19%
10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock
7%
all the pink ones I can find :)
12%

Total votes : 69

Re: Comet lovers

Postby marmoset » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:58 pm

I agree with DGDave and Working Stiff. Z Comets would be a mainstay of my bag IF they became regular production. I'd probably carry a stiff Z and a gummy Z if they made both.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby gremlin75 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Well I replied to the last e-mail I got from the big D informing them of this thread and giving link. Will it make a difference in there decision? Not a chance but hell its worth a shot :mrgreen:

But for now I can only dream of a stack of Z comets sitting next to my stack of ESP comets
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby SkaBob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm gonna have a Z Comet in my bag whether they go into production or not heh...Really would be nice to be able to get backups, though.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby gremlin75 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Yeah same here. The newer ones just feel better in the hand to me. Either way I still have the older Z I got from you and now the 2 newer Z's. So three isnt bad since the Z can take one hell of a beating (not that I ever hit any trees :roll:) Still makes the Z's lonely sitting next to the 16 extra ESP's I have (not including the 2 in my bag) :oops:
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:35 am

I think the Ace Race is gonna kill the Comet one day. It guarantees that every year the big D will introduce a disc that more or less will be in the Comet market. No matter that the Comet is a better disc than any of the Ace Race discs...if you have all that marketing tied into the Ace Race, the discs have to end up in the line-up.

I was bitching about Comets not being available in Z and ESP the other day to a buddy who basically blew me off and said "They have a Z Comet. It's called a Glide. They have an ESP Comet. It's called a Meteor." While that is oversimplifying the issue, he has a point. Discraft seems to want us to move on to new discs. They use words like "legendary" and "venerable" in their marketing and refer to the Ron Russell World's win. I bet half the members of the PDGA today have no idea who Ron Russell is!

Anyway, the whole thing makes me uneasy. Discraft has killed some really good discs like the X2 because they did not sell. Obviously only having the Comet in the X line indicates that it's not a great seller for them anymore. I'd like to see them get serious about promoting how great a disc this is and put in permanently in the ESP and Z lines, but obviously it has to sell. When they introduce a brand-new disc to compete with it every year, that gets to be a hard proposition.

Anyway, if this Z run materializes...I'm gonna stock up!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby SkaBob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:53 am

I'd certainly hope Discraft wouldn't discontinue the Comet...I'm pretty sure they wouldn't, at least as long as Darren's working there or on their team.

The ESP Comets have been WILDLY popular among the Discraft team members I've played with...A few of them have said they never understood what was so special about them until the ESP ones came out, and now every local team member and a lot of the other local pros are carrying ESP Comets in their bags...Combine that with the popularity in the wild, and there's really no reason to consider switching to say, the Meteor.

It's one thing to make a disc that flies sorta like a Comet...it's another thing entirely to make one that flies enough like one that you can say you don't need the Comet anymore. At least with the MRV, the Buzzz and Wasp cover the majority of what you'd use one for. With the Comet, the closest you come are the Meteor and Glide, and neither is even half the disc the Comet is.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby gremlin75 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:40 am

SkaBob wrote:The ESP Comets have been WILDLY popular among the Discraft team members I've played with...A few of them have said they never understood what was so special about them until the ESP ones came out, and now every local team member and a lot of the other local pros are carrying ESP Comets in their bags.

I was looking through the team page the other day and was surprised at ho many more team member are throwing comets now. Kind of funny.

Ok so I sent this e-mail to Pad at Discraft:
I wrote:Well I doubt a little online forum will help sway the minds at Discraft but I just figured I'd throw it out there just in case :)

Over at Disc golf review there are some people hoping and dreaming about Z comets since the rumor popped up that you guy were going to do a production run, here's a link to the "comet lovers" thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7667 <http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7667> .
I know the comet isn't as thrown as the buzzz but those of us who throw it love it and would love some Z's (I know I'd personally love to have a stack of Z comets to go along with my stack of ESP comets) If I remember correctly arn't you a comet thrower as well Pad

And Pad's response? :
Pad wrote:Hi Gregory,

Your wish will soon be granted, they will be released in early spring of 2009 and they are looking sweet.
To place a quantity order fill out a stock order form and email to erich@discraft.com.

Peace,

Pad

So the Z's are coming in the Spring of 09!!!
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:37 am

WoooHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:55 am

gremlin75 wrote:So the Z's are coming in the Spring of 09!!!
That's awesome.

I'd like to think our incessant bitching had something to do with this great decision. Of course it didn't, but we can fool ourselves into believing it the next time we start grumbling about what we think a disc golf company should do. It's the DGR whiners new rallying cry..."Remember the Z Comet!"

I'll be remembering some Z Comets right into my bag!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby cmlasley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Working Stiff wrote:I think the Ace Race is gonna kill the Comet one day. . .

They need to pull the old Folger's switch. Get people out to the Ace Race, throwing this sweet disc with super-controllability, nice glide, and aces aplenty . . .

then reveal it's a Comet.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby marmoset » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:13 pm

cmlasley wrote:They need to pull the old Folger's switch. Get people out to the Ace Race, throwing this sweet disc with super-controllability, nice glide, and aces aplenty . . .

$25 for 2 undercover ESP Comets, a hat, a sticker and a tournament with a chance to win a bag full o' Discraft?
I'm in!
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 pm

cmlasley wrote:

They need to pull the old Folger's switch. Get people out to the Ace Race, throwing this sweet disc with super-controllability, nice glide, and aces aplenty . . .

hahaha priceless...I'm half tempted to buy a batch of tourney stamped Comets with ace race looking stamps just to throw people for a loop :lol:
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby DPJ88 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:17 pm

*drool*

I can't wait for Z comets. spring '09 is so far away. but! since I can't really get out and enjoy a round with below 0 weather. . . hopefully the time will go faster than I think it will.
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

!

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:19 pm

cmlasley wrote:

I was thinking the same thing last night...instead of doing an LE ESP Comet and gouging us they should have made it an Ace Race disc, got people all excited and then released it into regular production. That would have been awesome..."SURPRISE! It's a Comet."
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby dgdave » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Man. I'm liking the Z more and more. I had 2 340-360 foot holes that this thing just went dead straight. Little bit of hyzer and a good pop will git it there dead straight! I also love the toss it flat with some snap and it just does a soft curve for soooo long with out crashing and burning. I want more!!!
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment