Scream DT (DIMPLE TECHNOLOGY)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Scream DT (DIMPLE TECHNOLOGY)

Postby LWSMITH » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:50 pm

I just got the new Gateway Scream DT, this disc uses "Dimple Technology"

Has anybody else tried this disc, having thrown it during a couple of rounds I can say it adds about 20-30 feet of distance.

The Gateway website states that for arms like mine, 49 year old weak, this disc will add some distance, I think it does.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LWSMITH on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWSMITH
Noob

Postby Eric O » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Examined a few of these discs but didn't throw. While the dimple technology looks like it would work as far as the physics are concerned, I don't like the idea of having to rely on something like that to place my drives where I want to. Plus the depressions looks like they will serve better as dirt collectors than a flight aid.

To summarize, I am pretty skeptical.

One thing I would like to know before passing judgement is how these discs break in. Seems like it is anyone's guess how adding the additional variable of surface pattern will affect the long term wear and flight characteristics when the disc ages and takes hits.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MrTasses » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:43 am

Eric, I'll take the added technology any day if it works. And I am betting that your bag isn't full of Aeros and Aviars so you've likely adopted some advancments already.

I am very curious how they will break in too. The ones I have thrown are all E plastic so it's probably going to take a while to beat in. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the dimples take a very overstable disc and turn it into a understable disc. And the biggest problems for most people might be that the scream is really pretty understable right out of the box. along the lines of a sidewinder.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:20 pm

the DT creates more airfriction, thus more lift, but also along lift, more airfriction means less stable, which also makes a longer disc for weaker arms.

The dimples are made from their E plastic which means they will add some rigity/durability to the disc also. The DT I threw was not quite stable enough to make my bag. It did fly almost as far as my avengers w/ a 75% power hyzerflip which says alot about what It could do for weaker arms.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby MrTasses » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:02 am

Now here are a few crazy ideas...

As the ridges of the honeycombs on the Scream DT wear a little, will it cause the disc to come back to being more stable?

Could one sand down the dimples on the wing a little to make it more stable?

Will wear of the ridges and the other disc break-in factors counteract each other keeping the disc pretty much the same as out-of-the-box?

Or will the thing just turn into a roller in about 6 months?
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:39 am

I have no idea.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:51 pm

MrTasses wrote:Or will the thing just turn into a roller in about 6 months?
I would put my money right here.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment