Teebird in New DX Plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Teebird in New DX Plastic

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:51 am

I picked up a new DX Teebird. It appears to be molded out of the Wraith plastic or something like it. It is certainly not the standard "chalky" DX plastic. The bead is much sharper and the lettering is more crisp, which shows a more moldable plastic.

The dome is decidedly different. It is much more domey than the old DX. The dome is like a Wraith dome, in fact.

As a result the glide is better, but it flips much harder into the wind. It is much less stable. Not good.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:33 pm

definely seems to defeat the purpose of a pro stable disc if its flippy huh ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to stock up on "old" DX Teebirds. They are my bread and butter, and wouldn't know what to do if I had to find a replacement for them.

Besides, how long will 20 DX Teebirds last me :lol: :shock: :wink: ?
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby MrTasses » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Have any other molds been made in the "new" DX that have older DX runs to compare to? Just wondering if it is a function of the plastic blend or if that was just an odd run.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:37 pm

thew newest blend of dx valks are SUPER flat.... like, almost concaved on top.

the new beasts have a much more concaved rim than the beasts from like 4 months ago.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Blake_T wrote:thew newest blend of dx valks are SUPER flat.... like, almost concaved on top.

the new beasts have a much more concaved rim than the beasts from like 4 months ago.

Would you assume the new beasts would fly more like the old mold beasts? Have you gotten the chance to test either the valks or beasts?
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Woodchuck » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm sure Innova will fix the problem.Such as a special teebird for us that is only available on special occasions that will be like the old teebird at a special $20-25 price tag.

Blake can you confirm that the newest run of teebirds is in the new dx plastic?
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 pm

Woodchuck wrote:Blake can you confirm that the newest run of teebirds is in the new dx plastic?

Well...I can confirm the plastic of the newest Teebird I have (came from Innova direct) is definitely a shinier, slicker, stiffer and more accurate plastic than any DX I have ever seen except for the Wraith or the Goblin. It was just a matter of time until the new plastic started showing up. Even if it is a "transition" plastic, it is certainly more along the lines of the plastic that was promised.

I would just increase the undercamber of the bead, like a Teebird "X" version. The glide of the new dome is pretty awesome it were more stable. I really like the stiffness of the plastic. Much less gummy than the old Chalky type plastic.

Shoot... I have been messing with a Polaris LS that I fished out the creek, and it is pretty good disc. It is great for low bullets with lots of glide. It is not nearly as nose sensitive as a Teebird (kind of like Cyclone) but glides out at the end better than a Cyclone on low shots. Arguably, it is just as long as the DX teebird, and easier to throw without being beat.

Now that I have Predator for headwinds and windy days, I am not sure I need a Teebird at all. On calm days I can throw a Cyclone further and straighter without sweating the nose angle so much. The Predator is more heyser predictable than the Teebird, and is about the same length.

I may get slapped, but I have found the Teebird to be the most sensitve of the bunch, when compared to the Eagle, Cyclone, and Polaris, and only marginally less senstive than the more overstable Pred X. I can still bomb my Eagle further than anything I have, interestingly, except for the DX Wraith 1 in 5, which is really bombed. Not good for golfing though...
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby BAM » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:19 pm

I picked up a new DX T-bird the other day and it's got to be the same thing as your describing.

However it appears to be the same mold as my 11x KC Pro TB (basically the Champ plastic) which has a taller profile than the other TB's I've seen and is quite overstable. This new DX TB handles head winds quite well for me, much better than the chalky one I have when it was new.
BAM
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Would you assume the new beasts would fly more like the old mold beasts? Have you gotten the chance to test either the valks or beasts?

yes to the first question, but they seem to be more like the flat dx vikings than the old beast. no to the second question as i don't really throw either of those discs anymore except for beat valks for rollers.

feel free to send me money and i'll buy some and test them and give feedback :P

Blake can you confirm that the newest run of teebirds is in the new dx plastic?

not yet. should know next week.

honestly i wouldn't sweat it much. i'd bet $20 that after they break in they will fly nearly identical to older broken in dx teebirds.

I have found the Teebird to be the most sensitve of the bunch, when compared to the Eagle, Cyclone, and Polaris, and only marginally less senstive than the more overstable Pred X.

this is true since the eagle, cyclone, and polaris are all high speed understable while the teebird is stable. understable = less nose angle sensitive.

as for teebirds in general, they have always been a very domey disc. the ones that came out late 2004 through 2005 were flatter than teebirds had been for the majority of their lifespan (1999 to present).

it's hard to generalize "chalky" dx teebirds since there has been about 12 different blends of dx that would qualify as "chalky".
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Woodchuck » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:34 am

Bradley, its not that i didn't believe you i was just asking Blake because he works at a disc golf store. This is interesting one account saying its more understable and another saying its more stable.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Weebl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:54 am

CincyKeith wrote: Have you gotten the chance to test either the valks or beasts?

I carry one of the new DX Valks in my bag, it's damn robust. It holds up better than any late runs of pro plastic, especially when it meets concrete. It seemed to break in quickly until it reached broken in status, ever since it hasn't really changed much in stability... Same flightpath and speed as the CE Flat top Valks and 4x JK Valks... the DX Valk has a later fade than either JK or CE Valkyrie though 8)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:03 am

OK, here's my .02. I had, and looooved, an "old plastic" dx teebird that was this really cool bright, bright red color (if anyone's got any of these around 170, let me know) that I lost. I ordered 5 more, but was sent the darker (and harder to find in the shule) red color in the new dx plastic. I was a little dissappointed at first as the plastic is harder and slicker and not as grippy. So I took my 4 old plastic teebirds to the field with the new 5. The new ones are a tad slicker, faster, sharper nosed, better in a headwind, and glide farther......barely. I really don't think there is enough difference in any of these categories to make a differentiation. And to echo Blake, once the new one broke in a little, it's basically the same as the others. I'm still looking for more of those bright red ones for color's sake (the "rough" at my home course is up to three feet tall across the entire course), but really don't care about the plastic. The 2 yellow valks I got at the same time were also in the newer dx as well (I think) and again, other than being a tad less grippy, no difference in flight.

Also, the nex dx these teebirds and valks came in was not quite the same as the dx wraith I have. The wraith seems somehow denser and slicker than the birds and valks. I hit a tree with it when I first got it (not carried currently) and instead of denting, a big hunk chipped cleanly out of the rim. I've hit trees with the teebirds (really hard, too) and they don't chip like that.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:01 am

Woodchuck wrote:Bradley, its not that i didn't believe you i was just asking Blake because he works at a disc golf store. This is interesting one account saying its more understable and another saying its more stable.

Of course, high speed stability is a function of throwing speed.

I test my discs into 10 MPH headwinds. The new domey top DX Teebird will not hold the line as well as the old DX Teebird. This effect seems reasonable as the dome on most of my Teebirds are kind of collapsed on top (maybe I have a bunch of the 2004 to 2005 variety). The new one is very stood up.

Typically, even without testing, more flat top means more stable, pretty much across the board. More dome means more glide, but at the cost of stability.

The new Teebird behaves no better than a Cyclone into the wind. My Polaris is better.

Most people would believe there Wraith is "stable" at high speeds. Then rip it into a 20 MPH headwind.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

High Speed and wind

Postby trogdor » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeah, the Wraith is frightening into a headwind. Don't do it!!!

It's sure fun when it's not windy or the wind is coming from about 8:00 RHBH.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment