breaking in star plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

breaking in star plastic

Postby redspexxx » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:15 am

is there any way to make a disc break in faster than normal? i thought about skipping it off the pavement a few times but im not really sure if that would help
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:17 am

plenty of ways to do it artificially, but none that will do it the same as just using it for a long time.

best way i have found is to throw it off the tee on every hole for a few rounds.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

star plastic

Postby twmccoy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Star plastic does seem stubbornly overstable. I have a wraith that has hundreds of throws on it and it is still as overstable as the day I got it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: breaking in star plastic

Postby Fritz » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:39 pm

redspexxx wrote:is there any way to make a disc break in faster than normal? i thought about skipping it off the pavement a few times but im not really sure if that would help

Throwing it as a roller on every hole will work too.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:34 am

Fritz wrote:
redspexxx wrote:is there any way to make a disc break in faster than normal? i thought about skipping it off the pavement a few times but im not really sure if that would help

You should see my tee rex.....What was I thinking?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:03 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:
Fritz wrote:

You should see my tee rex.....What was I thinking?

lol, I rolled mine into a cement wall (not on purpose tho :oops:)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:49 pm

Choices: Find a large dense willow tree. Tons of small haning branches or as some might say, Nature's Sand Paper.

If you want a roller.... let that disc sit in the sun on a hot car or piece of metal for a few hours. Then you can either tune your disc according to the aerobie epic websiteand make it understable then dunk the disc in ice cold water to hard set the plastic.

Or play a nice round of "How Many Hits Does It Take" with a stone wall. Caution, Brick walls will take chunks of plastic out of your disc.

For some fun, try throwing skip shots off of pavement.

All time favorite trick to make a disc flippy and rubbery, let it soak in a bucket of water (lake water is quicker) for about 2 weeks minimum. The longer the better.

So get out into the woods and go sing the lumber jack song!
LastBoyScout

Postby Fritz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:28 am

Isn't using heat to "form" your disc to alter flight characteristics illegal according to the pdga?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby LastBoyScout » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:33 pm

i dunno. It was just sitting in my car and it was all flippy and bendy. I didnt realize that I changed anything.

Right? Lol.

Good question, I know you cannot sand your disc or add or remove plastic in chunks.... lemme see here.

PDGA 2006 Rules Book
802. Equipment; Section C
C. Players may not make post-production
modification of discs which alter their
original flight characteristics. This rule
does not forbid inevitable wear and tear
from usage during play or the moderate
sanding of discs to smooth molding
imperfections or scrape marks. Discs
excessively sanded or painted with a
material of detectable thickness are
illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

I really haven't thought about it seeing how the Epic comes with those tuning directions. Would that mean if a disc hits a tree, and you take the bend or distortion out if it, you should be DQ'ed for "modifiying your disc?

When I read it, I understand it to mean the addition or subtraction of plastic or material from the disc. Any physical alterations to a disc is also prohibited, with the exception of sanding discs to remove molding imperfections.

Bending a disc, is a slightly differnt topic all together, and sitting firmly in the gray area.

But I digress, I just won $250 playing poker tonight, so I have to go and choose a Revolution Bag and Quad Shocks plus decide on the colors, and if they should match.
LastBoyScout

Postby Fritz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:56 pm

Sweet, Gratz on the poker win.

Here ya go.

Carolina Team Bag
Image + Grey Quad Shocks. Ya gotsta Match homey!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:28 am

LOL. Getting the New Phenix Quad Shocks from SunKingDiscs....

You do gotsta match.... Grey/Navy Carolina Bag with Grey/Navy Tourney Quads...

Just read this description.... Who WOULDN'T buy these over the old Pro Quads?

The newly redesigned Quad Shock straps from Phenix Disc Sports combines the best features of the two previous models into one solid setup. The lightweight shoulder pads of the Tournament model were used along with easy-to-adjust "quick pull" front straps and mesh lining of the Pro Line model. On top of that, the new harness also has longer straps, metal D-rings a 4 carbiner hooks instead of two. Hands down, these are still the best straps on the market and the only ones that Sun King Discs will carry.

Fairwell to my old Lightning Tour Bag and Back Pack bag straps... You have served me well, and made $80 dollars the best investment over a years time I could have spent. May you grant me luck in our last night of Disc Golf at random doubles tomorrow, and may your new owner use you for many years.
Since you received your homemade revolution bag frame, you have always known what was to happen one day, and still served me well.

Fairwell my old navy blue bag. May you be used forever.
LastBoyScout

Postby Fritz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:07 am

Nice, get the blue quads with teh blue/grey carolina bag :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:16 pm

the blue quads don't match the blue caro bag.

better off w/ grey or black quads
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby CincyKeith » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:11 pm

I have the blue & grey carolina with what some people refer to as "charcoal" quads. I think they're just grey, but they almost look like a "carbon fiber" hood does. They match pretty well, but I would recomend the black. It would probably match the best.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Blake_T wrote:the blue quads don't match the blue caro bag.

better off w/ grey or black quads

It does look pretty close.... These are the new Quads.... Not the old tournament or pro quads...

Anyone else think the blues in the photos match?
LastBoyScout

Next

Return to Equipment