Wizard Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Solty » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:26 am

ive found that my E wizards are softer than the S Wizard Soft OR Supersoft.

I had some black chalky wizards a while back and they were just too hard for me.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Pagan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:mine stayed fairly chalky, avoid letting them get too hot to cold this messes with wizard firmness and plastic.

Can you explain more please? I'm interested in making my "soft" even more soft...

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby BHW » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Unable to find a local Gateway dealer, I bought a Wizard online. I guess it's the regular, and not the soft or supersoft. Will it say supersoft or soft on the disc? This one feels hard....like the OLD dx plastic.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby steezo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 pm

it should say firm, medium, soft or super soft, otherwise it will just have F, M, S, SS.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby BHW » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:54 pm

Ah ha! On hte back....I just noticed the "M". If this is medium, what does "hard" feel like? I guess outside tomorrow, when it's 101*, it'll soften up a bit?
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby didihitatree » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:04 pm

The medium is actually pretty hard. In fact, there's not a whole lot of difference between medium and soft. People pick up my soft wizard all the time and go "this is the hard Wizard, right?" :lol:
didihitatree
Noob

Postby steezo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:09 pm

There are some difference between runs of firm and medium, but the test i do is tap the disc, if it sounds like compressed cardboard, its the firm ones. :lol:
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:09 pm

Pagan wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:mine stayed fairly chalky, avoid letting them get too hot to cold this messes with wizard firmness and plastic.

Can you explain more please? I'm interested in making my "soft" even more soft...

Pagan

soft wizards you can tune some by bending the rim up and down all the way around, that will make it a bit softer. Dont try w/ mediums, becuase they wont get any softer (and can crack) This does give them more broken in flight characteristics.
you can also (I dont like it but i know people who do) bend the flightplate of a soft wizard in to a taco twice (bending rim up) in a t, this will give you 4 thumb spots that dip in a touch and makes the disc alittle softer. extreme temps generally makes wizards harder
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby BHW » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Yeah, this might be the hardest disc I have. I think I'm going to pick up a supersoft as well. What do they feel like compared to discraft or innova plastic?
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:35 pm

im my experience...the supersofts are not really that soft....nothing like an Omega SS .....again...i think the E is softer IMHO.....i carry two E wiz's...and a soft for putter drives...

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby didihitatree » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:49 pm

The Supersofts are close what most people would call a "regular" putter-- like, say an Innova Aviar (putter). Discraft Magnets are actually pretty hard. They don't feel too much different to me than the Wizards, except no cool chalky grip.

They super-softs have got some degree of flex and there's some feel for your fingers in the flightplate if that's what you're used to... but they kinda lose some of the Wizard appeal to me as well, as they seem to fly kinda like regular putters as well.

Give the medium a try. You get used to it pretty quick, and it'll replace a lot of the throws you use a roc/Buzzz/MVR/Element for.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:56 pm

i carry both a supersoft an a medium. The med has bounced out on me a few times, so the supersoft is a must, at least for me. both greats disc tho, give it a try.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 pm

i'm all about the mediums these days. i'm used to the stiffness and prefer it... the release feels clean and they don't wobble as much on putts as softer putters. they crash the chains nice, too. plus long putt, up shot, or drive... they work great. i haven't noticed a change in spit outs from when i threw an omega SS, even.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:25 pm

My medium has less spit outs than my softs, but the sweet spot is shifted slightly left for RHBH, I use the right side of the basket to suck up my soft putter (I putt fairly hard from >20') and my medium i need to hit slightly off to the left or right and lower than I'm used to (more chance for hitting the pole and bouncing out)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby eg37167 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:56 am

Last night I got 5 black chalky Wizards in the low 170s range from Gateway. They were all stamped as Illusion (to align the stamp). Sweet!
eg37167
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment