Wizard Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wizard Question

Postby MeanGreen » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:04 pm

I've been putting for awhile with a Medium S Wizard that weighs 171 grams, but it's getting pretty beat up. I'd like to get another Wizard to take over as my main putter, and I've thought about trying a different firmness and weight. Which firmness is generally considered the best for putting? I've thought about getting a soft, but I don't want it to beat up too quickly.

I checked the FAQ before posting this, but if someone's already asked this question, I apologize.

Postby Solty » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:36 pm

firmness is usually a personal preference. Harder discs can kick out more easily whereas softer discs 'grab' the chains.

Site Admin - Behind The Scenes
Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 pm

keep in mind that I softer ones dont hold a line as well ;-), however, wizards dont get to soft, especially soft enough to effect line inside 45' too much.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Disc Whore
Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:52 pm

soft putters tend to have more knife throughs on right side and more "spin outs" on left side than firm putters.

firmer putters hold a better line.

soft putters have less roll aways.
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby daevidcardiac » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 am

i beat the shit out of my soft 173 and it flies better than ever
i use it for catch on pavement and its still my go to putter

Postby Weebl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:23 am

When my putting style was changing so much I noticed when I was putting with spin more than pitch I liked the firmer putters, when I pitched more and putted with less spin, i preferred the soft ones. I needs me a Wizard.
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:46 pm

I have one i use to play catch on pavement too...it still flys great even though the bead has been totally jacked.
The only difference I can see is that is has a more pronounced S curve...but only slightly and it is barely noticable within 100 feet.

Just a quick question...I got a supersoft black jerry stamp wizard...were some midnights supersoft...or is this just a regular SS? I was only wondering because I dont really like the supersofts and this would confirm my suspicions that all the buzz about midnights is in people's heads.
I Throw Faaar

Postby Weebl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:12 am

As far as I know, midnight only means it's black. So your suspisions are justified.
I putt now with a S-Wizard and dont see any reason to switch back. Soft enough to grab metal a little, yet firm. Thanks to the whole forum for beating it into my head enough to make me try one. :P
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:27 am

Well the thing about the black Wizards is that most of them are the chalky black plastic, and the chalky residue is what a lot of people like. I agree that my black Wiz has superior grip and it's definitely my favorite. I've never really heard them referred to as Midnights, but whatever -- probably some guy trying to sell them for exorbinant prices was taking a clue from the Midnight Buzzzes...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:46 pm

There are some chalky red ones floating around too.
Fairway Surgeon
Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 pm

I recently picked up two of the old protos in the brownish "electrical" plastic - love the feel of these two discs. I now put with one of these and drive with a M Wizard in a shinier Greenish plastic - almost glossy with the newer character stamp.
1000 Rated Poster
Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Couple things. (I hope I get this right) I want to say that the way you putt affects which firmness is best for you.

Finesse putts , firm. If you are a power putter, I think soft works best.

I started with firm. I seemed to have more bounce outs with the soft, but went to the soft midnight.

The midnight isnt just a black wizard; it seems to be chalky which makes it stick more. I love em.
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:41 pm

I've been using a Odyssey Putter prototype and fell in love with it,. However, after a few tree hits at full speed (ok my visual aiming sucks) it's taken a severe beating and looks like an orphaned, warped, shell of it's former self. I've decided to try a Wizard. I've read such wonderful things here about them. I'm really interested in comparisions to other companies plastic grades. Which firmness would most compare to Elite-Z? Like I said I like to drive with it and do hit trees frequently on our wooded course... Waiting to place the order on GGGT.com

Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
Addicted since October of '05
Tree Magnet
Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Woodchuck » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:54 pm

they make an E-Wizard which is like Z PLastic but probably better. The E-Wizards are very nice, and would be good in wooded areas if you like to drive with Wizards.

Chalky Wizards

Postby kvanorsdel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:22 pm

I have a stack of chalky purple wizards and love the way they feel :) . Problem is the chalkyness goes away after a while :?
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment