avenger and surge throwers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

avenger and surge throwers

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:44 pm

I like both discs, but I am currently carrying way too many discs. Do y'all think the two overlap too much to carry both?

I carry an x avenger, esp avenger, and esp surge. I keep saying I'm taking the esp avenger out, and then I'll lay it under the basket....
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:07 pm

i believe the avenger is a superior disc to the surge for a disc of this type.

that is, the avenger is way more high speed stable and predictable, even though the surge may be slightly longer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:18 am

Thanks Blake. I've been trying to decide whether to remove my esp avenger or surge. I try my esp avenger for shots where I've been using the surge.

I actually overthrew the surge by 30 feet on a comfortable hole for me. I need to really learn its distance potential.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:21 am

I've noticed that all the surge throwers here in colorado always say "damn went deep". Next hole they throw the surge, "damn went deep". A couple of them actually throw the avenger and most times I hear them say, I love this dsic goes where I put it. From that info, I'd go with teh avenger, I'm gonna be giving the ESP Avenger I got as a prize package disc from a tournament the past weekend a try.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:09 am

the surge was = in distance to the avenger for me, this is because my throwing style has slowly evolved to fit the avenger. That and I havent gotten to throw surges too much. I could see the surge being longer, but it was tough to predict the amount of turn and fade on the surge.
If they make an X surge I may give it another try, but I think it wont be stable enough in X.

the esp avenger is not as long as the surge, but x avengers come a bit closer.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby victorb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:22 pm

I carry both in my bag. I tend to use the Z Avenger as a headwind driver, as it is so much more predictable than the Surge due to its stronger stability traits.

The surge is my primary long distance driver, I have thrown it ~400 on quite a few occasions. When I want more predictability in windy conditions (depending on the wind of course) I reach for the Z Avenger.
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dscglfgeo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:12 am

I also carry both. I find the surge in max weight to be a little stable as well as the z avenger. the biggest thing though is the surge has broken 500' for me more than once. the avenger is more stable and probably my best head wind driver. But, when I need big "d" nothing beats the surge...star wraith is close but I like it for long sweeping hyzers.
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:07 pm

For me so far, the wraith is way longer than my surge. It may be that I am throwing a pro and dx wraith vs. esp surge.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:41 pm

The more I throw my Z Avenger, the more I am favoring the avenger over the Surge. I don't mind giving up about 40-50' of distance in exchange for putting the disc in the middle of the fairway (or wherever else I happen to be aiming).

I think the Surge will be a dirver for wide open holes in calmer wind conditions from now on, and the Avenger will be my primary driver.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

avenger

Postby twmccoy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 pm

Fritz wrote:I've noticed that all the surge throwers here in colorado always say "damn went deep". Next hole they throw the surge, "damn went deep". A couple of them actually throw the avenger and most times I hear them say, I love this dsic goes where I put it. From that info, I'd go with teh avenger, I'm gonna be giving the ESP Avenger I got as a prize package disc from a tournament the past weekend a try.

I'm the opposite. I throw the avenger and am continnualy disappointed at how short it ends up. For me it just does not carry. For longer holes I pull out the starfire or wraith and easily outdistance the avenger. I will give the avenger points for accuracy though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Fritz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:28 pm

I've been throwing this ESP Avenger, and I'm relaly not liking it. Edges are too sharp, and I just dont' like the way it feels. I throw my gazelle farther then I throw that disc. And I think it's cause of the edges. I jsut can't get a comfortable grip.

Might have to get me a Z-Avenger see if that's any different.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

avenger

Postby twmccoy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:15 am

Fritz wrote:I've been throwing this ESP Avenger, and I'm relaly not liking it. Edges are too sharp, and I just dont' like the way it feels. I throw my gazelle farther then I throw that disc. And I think it's cause of the edges. I jsut can't get a comfortable grip.

I hate the sharp bottom edge of the avenger. I've torn skin off my finger throwing that disc. BTW, the Z avenger has sharp edges too and is pretty overstable. IMO, the surge is a superior disc and has more potential.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: avenger

Postby Fritz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:01 am

twmccoy wrote:
Fritz wrote:I've been throwing this ESP Avenger, and I'm relaly not liking it. Edges are too sharp, and I just dont' like the way it feels. I throw my gazelle farther then I throw that disc. And I think it's cause of the edges. I jsut can't get a comfortable grip.

I hate the sharp bottom edge of the avenger. I've torn skin off my finger throwing that disc. BTW, the Z avenger has sharp edges too and is pretty overstable. IMO, the surge is a superior disc and has more potential.

Main Reason I tried the Avenger is becasue I need a light headwind disc. My current light headwind disc is the Special Blend Orc. I crush teh hell outta this disc in a light headwind, however I don't want to become dependant on a disc that if I lose it, I'm most likely screwed on replacing it because now they sell for 30$+ and when I first bought it it was only 15$. So I dont' want to risk getting attached skill wise to a disc that is hard to replace.

Wise words from Blake.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 am

the eadge of the avengers took alittle getting used to, but I love the predictability of the Z avenger, and the contolled distance of the X.
For me it was always a comfortable grip, but the rip was quite a rip...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:26 pm

The best avenger out there is the nate doss avenger in x plastic. The z steps up in (over)stability. However, if you are looking for a headwind disc, the z/esp may be what you want.

X avenger is my bread and butter. I break out the esp (used to be the z) for headwind.

I am experimenting with my star teerex for headwinds.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment