distance vs. control

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

distance vs. control

Postby ApesOfWrath » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:48 am

so I read some stuff on here and decided to pitch my wraith and starfire and pick up a slower dx driver. problem is now im throwing my dx valk farther than i was throwing the faster champ discs. so now i have a couple questions:

-should i leave the valk in my bag for max d and pick up something even slower, say a leopard?

-when choosing a slow, control driver, why does blake still recommend dx plastic? i was under the impression that champ gave more predictable results, while sacrificing some distance.

thanks
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Re: distance vs. control

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:08 pm

ApesOfWrath wrote:
-should i leave the valk in my bag for max d and pick up something even slower, say a leopard?

That's what I would do. I'd go with a Teebird or Cyclone over the Leopard as it will have a bit longer life as a straight disc before it becomes super understable.

ApesOfWrath wrote:-when choosing a slow, control driver, why does blake still recommend dx plastic? i was under the impression that champ gave more predictable results, while sacrificing some distance.

Because dx discs fade less and later in their flight. They also turn into discs that need to be thrown with hyzer to go straight and that's a necessary shot.

thanks[/quote]
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:15 pm

I would agree w/ tree, a good control driver such as a cyclone, gazelle or teebird (cyclone and gazelle being versitle and teebird being straight). The valk is a good choice to keep for max d.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby ApesOfWrath » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:25 pm

I havent thrown teebirds too much...it wouldnt overlap with a valk?
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Postby adidadg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 pm

ApesOfWrath wrote:I havent thrown teebirds too much...it wouldnt overlap with a valk?

Nope, teebird is noticably slower (while still pretty fast), and much more stable.
adidadg

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:30 pm

no. a teebird isnt quite as long and has a straight flight path. a valk is slightly longer and has a pronounced S shaped flight path. (high speed understable and low speed overstable)

in a nutshell at least :)
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby ApesOfWrath » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:32 pm

so is versatility a more important characteristic in a control, go-to driver than straightness?
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Postby adidadg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:00 pm

ApesOfWrath wrote:so is versatility a more important characteristic in a control, go-to driver than straightness?

I find that the straightest flying drivers usually are the most versatile.... Any of the drivers TDK mentioned are good for a wide variety of shots (but the teebird flys the longest IMO)
adidadg

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:10 pm

its usually about your preference. I carry both a gazelle and a Teebird. The Teebird is great for pretty much everything but a short low S turn because it dosent have much fade unless its given lots of height. so for the right turns and S turns i use a Gazelle.

Either disc would be OK by itself, but i think they compliment eachother great. if you only get one, id say the gazelle, but eventually give the teebird a try.
Last edited by jgarcia9102 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby ApesOfWrath » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:10 pm

im not really too concerned about distance, Im just looking to find my go to driver on 250 to 350 ft drives

i think i will try a teebird
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:44 pm

dx plastic allows you to "work the line" for a much longer period of flight. with champ plastic you will have to fight its natural tendencies much harder to get a similar path.

straight discs generally lack versatility in that they are... straight.

your go to disc depends on what your home course is like. if it is 18 holes of tunnel shots that are all straight, a teebird will be a great go to. if you are constantly needing to throw shots that change direction, a more versatile disc is in order.

i've never really found a dx teebird to be able to perform all shots well, so i've always complimented it with something that had an s path, e.g. eagle, cyclone, gazelle, valk.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby adidadg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:14 pm

what i meant was they fly straight when thrown straight, will hold hyzer when thrown hyzer, hold anny when thrown anny etc which will cover a lot of (if not most) shots...but yeah for S-shots and whatnot some other discs will perform better.
adidadg

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:02 am

i find the problem is that very rarely do you want shots that have a "static" angle behavior.

there are a few shots teebirds can't perform:
1) big s-curve in a reasonable amount of height
2) turnover roller
3) wide hyzer (i.e. 50' out to the right, 50' back).
4) gentle hyzer flip s

the teebird will definitely hold angles, but the downside is that its characteristics aren't very conducive to a lot of shots that have full flight manipulation.
Blake_T

Postby garublador » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:31 am

Blake_T wrote:i've never really found a dx teebird to be able to perform all shots well, so i've always complimented it with something that had an s path, e.g. eagle, cyclone, gazelle, valk.

I'm redoing my bag in this area so I'm curious as to which version of Cyclone you'd recommend. I've been throwing a D Cyclone that has been getting pretty straight with a decent fade, but would an X Cyclone be better for 'S' shots to complement a Teebird? Granted this may be moot if I decide that I like the Gazelle better than the Cyclone, but it never hurts to ask.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:14 pm

the x cyclone is too high speed stable to really fill this role.

you are basically shooting out the dx gazelle and d cyclone. if you can find old mold dx eagles they also fill this role. the JLS is borderline.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment