Bag Advice

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag Advice

Postby Glock23 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:01 am

Ok, so I have been playing since Feb or so. I have been through the "It is the newest most expensive disc, it must be what I need!" stage already, and I am trying to form a solid bag. Most days my form is pretty good. I probably throw 300 ft on average, and maybe a little more if the planets are aligned. Lately I have been trying to really work on my form, and have played some Roc only rounds to try and smooth everything out. At one point I was carrying 15-18 discs, but realized that 8-10 of them never were even thrown. If you guys don't mind, I will list out all of the discs that I own, and would love your opinion on what your setup would be. I am planning on purchasing some new dx to replace a lot of my champ/Z stuff, so if there is something you would reccomend that is great! A lot of these were pond discs or purchased in a lot online. Some of them (bulldog, star aviar, ect) I never carry or throw.

Discs:
Star SL - 164
Champ Beast - 175
Z Wildcat - 169
Z Flash - 169
Pro Valk - 172
Star Sidewinder (2) - 175
Champ Sidewinder - 175
Z XL - 174
CE Eagle - 175
JLS - 172
Z Cyclone - 172
DX Leopard - 175
Polaris LS - 169
DX Stingray - 172
DX Roc (2) 175, 180
Champ Coyote - 175
DX Bulldog - 175
Star Aviar - 173
JK Aviar - 174

Here is my current setup.
SL, Wildcat, Valk, Sidewinder, JLS, Polaris LS, Rocs, Coyote, JK Aviar
Thanks for any help or advice!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby CincyKeith » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:21 am

To start with the easy part:

Putter/Approach:
Your JK Aviar is fine for this
You might want to get another for approaches/drives, unless you feel comfortable with the star aviar. Otherwise get a DX Aviar....I think a really beat putter is an priceless tool to have in your bag.

Midrange:
Ideally, you could have 3 rocs in various stages of wear. Work on some more 1 disc rounds with your rocs.....and you'll have a nice STRAIGHT roc. Until then, you could carry the coyote OR stingray to fill that role, pick one or the other.

Tweener:
You shouldn't need the Leopard, JLS, XL, and the Polaris. I like Leopards, but it's up to you. Just something you can RELY on to go where you want.

Drivers:
This is the more difficult part. Choose something that you can throw 300' like you said.....probably your Sidewinders? You'll also need something for a light to moderate headwind (maybe your SL) and a heavy headwind.

For right now, your Z Cyclone might be able to hold up to any headwind, but I would suggest either Firebirds or Predators. Predators are great (although they don't fit into my hands right) and you can get a Z Pred for heavy headwinds and break in some X Preds for moderate headwinds.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:24 am

overlap:
Star SL - 164
Champ Beast - 175
Z Wildcat - 169
Z Flash - 169
Pro Valk - 172

overlap:
Z XL - 174
JLS - 172
Polaris LS - 169

overlap:
Star Sidewinder (2) - 175
Champ Sidewinder - 175
DX Leopard - 175
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby ParanoidPiranhasDave » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:59 am

I've only played for about 3 months now, so I'm not very good. However, I'm obsessed and I've read everything I can find about the sport.
I've read the reviews and the advice. I've read about what the badasses carry. I've perused the bags of the local disc celebrities. From all of this, I've restructured the contents of my bag to:

DX Wraith for innaccurate big D (newish)
DX Teebird for accurate D (new)
Pro D Cyclone for long anyhyzer fades and control shots(new)
A super beat up cyclone for anyhyzers and flip shots
DX Rocs for my midranges (one newish, one kinda beat)
Firm Wizard for upshots and putter drives (newish)
SS Wizard for putts (new)
CE Orc for wind shots

Carrying only my rocs, teebird and wizards for the last few rounds, I'm throwing 3 or 4 strokes under what I used to (on average), and learning more about my game than I feel I ever could have with a bag full of a bunch of different types of plastics and molds. The teebirds don't feel as long as my old Valks, but they're a "no excuses" mold. For me, with Valks, I would toss it out there and hope the flight pattern would compensate for my lack of skill. But with Teebirds, they go where I throw them, and nowhere else. In that way, they've taught me a lot about my throwing.

I do intend to carry 2-3 Teebirds of varying wear, as well as a beat up roc, once I find one.
Paranoid Piranhas!

Disc golf kicks minge.
ParanoidPiranhasDave
Noob

Return to Equipment