Wizard Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wizard Question

Postby MeanGreen » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:04 pm

I've been putting for awhile with a Medium S Wizard that weighs 171 grams, but it's getting pretty beat up. I'd like to get another Wizard to take over as my main putter, and I've thought about trying a different firmness and weight. Which firmness is generally considered the best for putting? I've thought about getting a soft, but I don't want it to beat up too quickly.

I checked the FAQ before posting this, but if someone's already asked this question, I apologize.
MeanGreen
Noob

Postby Solty » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:36 pm

firmness is usually a personal preference. Harder discs can kick out more easily whereas softer discs 'grab' the chains.

-mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 pm

keep in mind that I softer ones dont hold a line as well ;-), however, wizards dont get to soft, especially soft enough to effect line inside 45' too much.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:52 pm

soft putters tend to have more knife throughs on right side and more "spin outs" on left side than firm putters.

firmer putters hold a better line.

soft putters have less roll aways.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby daevidcardiac » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 am

i beat the shit out of my soft 173 and it flies better than ever
i use it for catch on pavement and its still my go to putter
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Weebl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:23 am

When my putting style was changing so much I noticed when I was putting with spin more than pitch I liked the firmer putters, when I pitched more and putted with less spin, i preferred the soft ones. I needs me a Wizard.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:46 pm

I have one i use to play catch on pavement too...it still flys great even though the bead has been totally jacked.
The only difference I can see is that is has a more pronounced S curve...but only slightly and it is barely noticable within 100 feet.

Just a quick question...I got a supersoft black jerry stamp wizard...were some midnights supersoft...or is this just a regular SS? I was only wondering because I dont really like the supersofts and this would confirm my suspicions that all the buzz about midnights is in people's heads.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Weebl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:12 am

As far as I know, midnight only means it's black. So your suspisions are justified.
I putt now with a S-Wizard and dont see any reason to switch back. Soft enough to grab metal a little, yet firm. Thanks to the whole forum for beating it into my head enough to make me try one. :P
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:27 am

Well the thing about the black Wizards is that most of them are the chalky black plastic, and the chalky residue is what a lot of people like. I agree that my black Wiz has superior grip and it's definitely my favorite. I've never really heard them referred to as Midnights, but whatever -- probably some guy trying to sell them for exorbinant prices was taking a clue from the Midnight Buzzzes...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:46 pm

There are some chalky red ones floating around too.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 pm

I recently picked up two of the old protos in the brownish "electrical" plastic - love the feel of these two discs. I now put with one of these and drive with a M Wizard in a shinier Greenish plastic - almost glossy with the newer character stamp.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Couple things. (I hope I get this right) I want to say that the way you putt affects which firmness is best for you.

Finesse putts , firm. If you are a power putter, I think soft works best.

I started with firm. I seemed to have more bounce outs with the soft, but went to the soft midnight.

The midnight isnt just a black wizard; it seems to be chalky which makes it stick more. I love em.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:41 pm

I've been using a Odyssey Putter prototype and fell in love with it,. However, after a few tree hits at full speed (ok my visual aiming sucks) it's taken a severe beating and looks like an orphaned, warped, shell of it's former self. I've decided to try a Wizard. I've read such wonderful things here about them. I'm really interested in comparisions to other companies plastic grades. Which firmness would most compare to Elite-Z? Like I said I like to drive with it and do hit trees frequently on our wooded course... Waiting to place the order on GGGT.com

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Woodchuck » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:54 pm

they make an E-Wizard which is like Z PLastic but probably better. The E-Wizards are very nice, and would be good in wooded areas if you like to drive with Wizards.
Woodchuck
Noob

Chalky Wizards

Postby kvanorsdel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:22 pm

I have a stack of chalky purple wizards and love the way they feel :) . Problem is the chalkyness goes away after a while :?
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment