadkill » Fri May 26, 2006 3:15 pm

I prefer dx plastic in several different molds. In the current age of high tech plastics, I get some nice used dx plastic on eBay for next to nothing.

Funny thing is I prefer discs that have already been broken in, so while a used disc may only cost me $4-6 on eBay, I prefer them to most new discs costing $10-14.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Re: Found a roc

Postby twmccoy » Fri May 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Denver Discer wrote:Found a roc at a course in Minnesota with no name on it, and it was an Ontario roc...so about 10 years old....beat to hell....it's a great turn over mid-range :) And just the other day found what someone told me was a first run Z XS

Found an 8X roc a couple years back. Good condition and no name. Never thrown it. Also have found about 5 first run buzzes. Last weekend found a star wraith, star starfire and star T rex. All my rare discs come out of lakes.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat May 27, 2006 7:41 am

I found a KC Roc yesterday.

For some reason I never find discs, even though I look.

this is the first disc I found that went into my bag. Nice, flat flying Roc.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Pagan » Sat May 27, 2006 5:12 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I found a KC Roc yesterday.

For some reason I never find discs, even though I look.

this is the first disc I found that went into my bag. Nice, flat flying Roc.

Funny huh? Ya find a LOT of overstable max distance drivers in water, or deep in the rough. Gee I wonder what this says? LOL I lost a champ orc in water last fall. I said f*ckit and left it there. too much disc for me then. Even now my Crush is too much most of the time.

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 28, 2006 12:02 am

you ask me a crush is more disc to handle than a orc, but a hell of alot better in the wind and more predictable. and yeah other than dx cheetas and champ valks, I agree alot of fast overstable stuff in the ponds...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

discs

Postby twmccoy » Sun May 28, 2006 9:12 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:you ask me a crush is more disc to handle than a orc, but a hell of alot better in the wind and more predictable. and yeah other than dx cheetas and champ valks, I agree alot of fast overstable stuff in the ponds...

Not sure about that. I'd say most of what I find are beasts, valks and eagles. I do find lots of overstable drivers, but not more than the understable stuff. Last trip out I found 2 champ valks, 3 champ vikings, 4 crushes, a flash, 2 orcs, a wraith, a teerex and several eagles. I just seem to find a little bit of everything. BTW, someone lost the teerex on 12 at expo, didn't quite clear the lake. Wrong disc for that silly little hole. I'm amazed at how many drivers I find off of 2, which is only 240 ft or so.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Rooster » Sun May 28, 2006 9:54 am

man, you guys find so many discs...seems like peole don't care about there disc like they do here. most people will go in after their discs where i live seems not to be the case whever you folks are.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 28, 2006 10:57 am

I think the difference is the park in question is a sewage drainage basin... the water is horrible... without waders you deal with alot of trash, glass, leeches and other parisites. (Ive been in a couple times w/ o waders, I still will durning a round if I can see the disc, because someone else is likely to pick it up.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jase » Sun May 28, 2006 11:46 am

People don't want to go into the river or pond here becuase it's muddy, there are leeches, there are snapping turtles, and their is metal also. One kid stepped on a car hood. I still go in though, becuase I know there are good discs in it. I've found or 3/4ths of my discs in that river.
jase
Noob

discs

Postby twmccoy » Tue May 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I think the difference is the park in question is a sewage drainage basin... the water is horrible... without waders you deal with alot of trash, glass, leeches and other parisites. (Ive been in a couple times w/ o waders, I still will durning a round if I can see the disc, because someone else is likely to pick it up.

Yeah, its no picnic finding discs here. I wouldn't do it without waders as the water is fairly gross. I do see other people in the lakes at expo, some barefoot. I average about 40-50 discs a trip so it is totally worth it. In two years I'd say I found about 1000 discs at that park alone. Its always fun finding new stuff to throw.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment