Need help on disc purchase

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need help on disc purchase

Postby smpen45 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:24 pm

I am a amateur player who needs some disc advice. As to how i throw, I used to get 250-350 foot drives consistently, but now have "lost my game" and usually screw up some way (big anhyzer).

Im looking for a stable driver with slight fade that wont wear too much and go way understable on me. I did some searching and i cant decide between an XS or an XL. Which should i get and should i get Elite X or Elite Z?

Thanks
smpen45
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:23 am

I'd go with the XL as i think it is more controllable. The X version is nice but it will turn fairly understable in not too much time. Im a big fan of the Z-version, ive had the same one in my bag for over 3 years now, and it just gets sweeter with age. It started out as my main stable driver, and now I like it for straight tunnel shots and whatnot. However if you throw with alot of torque and have trouble with discs turning over, you might want to step up to something a bit more stable like maybe a teebird. But IMO if you can learn to control a straight driver like an XL, your overall game will improve in the long run.

Just curious as to what drivers you are currently throwing and struggling with??
adidadg

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:32 am

take the star tl into consideration too, its alittle more stable than a Z xl
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby smpen45 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:54 am

I usually throw a champion valkyrie, and was getting great shots out of it, but now that ive had it for awhile it is anhyzering a lot. I can shoot it level forehand for about 180 feet, but with a big fade at the end. I have been using a pro beast, but i shoot that a bit high.
smpen45
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:06 am

valks and beasts make good distance drivers but can definitley get pretty squirrely with age. Something a bit slower and stable like a z-XL, QJLS, dx Teebird, and star TL like TDK said could help you out as they are much more controllable. By that I mean they are less sensitive to the angle of release as is the case with all slower discs. Dont get me wrong though, all of those drivers i mentioned are capable of some serious distance.

Do you mainly throw forehands as your drives? If thats the case I'd step up the stability a bit and suggest a champion eagle.
adidadg

Postby Woodchuck » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07 pm

Uh if you can only throw 180 feet you really shouldn't be throwing a valkyrie. YOu need to get something much slower and start working on your technique. Leopard, Cheetah, Cyclone, or even a mid range disc like a shark.

smpen45 wrote:I usually throw a champion valkyrie, and was getting great shots out of it, but now that ive had it for awhile it is anhyzering a lot. I can shoot it level forehand for about 180 feet, but with a big fade at the end. I have been using a pro beast, but i shoot that a bit high.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:17 pm

S Series Sabres are great discs to "find your distance" with... or maybe a DX Leopard or Cheetah. My friend learned with an Express in X plastic.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby rodman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:10 pm

My vote is also the Star TL. It is an awsome semi fast disc that you can throw with speed but it also is dependable on other shots too. Basically a very straight disc and practically indestructable. You'll love it. It's my goto disc.
rodman
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:26 pm

i think you should avoid Z or champion plastic.

the X XL is a great version of the XL. if there's not a lot of wind and it's not THRASHED you should be able to throw it without it flipping uncontrollably. if you can't it's your technique that's flawed.

the discs blake has been pushing lately for people in your range (ie: most of us); DX gazelle, D cyclone, DX eagle. they're all stable discs that can get beat in for a while before becoming 'understable'. they all have enough fade to make them predictable. they're all fairly high speed stable and won't flip uncontrollably if you have good technique.
i highly recommend taking blake's advice and diving into the low grade plastic trend a lot of discgolfreview readers already have. they don't break in as fast as you'de think. if you buy a couple you can really slow the process down + you'll have more to practice with (for the same price as 1 star disc) + you can end up with various stages of wear in the same mold = knowing your discs better for whatever the situation calls for. they're also longer (!) and the flight characteristics are more gradual (slower turn, slower fade) making them more consistent.
what you decide to throw will affect your technique... the 3 above mentioned discs will guide your technique to the right place.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:58 pm

I was going to recommend an x avenger. The xl is a super straight disc with minimal fade ( I through one for years). The xs is a tad less stable, much like a valkerie (may flip right for you). I used an xs for the longest time for right turns.

I am a big fan of x plastic; HOWEVER, there are a few discs that I prefer in z, and both of these are in that category. The others being the xpress and predator.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby smpen45 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:53 pm

[quote="TexasOutlaw"]I was going to recommend an x avenger. The xl is a super straight disc with minimal fade ( I through one for years). The xs is a tad less stable, much like a valkerie (may flip right for you). I used an xs for the longest time for right turns.

I am a big fan of x plastic; HOWEVER, there are a few discs that I prefer in z, and both of these are in that category. The others being the xpress and predator.[/quote]

I threw thAT THE other day, and i really liked the feel. But, im worried about long term stability./
smpen45
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:37 pm

the best advice i can give is not to treat discs like everlasting gobstoppers.

every disc will change, and 99% of discs fly better when they are broken in than when they are new.

the only discs i like when new more than when broken in generally fly like crap in general and get really crappy when they have broken in.

anything brand new in champ/z plastic that flies straight will get flippy when it breaks in and probably be squirrely and unpredictable when new. anything brand new in champ/z that flies straight when broken in will be overstable when new.

the speed a disc breaks in at is directly related to the number of times you throw it per round. that is the truest statement you will ever hear. 4 dx discs carried concurrently will outlast 1 champ/z disc in both wear and longevity (you are way more apt to lose 1 disc than lose 4).

the sooner people worry about durability, the less they worry about flight. you have to pretty much choose one of the two. you can make a cheaper plastic disc last longer, but it's hard to make an expensive plastic disc fly better.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jwt4412 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:50 pm

you can make a cheaper plastic disc last longer, but it's hard to make an expensive plastic disc fly better.

Is this the reason to carry a bag that can carry 20 discs when one is trying to maintain a "disc minimalization" regiment?

"minimalization" - is that even a word?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:12 pm

X plastic is pretty durable, but the x avenger breaks into a great stable driver. It takes a while to turn understable. When it does, grab another and make it stable. You will eventually have 2 avengers, understable, stable, and overstable. They also roll well!

You can also try Blake's suggestion of carrying several and rotating them. They only break in if you throw them on almost every hole (which I do).

I think you will be happy with one. Stepping to a z or esp avenger will give you a much more overstable driver which is not what you are looking for. Incidentally, I pulled my elite z in favor of my esp avenger which has been money on certain holes, including a headwind hole.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 am

Is this the reason to carry a bag that can carry 20 discs when one is trying to maintain a "disc minimalization" regiment?

yes.

if i had my choice and the bag space, i would be carrying:
4 dx valks
4 d cyclones
2 z crush
1 z pred
6 dx rocs
4 s wizards

6 molds, 21 discs. unfortunately my bag only holds 14. honestly, i haven't ever retired a disc for being too understable. once a disc becomes so beat that it is a turnover/roller disc, it ends up seeing much fewer throws... and thus ages more slowly.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Next

Return to Equipment