Spectra...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:33 pm

do they have room for other 1.0 drivers? If they could make something similar to a spectra but a have a higher resistance to turn wouldnt they rate it higher?

Im not saying they dont have too many options for overstable or pro stable though either.

I think making "improvements" is getting harder for the two big comanies. Meanwhile gateway is trying alot of new stuff, but not making anything too new. (DT seems semi promising though)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:55 pm

the spectra is the flippiest of the 1.0 drivers. the x xl is much more stable, as is the x cyclone.

what they need to work on are:
1) a teebird clone
2) a super amazing disc in the 1.4-1.5 stability range.

btw... gateway started experimenting BEFORE they had a full product line.

they are still missing a long range understable and discs that resemble valks/teebirds. i see those as being "gaping holes" in the line.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:24 pm

I liked X XLs for understable for a while, but not out of the box.
and for a teebird Clone, I do love my beat x pred ;-).
they could definately benifit from a 1.2-1.5 disc right now. Ive thrown the surge now, (Z and ESP) and it is too lls for my max d prefrence, I think if they handled the release of the spectra better (less than 20$) it would have done better, and If it had a higher resistance to turn, even if that meant more lls, It could be an aswome disc.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Woodchuck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 am

Blake i think the Scream is going to be that long range understable disc Gateway has needed. I have thrown the Scream DT and it is very easy to throw and very long. It is less stable than a teebird.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:48 am

i've thrown a scream and found you still have to put a ton of power on it to get it to fly anything moderately straight.

i'm bsically waiting for them to release something you can throw 80% and will still get decent carry.
Blake_T

Postby Woodchuck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:14 pm

are you sure you threw the Scream DT? its the one with the dimples on the bottom of the wing. It is much less stable than the regular Scream. He has 4 different versions of the Scream PDGA approved. I found the regular scream to be to overstable for me but the DT is liek my Sidewinder.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:21 pm

heh. yah, i guess it was a regular scream... which leads me to another issue they tend to have.

too many mods. FX, A, factored, etc. all basically make it impossible for most players to get a uniform disc.
Blake_T

Postby Woodchuck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi Blake yeah i have noticed that too, Innova does the same thing though. I think at Gateway right now they are just going crazy, they are coming up with a lot of new designs, they might be getting carried away. But i must say the Scream DT is going to fill a huge gap for them. It is great for people with weaker arms, its about the same stability as my Sidewinder but goes further. IT makes an awesome sound as its flying too. He needs to finish it up and start mass producing it soon , they will sell like hotcakes.
Woodchuck
Noob

new discs

Postby twmccoy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 pm

Blake_T wrote:i've thrown a scream and found you still have to put a ton of power on it to get it to fly anything moderately straight.

i'm bsically waiting for them to release something you can throw 80% and will still get decent carry.

Sounds like you need a wraith-L. That would be a sweet disc indeed.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:45 pm

innova does, but they do that in light of having a complete line of products.

as for a wraith-L, unfortunately, the mod they have used on the eagle, firebird, starfire, teebird, and monster to make it flippier is not possible on the wraith due to lack of a notch on the wing to smooth off.
Blake_T

Postby DiscCrusher » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:28 pm

The Spectra is a pretty good disc for anyone who likes to throw distance drives with understable plastic, it can go long. But it is highly unpredictable for me being understable but so nose and hyzer angle sensative. I am way more consistent with a pro starfire or a wraith. For those considering buying a spectra the disc flies much like a new sidewinder but with the speed and long sweeping fade of a wraith. I would say that if it was Innova's disc it would be the speed 11 version of the 2xBeast.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Pagan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:27 am

Blake_T wrote:heh. yah, i guess it was a regular scream... which leads me to another issue they tend to have.

too many mods. FX, A, factored, etc. all basically make it impossible for most players to get a uniform disc.

Yeah that's true. I was looking at the Scream DT prot that I received for marks indicating what revision it was to no avail. I have no idea what revision it is. I can tell you that it seems to be a hyzer-flip disc. I've thrown it a bit, and had some guys from my local course throw it. One fellow is a semi-pro. he tried throwing it liek a wraith and it turned over hard rolled a good bit and stopped. After seeing this he put about 10 degrees of hyzer on it and it made a long flex. After a few throws he was able to get it out over 400' on a h-flip. I'm going to use this disc to learn h-flips. I've found it flies better when throw with about 75% of my power but I'm a 350' on a good day thrower. I'd say try the newer revisions blake I think you'll be surprised.

I'm wondering if this Scream Dt would fill my old Spectra downwind slot.... Hmnn.... It's a little breezy today I should experiment.
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

spectra

Postby twmccoy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:26 am

DiscCrusher wrote:The Spectra is a pretty good disc for anyone who likes to throw distance drives with understable plastic, it can go long. But it is highly unpredictable for me being understable but so nose and hyzer angle sensative. I am way more consistent with a pro starfire or a wraith. For those considering buying a spectra the disc flies much like a new sidewinder but with the speed and long sweeping fade of a wraith. I would say that if it was Innova's disc it would be the speed 11 version of the 2xBeast.

Good comparison except the 2X beast glides better.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Previous

Return to Equipment