150 only?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

150 only?

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:21 am

does anyone play only 150g discs?

i've thought about this idea. when i play after work, fatigue is a big factor.

is there that big a difference in disc weight/ arm fatigue?

what do you use for a "stable" 150g driver?
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby dscglfgeo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:11 am

The max weight allowed in Japan is 150. there harder to control but you'll probably be able to throw it farther than ever. :)
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:14 am

there is not a big difference in weight and arm fatigue unless you strong-arm the disc.

oddly enough, if you throw mainly sidearm/overhand you have a decent chance of straining something throwing lighter discs, in a different way than if you were to strain something throwing heavy plastic.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby MrTasses » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:30 pm

this is slightly off-topic. Why is the general concensus that overhand throws will kill your shoulder? Baseball is based on an overhand throw. While I am sure the thinking is because a lot of players have injured their shoulders throwing overhand, my question is whether that is really due to poor mechanics or weak rotators, etc?
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

150 discs

Postby twmccoy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm

If you want a decent 150g driver, try a talon or flick. Both are pretty beefy for such light weights. In general, 150g discs are easy to throw but also get squirly in the wind. They also don't go quite as far as heavier discs.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:53 pm

150 class discs have greater distance potential than heavier discs. getting them to fly in the right direction is another story as they have much greater lift characteristics and will not mask technique flaws.

as for overhand injuries, a lot of it stems to a lot of people with previous shoulder injuries. i took my rotator cuff out 5 times and have separated my shoulder 3+ times. an overhand throw puts tremendous strain on the shoulder and in general, trying to get all of a thumber/tommy will often aggrivate previously existing weakness.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:37 pm

If you want a decent 150g driver, try a talon or flick.

what's the ideal range with these, mccoy? my average is 250-300ft. will those stay stable at that range?
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:25 am

That makes perfect sense; I have many shoulder injuries from high school. By the time I was in my late teens, I could throw a long ball but only about ten times before my shoulder acted up.

I can throw an overhead now, but it's tough on my shoulder. Actually, I'm finding that throwing sidearm is tough on my elbow as well. I cannot remember what problems I had with my elbows growing up; I know I tore some tendon ages ago.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:38 am

calvarycoffee wrote:

what's the ideal range with these, mccoy? my average is 250-300ft. will those stay stable at that range?

flick will be pretty overstable w/ 300ft of power, the talon will act pretty overstable, but is a touch slower and will be more manageable w/ your power.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adamschneider » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:44 am

MrTasses wrote:Why is the general concensus that overhand throws will kill your shoulder? Baseball is based on an overhand throw.

Yeah, but why do they put starters on a pitch count? ;) And outfielders don't typically throw home from the warning track more than once or twice per game....

If I throw too many overhand discs in a day, I feel it in my shoulder AND my elbow -- and I don't have any injury issues. It's just hard on your arm.

As for the original topic, I have two thoughts: (1) after being astounded by the speed and arrow-straightness of a friend's Star Wraith a few days ago, I'm gonna pick up a 150g DX Wraith today. I'll let people know how it goes. (2) A number of Innova discs go down to 160g in Pro or Champion plastic; I find it's a nice middle ground between 150g and the usual 167g-175g range.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby twmccoy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:38 am

calvarycoffee wrote:

Oh, easily. I've thrown the 150 z talon about 375' or so on a straight line. The flick is actually very overstable and would work in the wind. For some reason those 150 flicks are nasty overstable.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:19 am

i got a 150 wraith 2 days ago. tried it both days.

i like it. it has a tendency to ballon up though, like blake said. (technique flaw?)

the first 75% of its flight is identical to my 169 wraith, which does impress me. i was thinking it would have been more understable "out of the box."

the last 25% is a hard crash to earth. i'm expecting this fade will soften as it gets more broken in.

the DX 150 wraith seems slick -what's the deal? different plastic?
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:57 am

all wraiths are in the new dx, 150 class stuff does seem to fall out of the air faster (because they slow down faster?) but that should lessen getting broken in. a problem Ive noticed the faster discs get, the more breaking in effects hss before lss.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby OldTyme » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:19 pm

I'd recommend 150g discs if you throw about 250-275' like I do.
The 150g Star Valk is a very long (yet predictable) disc.
I had a 150g Star Teebird that I liked very much. However I threw a very very bad shot with it & lost it in the woods. RIP.
I replaced it w/ a 155g Champ Teebird that I think I like a bit better. The champ seems too have more glide.?.

Back to the Valk. What a great disc. Great glide, very long. As long as my Sidewinder. I'd say the Valk flys almost identical too my Sidewinder but not as understable (but still understable). Definitely has the Sidewinder distance potential.
Throw the Valk with a bit of hyzer & let it flip up & fly. Or throw it flat for a S.

Back on topic of 150g. I didn't like my 150g Star Sidewinder. Too understable. May be good for a roller, but I don't / can't throw them.
I bought a 161g too replace it & like it much better.

(btw. My distance avg stated is probably a bit low .... I can get a 300'+ throw quite often. 300' is probably what........400' message board distance? :roll: )
:lol:
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby adamschneider » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:19 pm

calvarycoffee wrote:i got a 150 wraith 2 days ago. tried it both days.

i like it. it has a tendency to ballon up though, like blake said. (technique flaw?)

the first 75% of its flight is identical to my 169 wraith, which does impress me. i was thinking it would have been more understable "out of the box."

the last 25% is a hard crash to earth. i'm expecting this fade will soften as it gets more broken in.

I just tried my new 150g DX Wraith today, and I experienced exactly the same thing: it does seem to pop up higher than the 170 Star Wraith I tried last week, and therefore the "crash" at the end seems even harder. And for some reason, the 150g just doesn't seem as fast as the heavier one I tried.

The profiles of the two discs, by the way, are NOT exactly the same. The DX Wraith has a noticeable angle in the underside of the "wing," and the Star Wraith does not. That's surprising.

Boy, I wish they made a 160g Star Wraith.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Next

Return to Equipment