Putter Help

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Help

Postby Jobuu » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:44 am

I play at a windy course so putts can be tricky. I started with a 167 Z puttr but was a bit too domey. Switched to 160 something magnet, then to a 175+ magnet. I think I may want something more flexible but I still need something good in the wind and something that doesnt sink like my lead magnet. I really would like about 5 of every putter ever made and go nuts but that's not realistic.

Any ideas?

PS I use a push putt technique and get my spin off my middle finger

PPS I can putt consistant to about 15-20 feet. After that, it just sinks too much or I have put a lot of force to move it that far causing me to overshoot. I just cant get the long putts.
Favorite current discs
Champion Beast
DX Roc
Z Breeze
Jobuu
Noob

Postby garublador » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:10 pm

I'm not an expert on these, but since no one has chimed in yet...

The discs that come to mind when you say you want something more flexable than a Magnet and good into the wind are the Soft Magnet, the Proline Rhyno, the JK Aviar, the APX Swirl, the Omega SS or maybe the Super Soft Wizard (I'm skeptical as to how flexable that one will be, though). If you can, go to a disc store and see if any of those feel good to you. I think most of them have pretty similar flight paths except the Rhyno may be the most overstable.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TLapham » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:02 pm

I agree that a Pro Line Rhyno sounds exactly like what you are looking for. I use the SE Soft Rhyno's, but they are out of production. My home course is very windy as well and Rhyno's hold a line in the wind no problem.
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby sorearm » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:37 pm

I've been trying a soft magnet but it

definitly is time to try a JK Aviar or Rhyno in a max or near max weight.
sorearm
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:39 am

imo none of the soft putters have the float characteristic you are referring to.

on putts, the disc stays in the air from one or more of the following: raw velocity, glide/updrafts, or clean spin. most soft putters are pliable and seem to carry a lot of mass in the flight plate in order to keep them with some shape and then rely on the flexibility of the plastic itself to absorb shocks. the downside of this is that they tend to behave less glider-like and more like weights. the second part of this is that as they break in, softer "floppy" putters tend to burn up a lot of their RPM's as the disc requires more kinetic energy to get it to spin cleanly/uniformly.

personally, i don't like putters that float and hang in the air (rattler, polecat, birdie, putt'r) or putters that have no carry whatsoever (rhyno).

as for your problems with magnets, it may be the downward slope on the leading edge which causes it to drop. i find that a flat putt with a magnet tends to fly like a nose down putt and it's kind of funny to watch me try to make adjustments to other putters after say, a half hour of putting with a magnet (as all my other putters i end up putting unintentionally very nose up).

as for what you are looking for, i can't really say what will work. wizards float more than magnets and rhynos, but not as well as an aviar. the challenger tends to drop quite a bit as well. you may find a good combintation of flexibility and characteristics with the regular old aviar putt & approach. however, i'm more partial to more stable putters such as the wizard, challenger, and big bead/kc aviar.

i wouldn't get too hung up on stiffness of plastic as generally stiffer putters will hold their line better and have a bit less low speed fade than softer plastics. while soft putters might help increase your make % when you miss slightly right, they also spin putts off the chains that hit slightly left. being able to hit where you want to every time imo is more important than the plastic being soft/firm. i find myself more consistently hitting the spot w/ firm putters and have stuck with them.

as for ideas on what you might want to try:

s/h wizard (h will have more float)
big bead aviar
aviar putt & approach
pro d challenger
xd
classic roc
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jobuu » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:00 am

hmm, lots to think about there. since the year is almost over i think im going to wait until next spring to buy more discs. who knows when something new will come out?

i agree with the magnet nose diving. it happens to me all the time. i'll try to keep the nose slightly up next chance i get. i did notice my friends' styles of putting where the nose was up a bit. i didnt know if it was their discs or my technique.

i'll have to experiment and maybe borrow some of their putters
Favorite current discs
Champion Beast
DX Roc
Z Breeze
Jobuu
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:44 am

I started with aviars, switched to magnets. Tried a putt'r (and a birdie somewhere in the timeline) but didn't like them in the wind at all.

I was back to a kc aviar (the magnet just didn't work for me in the wind) when someone recommended a wizard, so I ordered the 5 putter special gateway has. The wizard is the best combination of distance/(over)stability. I can't imagine playing windy days without it. Make sure you go max weight for the wind.

I have thrown a ct challenger and was amazed. I'm not smart enough to compare/contrast but it was about as good as my wizard. The only reason I haven't tried the pro d challenger is that I ordered an inncolor one that was too nice to throw.

I've been told that the new banger is also good in the wind.

My picks would be 1. wizard (experiment with firmness to see which works best for you) with a close 2. pro d (or ct) challenger

Really if wind weren't an issue, I'd still be using magnets.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment