Question for you Roc Hounds

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Question for you Roc Hounds

Postby Solty » Wed May 31, 2006 8:14 pm

Why are Champ Rocs so sought after, other than their rarity?

A friend asked me tonite and i couldn't give him a solid answer.

My thinking is that they hold their true flight pattern longer before getting beat in?

Anyone?

mike
Last edited by Solty on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby diskgopher » Wed May 31, 2006 8:53 pm

Generally speaking its because of their limited supply and their retail price of $25. They usually have stamps that look nice on a wall so collectors will snatch them up.

As far as their flight, they do stay straighter longer and have more overstable finish but they don't have a lot of glide. Most of the Champion rocs made from 2003 on were pretty like this. The SB rocs, 2001 CE, and 2002 CE rocs have different flight paths but you can find discs that almost do the same thing without having to pay e-bay prices. Personally, I really like the glow champion because they aremore flat topped and more overstable. But if I lose the one I have I may just give up and throw a z-wasp.
diskgopher
Noob

rare

Postby twmccoy » Wed May 31, 2006 10:27 pm

Well they surely are rare. After finding 1000+ discs in lakes I have never seen one. I did find an 8X roc once as well as a Super Roc from some tourny in Iowa. I'm sure people around here throw them, but no one I've ever played with threw one.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 am

it's because they are overstable and most people are torque monkeys that can't throw stable mids/putters so they seek out overstable plastic versions of stable discs in order to compensate for their lack of form.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby bigs348 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:26 am

heh. he said torque monkeys.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:57 am

I just picked up one of these last week. The Played Again here got in some x-out 2006 champ rocs and I was trading in some discs and I decided to see what the fuss was about. I got to say "Eh," It is a good disc but I don't really have a lot of use for it, I never really need the overstablity it offers since where I play we never really get giant winds. It is good for forehand flicks and rollers but so is a new DX roc. I give it a 7/10.
I have never thrown the old CE ones though so I can't really comment on them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Solty » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:54 am

i'm a so called 'torque monkey' and am happy with a Z wasp or KC Pro Roc for drives......i use a pro classic roc for my tweaners that use finesse.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby asimo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:27 am

My buddy and I headed out to play in the middle of the night last night. There is a local course that has lights on, all night. It's only a nine hole but it is the coolest thing to be able to golf anytime of day or night.

I didn't have my golf bag but my friend has hundreds discs. After checking out what he had, we negotiated a deal for his unused 2004 CE Glow Roc.

This thing is awesome!!! It's overstable like a baby monster or something. It has some serious teeth. Needless to say, I wont be using it for my straight shots, unless there is a very tough wind. But, when I want to finish left, throw a flex shot, or get some good skip out of a mid-range, the CE Glow Roc is like nothing else.
asimo
Noob

Postby kling » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:20 pm

Blake_T wrote:torque monkeys

:D
kling
Noob

Postby sleepy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:42 pm

New discgolfreview.com slogan:

"Don't be a torque monkey...read discgolfreview.com"

:D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:08 pm

yeah you can try to convert a torque monkey ;-) good luck. I usually get,
Torque Monkey: "I throw my Z pred almost as far as you throw those beat up avengers so why should I throw something else?"
What do you throw in a headwind?
Torque Monkey: "Z Extreme what else? oh and I sometimes carry a new max weight Z crush for when I want a turn, but its not very consistant, too flippy?"
:lol:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:32 pm

So all that being said, what makes the best overstable roc? If money and availability wasn't a concern, would it be: champ, star, sb, kc pro,or just new dx (and within that, flat or domey)?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:24 am

you may have to rephrase,
best as in the best one thats overstable?
or
best as in the one thats most overstable?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:27 am

best at holding an overstable line was the 01 ce roc.

most overstable was the poppy top domey 11x kc roc.

one thing i know: any ce roc released after the 2001's were very squirrely when compared to DX/KC rocs. the Super Roc re-releases are like that also. needless to say, wtf would anyone want a squirrely roc?
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:23 am

Predictable 50' well defined S-curves (when compared to firebird, monster, ect.) and it fills the same roll as a new 11k KC Roc, just 10' shorter and will stay overstable for a while. My 2006 Climo Glow Roc is just getting to the point where it is like a brand new DX Flat top only used for a few weeks.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment